Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:32 AM

9 posts, read 31,802 times

Advertisements

Hi All -

Here is my own personal hell, I live in Ventura and have to work on site in a clients office in Huntington Beach right at the beach for two weeks and work the standard 9 to 5 hours they keep.

My boss who lives in Boston, who originally thought it was like a 20 min drive from my place to the clients office, thinks it's not that bad hey it's only 100 miles each way and we pay for mileage just drive it no need for a hotel. What my boss does not understand is this is up and down the 405 at rush hour, even google maps with traffic times says 3:45 with traffic and they are always a bit optimistic.

My question is do any of you do really long commutes on the 405 at rush hour ? I know this is not a realistic commute but I need more evidence to back up my claim that either my employer or the client needs to pay for a room.

Thanks in advance

T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 09:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0y View Post
Hi All -

Here is my own personal hell, I live in Ventura and have to work on site in a clients office in Huntington Beach right at the beach for two weeks and work the standard 9 to 5 hours they keep.

My boss who lives in Boston, who originally thought it was like a 20 min drive from my place to the clients office, thinks it's not that bad hey it's only 100 miles each way and we pay for mileage just drive it no need for a hotel. What my boss does not understand is this is up and down the 405 at rush hour, even google maps with traffic times says 3:45 with traffic and they are always a bit optimistic.

My question is do any of you do really long commutes on the 405 at rush hour ? I know this is not a realistic commute but I need more evidence to back up my claim that either my employer or the client needs to pay for a room.

Thanks in advance

T
Yes, you're right but even if 50 people replied on an anonymous City-Data forum to confirm the traffic, is that going to convince your boss?

Can you leave really early and hit a gym or coffee shop down there?

To your boss: This is an insane commute and he need to stay in a hotel.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:44 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
How is it the Boss' fault that you live in Ventura?

It's only for two lousy weeks - suck it up, pal!!!

I know this may sound incredible, but there are thousands upon thousands of people who spend several hours a day commuting to and from work, and/or who commute 100 miles or more to and from their jobs!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:56 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,955 times
Quote:
Hi All -

Thanks in advance

T
Get a cheap motel room and write it off your taxes.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:00 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Apply your daily mileage reimbursement towards an inexpensive motel room near where you work, Monday through Thursday nights.

Big deal...

Old 03-01-2011, 10:05 AM

3,245 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
I know this is not a realistic commute but I need more evidence to back up my claim that either my employer or the client needs to pay for a room.
3.25 miles in 40 minutes! Search Youtube for many more examples of the 405.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d5INcdTipg

Quote:
it's only 100 miles each way and we pay for mileage just drive it no need for a hotel.
At the standard IRS rate of .50/mile,the $100 mileage payment will be more than the cost of a motel on Beach Blvd.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Apply your daily mileage reimbursement towards an inexpensive motel room near where you work, Monday through Thursday nights.

Big deal...

I think he will only get reimbursed if he drives the miles. Reimburse isn't the same thing as an allotment or per diem.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:15 AM

621 posts, read 1,333,363 times
Hell, tell him you're driving it and get a room!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:27 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincam666 View Post
Hell, tell him you're driving it and get a room!
what he said! they're not going to check your odometer.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post

At the standard IRS rate of .50/mile,the $100 mileage payment will be more than the cost of a motel on Beach Blvd.
Rather than lie and risk losing your job and getting on an industry black list, present this to the boss and explain a hotel actually saves the company money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County