Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,643 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Chicago. My husband's job is transferring him to Long Beach. My main office is in Del Mar, so I am going to be transferring also. We found that Laguna Niguel and Dana Point are about the halfway point and according to the maps we've seen, it will take both of us approximately 50 minutes to get to work each day, but that's not rush hour. My husband is originally from San Diego never really left San Diego County so we have no idea during rush hour what our commutes will be. Can someone give me an idea? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 01:29 PM

394 posts, read 967,129 times
There is really only one option for both of you if you choose to live in DP or LN. That's the 5/405. 5 South to Del Mar or 5 North to the 405 North to Long Beach.

There is normally a backup at the El Toro Y (5/405 split) and the 405 N will also be slow where the 22 meets and again at the 605 junction. I used to drive from Tustin to LB (Airport Area) every day and the time from where the 22 merges with the 405 to Lakewood Blvd was normally 15-20 minutes, but took longer on some days. If he has to go to downtown LB that will be another 20 minutes at least.

I understand that the 5 South gets really jammed up at around the 805 junction so depending on where you have to go, it might not be good.

Have you considered the train? I think there is a station in Del Mar and I think there is a station in Long Beach. It's worth looking in to cause one of you could ride the train while the other made a short automobile commute.

Metrolink :: Welcome

Old 05-23-2011, 01:30 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
The commute to Long BEach will be rough, but doable. 45-50 minutes. The Trip to Del Mar is a crap shoot, and may take up to 1.5 - 2 hours at rush hour

Old 05-23-2011, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,643 times
Wow, I didn't know it would take so long to get to Del Mar. Of course, on paper, its the same distance each way. Thanks I will look into public transportation. In Chicago, we hop the trains and take them into the city with virtually no driving at all, so I'm not sure I really want to drive 3-4 hours a day. I really appreciate the advice.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:33 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,141 times
If your husband lived in San Diego, he can appreciate what the traffic is like in OC and Long Beach. It's the same as going from Carlsbad to San Diego, or vice versa, in rush hour.

When I lived in Newport I commuted to San Diego for work. it took about 1.5 hours and that was to the Mira Mesa area. Coming back, was even longer.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:23 AM

6 posts, read 8,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiangel View Post
Wow, I didn't know it would take so long to get to Del Mar. Of course, on paper, its the same distance each way. Thanks I will look into public transportation. In Chicago, we hop the trains and take them into the city with virtually no driving at all, so I'm not sure I really want to drive 3-4 hours a day. I really appreciate the advice.
I'm originally from Laguna Niguel and my brother currently lives in La Jolla, semi close to Del Mar. The car ride takes a little over an hour without traffic, but traffic can be horrific from LN to Del Mar on Fridays. Good thing you'll be travelling in the opposite direction.

The train is relatively convenient but depending on where you live in LN, can be up to a 10-15 min drive from your home to the station. Also, if your job doesn't subsidize your tickets it can add up quickly.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:41 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiangel View Post
We currently live in Chicago. My husband's job is transferring him to Long Beach. My main office is in Del Mar, so I am going to be transferring also. We found that Laguna Niguel and Dana Point are about the halfway point and according to the maps we've seen, it will take both of us approximately 50 minutes to get to work each day, but that's not rush hour. My husband is originally from San Diego never really left San Diego County so we have no idea during rush hour what our commutes will be. Can someone give me an idea? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Can't one of you make a telecommuting arrangement with your employer so you can live closer to one or the other? I can't imagine driving those distances every day to work. If I were faced with that situation I'd probably be looking around San Clemente or San Juan Cap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County