Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 02:10 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
I just quit working as a special education teacher in an Orange County high school. Take my position. You can have 25 kids on your caseload that have the following disabilities; mental retardation, autistic, emotionally disturbed, auditory processing delay, cognative delay, speech problems and the best one is turets..
I missed where you mention that all lessons must be taught in Spanish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 05:11 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,273 times
Most of the SPED students were minority males and spoke Spanish at home. I got to teach them Romeo and Juliet along with the CA state standards in English. I really liked having an IEP meeting with mom and she tells everybody that her 16 year old boy will go to college. She has lived in the USA for these 16 years and doesn't speak a word of English. If she learned English maybe her boy would not be reading at a tird grade level and have 5/6 special education classes where we hand out dittos.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
I just quit working as a special education teacher in an Orange County high school. Take my position. You can have 25 kids on your caseload that have the following disabilities; mental retardation, autistic, emotionally disturbed, auditory processing delay, cognative delay, speech problems and the best one is turets. By the way all these kids must be taught CA State Standards, and they all are going to go to college. You must have at least one 1-2 hour IEP per kid per year with an administrator, a regular ed teacher, sometimes a school psychologist, the student and the parent . You will need an interpretor for 20 of the 25 IEPS. You must have the CLAD Certificate and the new Autism Credential. You must be highly qulified to teach English or math. Westminster High School is a non-performing school; a "failing school" because it tests poorly. Remember all those kids are going to college; do not mention vocational training. I really will miss teaching a class for the CAHSEExam to these kids, who by the way have this test waived because they are in SPED; they still get a diploma while those regular ed students who fail the CAHSEE will not get a diploma. It was a pleasure teaching when the turets kid kept making noises. Good luck. If you want to teach regular education , you will have these students put in your class of 35. Good luck.
Bill, I know where you are coming from. Take your caseload number and triple it. Take your IEPs and quadruple it. Then subtract prep periods and a lunch. Then have all staff on campus and administrators at the district refer to you as "speech teacher." Then have a principle try to tell you how to do your job when they have neither a)a degree in your field b) experience in your field c) any clue as to what exactly a speech-language pathologist does. Then be prepared to have every single clinical decision criticized by not only the parent/advocate/attorney, but also by the teacher and administrator. It's quite lovely.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 580 times
You will probably have more luck applying to Charter Schools or private schools.
Actually our company Bixby Education Events, Inc. is looking for a few new teachers to help us with our arts integration program with home school and charter school community for orange county.
If you or anyone you know has experience in teaching academics through the arts, we would love to speak to you. Please contact me at [email]mblouin6354@gmail.com[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County