Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2010, 11:10 AM

35 posts, read 123,434 times

Advertisements

relocating to coastal orange county. sunset beach has recently piqued my interest. 50ish, single dad, youngest is leaving for college imminently. now it's my time. i enjoy the beach, enjoy the motorcycle(s), some mountain-biking..and looking forward to a more laid-back, less bankers/brokers, less angst-ridden atmosphere. trying to avoid the "planet of the soccer moms" (areas). those days = rear view mirror.

i'd enjoy hearing "locals" insights, thoughts and candor re sunset beach....paricularly how it differs from huntington, newport, etc., likes/dislikes, etc.....as well hearing about other areas worthy of exploring. i have some time/flexibility.

thanks to all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 04:20 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Many view anywhere in OC/SD as a bit too "regional" feeling for anyone but those working at Pimco, Qualcomm or Broadcom, etc

Would consider SantaMonica area for a more cosmopolitan coastal area...lots of <50yo semi-retirees and retirees from various industries (heavily SiliconValley tech and financial guys but also a lot of NYC/Chicago financiers and Dallas/Houston energy guys), as well as the often entertaining clowns who run LA's entertainment industry...and the younger model/actress-wannabes from all over US and RoW who gravitate to such areas

More importantly, much more interesting driving roads than in OC are found in nearby Malibu cyns; more innovative, arguably higher-quality restaurants/bars in SM area (and in BH)....a better mix of both classic casual coastal CA weather/topography/air quality/cuisine and some urbanity of nearby BevHills when in mood for that culture

Old 07-03-2010, 04:55 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
He wants laid back and you're telling him to live in Santa Monica?

I say keep heading north into Ventura County and beyond assuming you don't have the bucks to live with the movie stars in Malibu.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:20 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
????????????

I don't get either response.

Sunset Beach is a small area with lots of restaurants and bars. No soccer moms to speak of, though you are not far from new build areas of Huntington Beach where anoying blabbing women who have watched waaaaay too much of "The Real Housewives of OC" live at.

Less crowded than Huntington Beach(though every property is basically 2 feet from the next), much more downscale than Newport Beach.

If you can afford it, enjoy.

Anyway, if you can afford Sunset Beach, its a pretty nice place IMO. Always nice to walk a few minutes in great weather into your choice of bars at 3 in the afternoon.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:23 PM

76 posts, read 174,107 times
Laguna Beach is always an option and you are close to many hiking/mountain biking trails and Ortega Highway for motorcycle trips.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:05 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Sunset Beach and Surfside both fit exactly what you're talking about. I would highly recommend them based on what you're asking for.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:41 PM

5 posts, read 11,876 times
Of all the beach communities in the OC Sunset Beach is the best, but the problem is is that it is sooo small that you can't avoid the "soccer mom" type life style surrounding it. I can tell you that the best place along the coast for a small town beach feel is Cayucos without a doubt. It's right next to Morro Bay and both are about 20 mins north of San Luis Obispo. I love both these towns and am so sad every time I leave. A huge plus, youre about 20 mins to some of the best wine tasting around with over 200 wineries tucked inside what are called the Irish Hills. Where else can you surf, kayak, mountain bike, and wine taste all in one day? Gorgeous, laid back, perfect.... in my opinion of course. Good Luck!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County