Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 01:29 PM

10 posts, read 13,497 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone! My husband may be getting a job in Irvine which will require us to move in the next few months (we currently live in Ventura County). All of my extended family live in Oceanside and Escondido. So if we do end up moving I would really like to be as close to them as possible while still being within a reasonable distance for commuting to Irvine. For this reason we're thinking somewhere in S. OC. We have three young daughters, the oldest is going into 2nd grade. So obviously my biggest concern is good schools. I'm not very familiar with South Orange County. So I'm looking for recommendations for the best suburban areas to raise a family. Thanks for any help you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 01:56 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,440,732 times
Laguna Niguel, Dana Point, San Clemente, Mission Viejo, Laguna Hills, Rancho Santa Margarita, Ladera Ranch, Lake Forest, Las Flores, etc.... all nice suburban cities and communities that in general have good schools and are family friendly. I would pick a neighborhood, house, and school you like best. All the areas are fairly similar. Some are more master planned, others larger in population, some slight different housing styles, age of homes vary, two school districts (Saddleback Valley and Capistrano Unified), some closer to beach, some with different association amenities, some with mello roos, etc...

Do you have more specific questions???

Old 06-30-2010, 01:57 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
I would think that anywhere in south Orange county would have good schools. Laguna Niguel or San Juan Capistrano are good cities at least halfway to Oceanside.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the info. I guess really what I'm looking for is some general information about the S. OC areas from a local that knows all the little nuances of the different cities. We like slower-paced areas that will also have younger families. I should also mention that are price point for rent is between 2500 - 3000/mo, so definitely on the lower end for OC I know. But we're not looking for anything huge or extravagent. Just a clean cute house in a nice neighborhood. Thanks again!

Old 06-30-2010, 02:13 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinalisa View Post
Thanks for the info. I guess really what I'm looking for is some general information about the S. OC areas from a local that knows all the little nuances of the different cities. We like slower-paced areas that will also have younger families. I should also mention that are price point for rent is between 2500 - 3000/mo, so definitely on the lower end for OC I know. But we're not looking for anything huge or extravagent. Just a clean cute house in a nice neighborhood. Thanks again!
missionhome is the expert!

Old 06-30-2010, 04:01 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,440,732 times
OK, here are my recommendations taking into consideration your price and getting you a nice neighborhood with kids, good schools, and a single family home. These aren't in any particular order.

Laguna Niguel: This has the best weather of the cities I am recommending. Its anywhere from 1.5 to 5 miles from the ocean and most of the city gets wonderful ocean breezes. You are not far at all from beaches like Salt Creek, Doheny (both in Dana Point), and Laguna Beach. Laguna Niguel is probably the most "upscale" choice. Mix of everything here from multi million dollar ocean view mansions to many middle class family friendly neighborhoods. EXCELLENT city park system that is well maintained, good shopping within the city, and close to 73 tollroad and 5 freeway. Major shopping at Aliso Towne Center and the Shops at Mission Viejo Mall not far. The city is part of Capistrano Unified School District. All elementary schools are top performing and very good with possible exceptions at Crown Valley and Hidden Hills Elementary. Areas attending Niguel Hills Middle School and Don Juan Avila Middle School are good. AVOID areas attending Marco Forester in San Juan Capistrano. Aliso Niguel High and Dana Hills High, in adjacent Aliso Viejo and Dana Point are very good.

Mission Viejo: The biggest city south of Irvine and well known for its master planned community. Housing stock ranges from 1960's-early 2000's so it is an established city, but still has tons of family friendly neighborhoods and all neighborhoods show pride of ownership. Neighborhoods farther east or more north are newer and have more kids. Center piece of city is Lake Mission Viejo. For residents that live in most of Mission Viejo, they will become automatic members of the lake association and get to use the two beaches for swimming and have access to boat rentals such as electric party boats, kayaks, sailboats, etc... A great place for a day with the family. Lots of shopping and home to Shops at Mission Viejo Mall anchored by Nordstrom, Macy's, Old Navy, and Saks Fifth Avenue. Served by Saddleback Valley Unified and Capistrano Unified roughly 50/50. I recommend all of our very good elementary schools in the city, with the exception of Viejo Elementary (CUSD), and Lina Vista and Glen Yermo Elementary of SVUSD. Newhart Middle School (CUSD), Los Alisos Intermediate (SVUSD), and La Paz Intermediate (SVUSD) are recommended schools. Capistrano Valley High (CUSD), Mission Viejo High (SVUSD), and Trabuco Hills High (SVUSD) are good schools that will prepare your kids to do well in college. Closest to Irvine on 5 freeway of cities I recommend.

Rancho Santa Margarita: Master planned and the newest city I recommend. It will be farthest from Irvine and is the most inland up against the mountains, but a very nice city. Homes are almost all newer (90's or newer) and the city "matches" the most as almost everything is tan. Good shopping, but a bit of a drive to some areas near 5 freeway that are major shopping areas. Farthest to beach and freeway. Toll road runs through the city. Excellent association for the community with a nice lake (no swimming though like in Mission Viejo) in the center and good community pools. Las Flores is similar to RSM, but is actually an unincorporated community, but still very nice. RSM is also split between SVUSD and CUSD. I recommend all of the city's elementary schools except for Trabuco Elementary in rural Trabuco Canyon. Middle Schools are very good (Arroyo Vista Middle School in CUSD) and Santa Margarita Intermediate in SVUSD are top performing schools. SVUSD residents can have a bit of a drive to Mission Viejo High or Trabuco Hills High in Mission Viejo. Capistrano Unified residents attend high performing Tesoro High School in unincorporated Las Flores.

---Please check the extensive "Pictures of Orange County Thread" at the top of the Orange County forum. It has an extensive collection of pictures from South Orange County included in it.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:08 PM

Wow, thank you SO much for taking the time & effort to give me such a wealth of information! I really appreciate it, and this helps a lot. Based on the information you provided and the research I've done I think we might be leaning towards Laguna Niguel (we love the beach and cooler weather). But we'll see what happens. Again, thanks a lot. You are definitely the expert!

Old 06-30-2010, 05:59 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
This will probably be helpful too, very geared towards South Orange County:

Useful Househunting Tools

Old 06-30-2010, 08:34 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,949,630 times
I grew up in south OC, and after spending time living in other cities in SoCal, I have to say that everything between the Irvine Spectrum and Camp Pendelton is almost like the same city sprawling over a huge area. The only exceptions are Laguna Beach, which is an artsy little beach town, and San Juan Capo, which is an old Latino enclave. Everything else is master-planned suburbia. Just my opinion, of course.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:45 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
All elementary schools are top performing and very good with possible exceptions at Crown Valley. AVOID areas attending Marco Forester in San Juan Capistrano.
Always wondered why I was a bumbling idiot. Now I know why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County