Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:40 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Keep whining and crying. I am educated and I am public servant. I work with public servants, who mere police officers, who have PHD's and Master's Degree's.

Me? I am quite happy being a police officer. I make 150K a year (sometimes more). I'll be retired at 50 yrs old and out the door. YOU? You will be slivering your finger, with a paper cut, paying for my retirement. Keep the hatred up, it suits you.

Oh, yes, I forgot. YOU were the one who said the state would file bankruptcy. Yeah, didn't occor nor will it? Once I get in that sweet retirement system and I am protected until I retire, I could care less.

I'll send you nice emails from Paris, where I'll be and you will be paying for it. Why? Because you are self righteous prick, who deserves all that is bad done toward him.

You have no idea how much education and experience I have. You are a holier then though IDIOT, who puts down people, without knowing who and/or what they are about.

Why not channel your energy to something more positive. Not your obvious class envy, because you are, and always will be, a loser.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:56 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
i can't comment on firemen's salaries since i've never tried their job, however, i can say that the comment about firefighters being uneducated is completely false. sure many firefighters don't have bachelor's degrees, but they did have to go to school for not only their 2 year fire science degree but also had to go through EMT and probably paramedic training not to mention a fire academy (subjects that are 100% relevant to their jobs). the supply of potential firefighters is huge (didn't every little boy dream of being a firefighter), to stand out above the pack you really need a stellar resume with much more than just a fire science associate's degree.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:48 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,529,294 times
I can NOT believe this thread is still going! Uneducated? Are you kidding? Too much salary? ARE YOU KIDDING? I repeat from a year ago, they earn EVERY penny!

Would I want an extremely overweight, or worse yet, a starving, puny firefighter rushing to my house? I think not! I've had them at my house.....calm, in shape, full of protein and energy-producing carbs, and very much in control....a painter had a terrible fall......their quick actions saved his life until the ambulance arrived. I am well-educated. I sure as heck didn't know what to do in order to save that guy! I was too busy hyperventilating while I was trying to talk to the 911 operator. It was all I could do to keep my child upstairs so that she wouldn't see it. Let me tell you one thing.....blood with no oxygen in it is almost black. And when there is a hole in the back of a skull, it runs out very fast.

Oh, by the way, plenty of bullets are shot at firemen, too!

Millions of people read this very public, informative forum. A person is entitled to an opinion, but I can not believe that such ridiculous statements are made on here!

May you never have a need to call 911!

Old 08-31-2011, 07:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
From hanging out at Albertson's on Crown Valley to going to the gym at 24hr. Do these guys actually fight any fires?
Is there a resaon for this post? Of course they fight fires, and they do a lot more. So they are not fighting them 24/7. obviously there are not that many, but they do more than just fight fires for your information. EMTs are not the same and are trained in different fields.

Nita

Old 08-31-2011, 07:59 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
We live near the corner of Oso and Antonio. We hear firetrucks several times a week, probably from the Ladera Ranch station about a mile or two south on Antonio from us. I've never heard fire trucks so often.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
I can NOT believe this thread is still going! Uneducated? Are you kidding? Too much salary? ARE YOU KIDDING? I repeat from a year ago, they earn EVERY penny!

Would I want an extremely overweight, or worse yet, a starving, puny firefighter rushing to my house? I think not! I've had them at my house.....calm, in shape, full of protein and energy-producing carbs, and very much in control....a painter had a terrible fall......their quick actions saved his life until the ambulance arrived. I am well-educated. I sure as heck didn't know what to do in order to save that guy! I was too busy hyperventilating while I was trying to talk to the 911 operator. It was all I could do to keep my child upstairs so that she wouldn't see it. Let me tell you one thing.....blood with no oxygen in it is almost black. And when there is a hole in the back of a skull, it runs out very fast.

Oh, by the way, plenty of bullets are shot at firemen, too!

Millions of people read this very public, informative forum. A person is entitled to an opinion, but I can not believe that such ridiculous statements are made on here!

May you never have a need to call 911!
Uneducated is in comparison to a Bachelor's or Master's degree and the average pay that is normally associated with those degree's. People work hard and pay big bucks for a good degree and its expected that the payoff is a higher income than a job that requires less than a bachelor's degree. What firemen get in income, benefits and pension is not on a equal playing field with jobs in the private sector and we all know why. Its not because they put out fires or the danger involved, its because of the corrupt system and public unions that negotiate with the corrupt politician and most of all ... they are not spending their money ... they are spending tax payer (our) money. If the police and fire was contracted out to a private company you would then see pay and benefits inline with the private sector and a more affordable solution to local governments.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:18 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
OP will probably rethink his post during fire season

Old 08-31-2011, 09:25 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Uneducated is in comparison to a Bachelor's or Master's degree and the average pay that is normally associated with those degree's. People work hard and pay big bucks for a good degree and its expected that the payoff is a higher income than a job that requires less than a bachelor's degree.
Apples to oranges man. Most firefighters these days are well educated as i mentioned, it's not in the traditional BA/MA sense that you keep mentioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
What firemen get in income, benefits and pension is not on a equal playing field with jobs in the private sector and we all know why. Its not because they put out fires or the danger involved, its because of the corrupt system and public unions that negotiate with the corrupt politician and most of all ... they are not spending their money ... they are spending tax payer (our) money. If the police and fire was contracted out to a private company you would then see pay and benefits inline with the private sector and a more affordable solution to local governments.
this is merely speculation, but i would guess that if firefighters salaries were cut in this regard, then you'd see an across the board drop in quality among the next generation of firefighters.

having said all that, i do think firefighters are paid a bit more than i would expect. however, i also said that i've never done their job, so i am not one to judge what is and isn't fair. don9, have you ever worked as a firefighter? i would certainly respect your opinions much more if this is the case. if not, your opinion on this matter holds no water for me.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Apples to oranges man. Most firefighters these days are well educated as i mentioned, it's not in the traditional BA/MA sense that you keep mentioning.

this is merely speculation, but i would guess that if firefighters salaries were cut in this regard, then you'd see an across the board drop in quality among the next generation of firefighters.

having said all that, i do think firefighters are paid a bit more than i would expect. however, i also said that i've never done their job, so i am not one to judge what is and isn't fair. don9, have you ever worked as a firefighter? i would certainly respect your opinions much more if this is the case. if not, your opinion on this matter holds no water for me.
I started out wanting to be a fireman and took fire science classes. I ended up going into electrical engineering and project management in the private sector. I also have a relative who is a firefighter who was trained in the USAF and now working as a firefighter in the private sector.

People who are trained and work as a firefighter or police in the military and very well trained and highly motivated. They would make great employees as private fire/police contractors replacing public employees. I disagree that replacing public employees with contracted fire/police would result in less professional service. Actually you would see the opposite du to competition and if the contractors are non-union their pay would be based on performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County