Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 01:15 PM

4 posts, read 16,149 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are moving from the suburbs of Chicago to the Orange County area in the end of July. His job is in Irvine, and I am still looking for a job. I need to transfer my teaching certificate but for now I’m looking for a nannying job. We are trying for a 2-bedroom apartment around $1800/month, since I don't know when I will have a job. We are willing to live in a 1-bedroom if necessary.

We both like the Park West apartments in Irvine, but I kind of wanted to stay away from the Irvine company, based on what I’ve read here ?
I found an apartment in Costa Mesa that I like that seems to be in a good location- within walking distance of Newport Beach restaurants, close to the beach, etc.
I also like that their pet deposit and pet rent is cheaper than in Irvine. I have two small dogs.

If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 03:03 PM

and by "trying for a 2-bedroom" I meant LOOKING for...long day

Old 06-26-2012, 05:07 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,232,991 times
My wife and I rented an apartment at Pinnacle at MacArthur Place from Bre Apartments for 4 years (we initially signed a 6 month lease, thinking that we'd buy a place soon). They are located right at the 55, 405, and 73 fwys in Santa Ana. 1 mile to Costa Mesa, .5 mile to Irvine, and 1.5 miles to Newport Beach. The apartment was about 15-25% priced under anything from Irvine Co and the apartment was 30% larger (we had an 819 sq ft 1bd/1ba with storage). The management and tenants were very courteous and the complex itself was unusually quiet. You share a swimming pool, spa, bbq, and clubhouse with a community of townhouses (they pay $300/month in HOA). We lived equidistant from two elevator banks, so we never had people walk past our apartment unit. Unfortunately that became our gripe when we moved out...it took 3.5 hours to move our stuff out, but only 1 hour to move our stuff into our new house.

I suppose you should prioritize a list of characteristics that you require or is high on your wish list. I can't recommend Irvine over Costa Mesa unless I know what you're looking for.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:33 PM

143 posts, read 385,829 times
I'm not sure what's wrong with Irvine Company. I have never lived in their places, but I have several co workers who do or have, and they seem to like it. I don't get the impression that they're worse than any other large property management company (which of course does come with drawbacks). But I can't personally vouch for them.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:44 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,089 times
Katherine. Please remember that our teachers are being laid off left and right. So don't count on a teaching job

Also helps is you are bilingual Spanish

Nanny jobs might easier to find.

Good luck

Old 06-26-2012, 06:22 PM

Kwong, I will look into that area. Thanks!
Nurserosie- I did hear that about teaching, unfortunately. I have a Spanish minor but I am not certified to teach in a bilingual classroom, which is the reason I didn't get hired in Illinois either! I had been looking into getting that certification before I found out we would be moving. Hopefully I will be able to find a nanny job! I have applied for several.

We aren't very picky about apartments...we just want a safe area that isn't ridiculously expensive. My boyfriend wants to be close to Irvine since he's going to be working there. Close proximity to the beach would be a huge plus.
Maybe I misinterpreted some things people have said about the Irvine company. I just wanted opinions from all of you, since you are familiar with the area!

Thank you for the info!

Old 06-29-2012, 02:14 AM

47 posts, read 87,343 times
Nothing wrong with the Irvine Company.

Expensive, but not criminal.

Which complex did you like in Costa Mesa? Most of them look pretty darn good in the pictures, but are hell in person.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:02 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,464,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine5 View Post
My boyfriend and I are moving from the suburbs of Chicago to the Orange County area in the end of July. His job is in Irvine, and I am still looking for a job. I need to transfer my teaching certificate but for now I’m looking for a nannying job. We are trying for a 2-bedroom apartment around $1800/month, since I don't know when I will have a job. We are willing to live in a 1-bedroom if necessary.

We both like the Park West apartments in Irvine, but I kind of wanted to stay away from the Irvine company, based on what I’ve read here ?
I found an apartment in Costa Mesa that I like that seems to be in a good location- within walking distance of Newport Beach restaurants, close to the beach, etc.
I also like that their pet deposit and pet rent is cheaper than in Irvine. I have two small dogs.

If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it!

The Irvine Co. is not bad, they are just corporate. As long as you remember they love your money and not you, and don't let yourself get fooled into thinking otherwise, you'll be fine. That said, I have nit heard alot of good things about Park West over the years and alot of bad about the noise level and some of the other shenanigans there.

That said, one of the reasons people pay more to live in Irvine is because the schools are great. You don't sound like you have kids, so why pay a premium for a service you won't use? Costa Mesa is a good alternate. Huntington beach is another alternative, but may require a longer drive south - 30-45 minutes each way - for your guy. CM and HB are usually the go to recco's for young singles.

Having said all that, be very granular in your research on CM apartments. There are some pretty run down areas in CM with largely poor immigrant populations in the city. Another area you may wish to consider is the area called South Coast Metro right around the south coast plaza shopping center. Its right on the CM/ Santa ana border with complexes with adresses in both cities, but its close to Irvine and some nice amenities. Again, another somewhat economically mixed area, so be granular in your research, but may be worth checking out.

Good Luck!

Old 06-30-2012, 04:02 PM

Thank you for your input, OC Investor 2. That is an excellent point about paying for good schools when I don't even have kids!
There is an OC realtor working with my boyfriend's company and she nixed one of the CM apartments I suggested, but said the other one was good. I liked it mainly because the pet deposit and rent was cheaper, and I have to pay for that by myself.
My boyfriend wants to stick to the Irvine area, so we will see!

Old 07-05-2012, 10:21 PM

601 posts, read 1,451,185 times
+1 getting a Spanish credential. Since Santa Ana is just up the fwy, you will need it. I understand your pain finding work, my wife is a school teacher (20 years tenure) and survived several layoffs. Her friends with 10 years tenure are getting axed. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County