Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 03:17 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,541,873 times

Advertisements

Green card' students suspended
By Christopher Burbach
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
« Metro/RegionRSS SHARE

Several Lincoln East students have been suspended in the wake of an incident that occurred after the state soccer championship match Tuesday night in Omaha.

Homemade “green cards” were tossed into the air as fans and players celebrated the Lincoln school's championship win over the largely Latino Omaha South Packers team.

Susan Cassata, Lincoln East principal, said Wednesday that the suspended students are being referred to the school's office of student services

She said officials hadn't talked about prohibiting those students from participating in commencement ceremonies.

After Tuesday night's game, dozens of the paper rectangles, a reference to immigration status, lay at midfield behind the Lincoln players and coaches as they received their trophy and medals.

As soon as the ceremony ended, several East administrators and a tearful student rushed onto the field and hurriedly scooped up the paper.

Like many South fans and others in the stadium, they had noticed and been offended by the stunt.

On Wednesday, Lincoln East Principal Sue Cassata said school officials “are investigating the students who were responsible for making the green cards and bringing the green cards and distributing them.”

Students involved in the incident will be disciplined, she said.

It appears that four students handed the cards out to a couple of hundred students, Cassata said. Administrators had become aware of the cards earlier, confiscated some and warned students that those found displaying the cards would be kicked out of the stadium.

Cassata said East's athletic director sent an apology to South's athletic director. Cassata said she planned to apologize to South Principal Cara Riggs.

“There are a number of students in some classes who are upset about this and are in the process of writing apologies on their own,” Cassata said.

She said East administrators and faculty will express their disappointment to their students “and how that makes us look as an institution, and how we're going to grow from this.”

“It's probably the most heart-wrenching, disappointing event that I've ever been around with students and their behavior that tarnished an event that was otherwise spectacular on both sides,” Cassata said.

South players appeared to ignore the cards, if they saw them. But many coaches and fans noticed them.

South Athletic Director Roni Huerta said the school had received several calls Wednesday morning. She said the South community was offended and needs to be assured that Lincoln schools officials “are dealing with this at the highest level.”

On Wednesday, Riggs said South and East administrators are trying to work together to deal with the incident and prevent things like it from happening in the future.

“We're very grateful that they're being sensitive and responsive to what happened, and that they're taking it very seriously,” she said. “Sometimes in our own school community a few kids do something that can represent our whole school community, so we can feel for that, too.”

She said South leaders “don't want it to take away from a beautiful graduation and a beautiful (soccer) season and an amazing setting for most of the evening."

Tuesday night, Omaha Police Capt. Rich Gonzalez grimaced as the cloud of green paper fluttered onto the field after what was believed to be the largest crowd in state high school soccer history had watched East win in overtime.

“It's sad that these students represent Lincoln East High School and its faculty and staff,” Gonzalez said. “To try to humiliate another team, especially when it has to do with race, is a complete act of unsportsmanship.”

A few minutes later, an East student was distraught as she picked up the paper.

“This makes me want to cry,” she said. “This does not represent my school.”

Omaha South coach Joe Maass called the tossing of cards “classless.''

Maass talked to East coach Jeff Hoham about the incident.

“Fans do silly things,” Hoham told Maass. “Make sure your kids know it wasn't intentional.”

“It never is,” Maass replied as he walked away.

'Green card' students suspended - Omaha.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 08:07 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
Whats the bigger lesson here? Why cant anyone see the emporerors new clothes?

Old 05-20-2010, 08:17 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,469,460 times
So there are a few things to say about this.

First, the people that thought of this and executed this plan are fools. I'm sure they thought it would be soo funny, but congratulations you are all *******s.

Second, suspending kids a week before school gets out for the summer seems worthless to me.

Third, with everyone in this world teaching tolerance, did they forget to teach us to be tolerant of the intolerant people? The teachers, the principals, the coaches, the parents are all soooo upset and having a fit and freaking out. Forcing apologies and being all hysterical. The South students meanwhile may think it's rude or un-necessary, but they aren't freaking out. At this point I've been impressed at how the South students have taken this in stride and brushed off the intolerant few at East.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:32 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Whats the bigger lesson here? Why cant anyone see the emporerors new clothes?
What IS the bigger lesson?

From what I read on some other news sources, it sounds like the Lincoln East School is trying to atone for this, rather than just make excuses. I suppose that's a step in the right direction.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:41 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
My first reaction was to chuckle a bit, in light of the recent controversies regarding illegal aliens. Honestly though, no one has any reason to suggest that any of the students are illegally in this country, and to make fun of them being immigrants is classless.

I work with several people from India, China, a few from Europe and other countries. Nothing wrong with legal immigration, and it makes our country better.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:21 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,541,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
What IS the bigger lesson?

From what I read on some other news sources, it sounds like the Lincoln East School is trying to atone for this, rather than just make excuses. I suppose that's a step in the right direction.
I am glad Lincoln East atoned.

as a alumni rep of a Omaha area high school we have schools who pick on each other all the time,

cause of rivalries and like they are proud of their schools

I am proud of Omaha North,

but it is just a small ribbing and we try to be nice to each other and not be crude. after all, all of us are rooting for our home team or school.

I am actually friends with reps from other schools.

but we all (students and alums) know there is a line we dont cross.

and Lincoln East High school of Lincoln Nebraska crossed the line the other night and I am glad they apologized and atoned for that stunt a few students did.

even certain high schools in the Omaha area known for trying to be controversial at times (Millard West) wouldnt have done something like Lincoln East did.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:51 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
My first reaction was to chuckle a bit, in light of the recent controversies regarding illegal aliens. Honestly though, no one has any reason to suggest that any of the students are illegally in this country, and to make fun of them being immigrants is classless.

I work with several people from India, China, a few from Europe and other countries. Nothing wrong with legal immigration, and it makes our country better.
It is rather unfortunate that so many white people ASSUME that ALL Hispanics are here illegally. And it's also a dangerous ASSUMPTION that all these Hispanics are coming here with sinister motives, as if their goal is to take over the country, subdue and destroy it.

I think most of them are here because they want a shot at a better life.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:55 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,469,460 times
I wonder if there are hispanics at Lincoln East? How do they feel about their fellow students?

Old 05-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It is rather unfortunate that so many white people ASSUME that ALL Hispanics are here illegally. And it's also a dangerous ASSUMPTION that all these Hispanics are coming here with sinister motives, as if their goal is to take over the country, subdue and destroy it.

I think most of them are here because they want a shot at a better life.
It is rather unfortunate that we have 10's of millions of Illegal aliens in our country, THAT is the unfortunate part.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:23 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
It is rather unfortunate that we have 10's of millions of Illegal aliens in our country, THAT is the unfortunate part.

Couldn't agree more that there are people that break the law by waking up in this country every morning.

However....can ANYONE say that any specific athlete from South is here illegally? And is a high school soccer game the place to address it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha