Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:47 PM

21 posts, read 106,303 times

Advertisements

I recently came across this housing affordability calculator on CNNmoney and I was wondering if it's applicable to OC's housing market.

Affordable Home Calculator from CNNMoney

My partner recently got a job offer at a private practice in Irvine and according to the calculator if we have 400K down, the conservative minimum house price would be 1,904,652. However, from reading some of the previous posts, people suggest a family that makes 160K a year to purchase a 400K house. Our annual net income would be close to 450K, does this mean a 1.1mil purchase is more reasonable in OC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 06:52 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
No, the laws of finance don't apply here. You should be able to buy a $5M house easily. This is California. They aren't making any more land. Get in now or be left behind. You can't lose.

Last edited by EscapeCalifornia; 02-22-2010 at 07:24 PM..

Old 02-22-2010, 07:15 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
That's only a payment of about $12K a month. With a monthly income of just under $40K a month that's well within the guidelines of no more than 31%. Go for the $2MM house.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:06 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
There are tried and tested formulas for this that have been in use for decades prior to this super low downpayment, high ratio nonsense that started in the last 10 years. It's 28% front ratio, 36% back ratio, with 20% downpayment PERIOD! If you can't do that you should not be buying a house...simple as that. Buying a house is more expensive than people realize, way too often they scrape up the very bare minimum and then they are house poor and hanging by a thread and crying for help and god forbid they lose their job the house is gone because of course they didn't account for any emergencies...

...even in this terrible economy I am amazed at how people are taking super low downpayment FHA loans with high ratios without a care in the world thinking they will NEVER lose their jobs, yeah, only the other guy loses his job they will NEVER lose their job..rriiiight And Santa Claus is going to buy me a Ferrari next Christmas

Old 02-26-2010, 08:54 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzZactuary View Post
I recently came across this housing affordability calculator on CNNmoney and I was wondering if it's applicable to OC's housing market.

Affordable Home Calculator from CNNMoney

My partner recently got a job offer at a private practice in Irvine and according to the calculator if we have 400K down, the conservative minimum house price would be 1,904,652. However, from reading some of the previous posts, people suggest a family that makes 160K a year to purchase a 400K house. Our annual net income would be close to 450K, does this mean a 1.1mil purchase is more reasonable in OC?
Don't forget the property taxes and insurance. On a home that expensive they will be very HIGH.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:39 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,699,967 times
You bring in $450K/year, and you're asking an internet forum how much you can afford? You can't figure that out yourself?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
You bring in $450K/year, and you're asking an internet forum how much you can afford? You can't figure that out yourself?
It's like Neil Armstrong asking for directions to the grocery store.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:11 AM

21 posts, read 106,303 times
obviously from what I've read CA is different from the rest of the country. I just want to hear what people who are CURRENTLY living in OC have to say about the CNN Calculator.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:14 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzZactuary View Post
obviously from what I've read CA is different from the rest of the country. I just want to hear what people who are CURRENTLY living in OC has to say.
Here's what they have to say (note these survey results are from a realtors association, a group which normally puts a positive spin on things):
"Most California homesellers — a whopping 67% – who sold their homes last year couldn’t pay their mortgages, a survey by the California Association of Realtors shows.

“For the most part, the bottom line was, ‘I’m being squeezed out of my home because I couldn’t make my mortgage payments,’ ” said Leslie Appleton-Young, the association’s chief economist.

63% of homes fell out of escrow prior to closing.

In response to another question on specific financial woes, sellers cited difficulty meeting monthly mortgage obligations (30%); loss of a job (18%); and mortgage payment increases(15%) as among their primary motivations to sell, according to the 2009-2010 Survey of California Home Sellers."
from

Mortgage woes lead to most home sales - Lansner on Real Estate : The Orange County Register

Old 02-27-2010, 08:17 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Isn't housing affordability a personal issue that's the same wherever you live? If you can afford a $2MM home in East Squeedunk, you can afford one in Orange County. The income/payment guidelines are the same no matter where you are with just minor variation for utility, fuel, and food cost differentials (inconsequential at your income level). As to the type of house you can buy for that amount in different places, that's a different question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County