Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 05:32 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
yeah, I think that is closed
I just drove past it about 6 weeks ago. It's in a new location across from the airport. Hogue Barmichaels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 06:59 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
thank you for all the generous suggestions (and glad to see threads get hijacked in Orange County, too!).....

wish I could've tried Heidi's in Newport....

appreciate your time....

Old 07-20-2010, 07:42 PM

76 posts, read 226,854 times
You can also check out the Penguin Cafe in Laguna Beach (900 block of south Pacific Coast Highway). It's a tiny greasy spoon dive type place that's been there probably at least 50+ years. Haven't been there in the last year or two but food and atmosphere were great.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:53 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Please post back detailing where you ate, what you ate, and your opinions.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:41 AM

499 posts, read 2,157,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Speaking of Newport, anyone remember Heidis? That is exactly what the OP is looking for. We miss her. She used to yell at me for allowing my wife to pay even though she was using our joint credit card. She said that the man should pay, it looks ungentlemanly otherwise. She also used to tell me what I could and could not eat. She forced me to order bisquits and gravy which I would never have ordered. I still love them to this day.
Was Heidi's on Main in Balboa? am I thinking of the right thing? Wasn't there a restaurant next to where the hardware store was, or by the post office, or actually where the post office is now?
We had a sportfishing boat out of Davey's locker when I was a kid (60's to 80's) I spent a lot of time down at the Pavilion as a kid, but it's all kind of foggy now. If we're talking about same person, I miss her, she was a really nice lady. Not shy about telling you what's what, but nice. Did her husband cook? was his name Richard? You just opened a floodgate of memories, but I'm not sure if they're even connected, haha!

Old 07-21-2010, 10:13 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Here's a real old Balboa memory. The bait shop at the end of the pier. There was an older lady who had a little grill in there She used to split hot dogs down the middle, lay them flat on the grill, fry them up and serve them on a hamburger bun. Best.Dog.Ever. They also had hot chocolate that was out of this world.

Spent many a morning with my dad out on that pier, (sitting IN the marine layer LOL) fishing. For a real treat he'd get us an Abba Zabba. That was Bal at its best! Anybody else remember the bait shop?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-21-2010 at 10:31 AM..

Old 07-21-2010, 02:03 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Heidi's was at the beach end of the street the leads away from the ferry landing. Across the street from Studio Cafe (or whatever it is called now). There was a chinese or tawaineese resturuant next door for a while. It had an odd name like "4" . Her husband was dead when I knew her. She died of cancer a few years ago. She was a Balboa icon. Her place was a smallcafe that was just called "Heidi's" They had the best breakfasts ever, plus you could get amusingly abused by Heidi and find out everything and anything that was gong on in Balboa at the same time.

I especially liked Heidis a lot becuase I had a Sulfur Crested Cockatoo and she had no problem with me bringing him with me (on my shoulder) when we went there for breakfast. Bubbles liked us to bring him in as well. Many other places would not allow it since it is technically a health code violation.

My wife reminded me that on time we were there, Heidi would not allow her to pay and sent me home to get my wallet.

There is a painting of Heidi partway up the stairs at Newport landing. She was about 4'5" tall, so it is not hard to pick out the painting.

Anyway, back to the otiginal topic - there is a nrms at the corner of 17th and Main in Santa Ana. However if you are that close to Pops, just go to Pops. At Pop's ask for crystal and teel her that you want to be called Honey or Hun. She will call you whatever you want. (as long as you leave a tip).

Old 07-21-2010, 07:17 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
At Pop's ask for crystal and teel her that you want to be called Honey or Hun. She will call you whatever you want. (as long as you leave a tip).
That sounds remarkably like a date with a hooah. Not that I would know anything about that stuff.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:37 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
That sounds remarkably like a date with a hooah. Not that I would know anything about that stuff.
No just a nice easygoing waitress who has been there a long time and will work with customers. The OP said he wants to find a palce where the waitresses call him Hun or honey. All he needs ot do is ask.

Definitely not a hooah, In fact if you were to suggest that you would probably wake up with a painful bump on your head.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:40 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Benton's Coffee Shop or Mac's Coffee Break. You'll need a time machine though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County