Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 15,062 times

Advertisements

i'm 16 and my parents are planning on moving to san clemente (talega area)
since i've never been there until now i don't know much about that place so i hope you guys answer some questions i have.

how's talega and san clemente in general? (on the internet it looks cool )
how far is talega from the beaches?
what's there to do for fun?

also, i've been told that people in orange county can be stuck up and racist (i'm not saying anything, that's what a couple of friends told me). is this true?
tbh i don't have a problem with stuck up people 'cause pretty much everyone is like that where i live now but i'm really concerned about racism since i have mixed race with slightly dark skin, so please be honest to me!

anyone live around there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 05:52 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,205,374 times
i know some mixed race people from san clemente, they love it there. they actually live up in talega. i would say their house is definitely less than 5 miles from the beach.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i know some mixed race people from san clemente, they love it there. they actually live up in talega. i would say their house is definitely less than 5 miles from the beach.
that's exactly what i wanted to hear. thanks man!

Old 09-10-2011, 07:17 PM

139 posts, read 648,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrlucs View Post
i'm 16 and my parents are planning on moving to san clemente (talega area)
since i've never been there until now i don't know much about that place so i hope you guys answer some questions i have.

how's talega and san clemente in general? (on the internet it looks cool )
how far is talega from the beaches?
what's there to do for fun?

also, i've been told that people in orange county can be stuck up and racist (i'm not saying anything, that's what a couple of friends told me). is this true?
tbh i don't have a problem with stuck up people 'cause pretty much everyone is like that where i live now but i'm really concerned about racism since i have mixed race with slightly dark skin, so please be honest to me!

anyone live around there?
I've lived in both OC and LA. LA is more racist then OC. If you have slightly dark skin people will assume you are Mexican. You will blend right in! I don't know if you watch the show Burn Notice or not, but the light skinned African-American guy on there is from South OC. I think he is Aliso Valejo, but I could be wrong about the city. I know for sure he is from South County which is where you will be living.

I would not say people in OC are stuck up. I would say people are very concerned about money and materialistic. The first thing people will ask an adult is, "Where are you from." in order to determine you socioeconomic status and if you are worth knowing or not. (can you advance their career? do you have any people you know who can help them in some way? can they network through you to meet other people who will advance their career, help them expand their business, etc. they are calculating your value to them.) They will ask, "What do you do?" This is in order to find out how much money you make and to calculate your net worth. People do not ask, how are you? What are your hobbies? Are you married? Do you have kids? They want to know about money right off the bat which is rather rude and shallow.

LA and OC is all about appearances. How you appear is how people perceive you. How people perceive you is how they treat you. If you go to the gym, are ripped, dress in a casual, but trendy manner, drive a nice car, have a nice haircut you will be OK. If you let you hair get scraggly the girls will notice and not like you. If you dress like a slob and pay not attention to colors, patterns and styles of clothing women will judge you harshly. A man has to dress stylishly to be considered desirable. Some women will not date a man who has a crap car, especially Newport girls. Newport Beach is the OC Beverly Hills and those residents are quite snobby.

All of San Clemente is beautiful. It is a wonderful city.

If you want to live in OC or LA you have to develop a thick skin and brush off all the crap people say about you. You can not be sensitive. It helps to be witty so you can say things back. If you are quick on your feet you can shut down the other person. Everyone has someone gossiping about them, spreading rumors about them. No one is immune. You have to just say, well, they have no life and are pathetic. If their life was more interesting they would not talk about me. You can't get hurt by what people say.

Things to do? THE BEACH!!!!!! Skim boarding, boogie boarding, surfing, swimming, body surfing, bonfires, wennie roasts, rock climbing, biking, roller blading, hiking, movies at the beach are just a couple of things to do in the summer time.

Theme Parks: Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Raging Waters, Universal Studios, Wild Rivers, San Diego Zoo, Los Angeles Zoo, Aquarium of the Pacific

Sports: LA Lakers, LA Clippers, LA Dodgers, LA Kings, Mighty Ducks, Anaheim Angels, the soccer team Beckam plays for...The Galaxies? I don't know. I am not a soccer fan. You'll have to look it up. The Staples stadium is AMAZING!!!!! I love that place. The Pond where the Mighty Ducks play is a great place to see a concert. it is a really nice stadium. The view of the hockey game inside The Pond is AMAZING!!!!!

Museums:
LACMA, LACMCA, New Getty, Old Getty, Norton Simon, Huntington Library and Gardens, Bowers, etc. (I like art! I have taken my 15 year old niece to museums and she enjoys it.)

If you Google "Alfredros Beach Shack Movies on the Beach" you will read about movies on the beach in Long Beach. The hotel in Newport Beach also hosts movies on the beach. Google "movies on the beach Newport Beach CA" and they should come up. It is a lot of fun. You bring a beach chair, jacket, pack a lunch and snacks, bring drinks and you watch a movie on the sand on a big screen and it is a LOT of fun. You can go with a group of friends or meet them there. You can do it next summer.

"Shakespeare by the Sea" tours in the summer time. It is similar to the movies by the beach only you watch a live Shakespeare play in a park. You bring a beach chair, a jacket, drinks, dinner, snacks and watch the show. This is fun to do with a big group of people. It is much more fun than it sounds. You can Google the acting troupe "Shakespeare by the Seas" to find out more details. Each summer they do different plays and the locations can change. You can get on their email mailing list if the interests you.

The Saw Dust Festival is every summer in Laguna Beach. Along with that is the Pageant of the Masters. I have been on flights home from Europe and my seatmate told me they were going to go to Laguna for the Saw Dust Festival and Pageant of the Masters. This has happened year after year. It is a big deal to tourists and locals alike. Tickets go on sale Dec 1 for the following years summer time Pageant of the Masters. You must buy ahead of time to get weekend tickets and good seats. You can Google "Sawdust Festival" and "Pageant of the Masters" for more info.

The First Thu Art Walk in Laguna Beach is fun. The art galleries stay open late for people walking to walk from gallery to gallery to view the art. Galleries put out wine, champagne, cheese, crackers, strawberries and snacks. I eat my way from gallery to gallery. I do it with friends and we have a great time, but we all studied art so it is fun to us. I don't know if you can appreciate art at your age.

Nature
Newport Bay Conservancy
Explore | Bolsa Chica Conservancy
www.amigosdebolsachica.org/tours.htm
www.localhikes.com/MSA/MSA_4472.asp
www.hike-oc.com/

btw - we have coyotes in OC. Depending on where you live you can not leave you cat or dog out overnight or it will be eaten. You do not need to be located near wilderness. The coyotes are well adapted to the city. There are coyotes living in Mile Square Park where my parents live. They ate all the rabbits so they went into the neighborhoods to eat dogs and cats. My dad saw one run across the street and clear the fence in one leap into a back yard. I've had friends whose dogs and cats were eaten in various cities. Coyotes tried to take my dog when my mom was walking it in the Santa Ana River. Two coyotes followed her so she left, but as she was exiting the riverbed into the neighborhood the coyotes attacked. My old neighbors tell me the coyotes walk the streets now and they must keep their dogs and cats indoors 24/7. My dad used to work at Long Beach Airport and he told me there was a coyote there running around the runways hunting rabbits. I ate all the rabbits and then it left. It was a problem because the coyote ran out onto the runways a couple of times. They almost had to call animal control to come kill it because it could have caused a plane crash. You can find coyotes in the oddest of place because they can survive in the city. Do not leave your pets out overnight in the back yard or you may not find them in the morning. You probably didn't know this, so I wanted to warn you. I doubt you want to lose your pet.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:40 PM

139 posts, read 648,940 times
We have snow skiing in the winter time. You can go up to Snow Valley to ski. You can visit Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead for skiing, cabin rentals or a day in the mountains.

You can go to the beach in morning to surf and go to the mountains in the afternoon to mountain bike.

Something you should be aware of since you are a male and not 100% white is...we have police brutality here. Watch out for: Huntington Beach, Fullerton, Long Beach, Signal Hill, LAPD, OC Sheriff and LA County Sheriff as they are the worst. We have two legal case pending right now due to police brutality and murder. One case is in Fullerton where the cops killed a mentally ill man. OC Sheriff where they told the inmates a certain inmate was a child molester knowing full well the other inmates would kill him. The inmates killed him and he was not a child molester. The deputies didn't like him, so they set him up to be killed.

My brothers were punk rockers when they were younger and both got picked up on a bogus charge by Fullerton cops. My dad had threaten to sue to get them released into his custody. If you are a punk rocker or appear different in some way the cops will pull you over, threaten you, give you a hard time and maybe even take you to the station on a trumped up bogus charge. That happened to my brother multiples times for each one. Our family was well known in the community and highly regarded, but still they harassed my brothers. The cops knew our name when they heard it as we were in the newspapers and on TV. The cops knew my dad had juice and could bring the Whitehouse down on them, but they did not care. They messed with my brother because they were different. If a family that is well known, all the cops know who you are, they have seen your photo in the newspaper, they know your family is well connected and they still screw with you??? There is a problem there. I got harassed by a cop in Anaheim a couple of times. I told him to leave me alone, but he would not. One cop I told him, "Do you know how I am? Do you know who my dad is? Let me tell you name. You must not recognize me." When I told him he turned purple. Then he walked away without saying a word. He wanted to search my car without a warrant or probable cause and I told him, no. You have no probable cause. You have no warrant. You can not search my car. Go away. He was persistent and harassed me so I pull the daddy card. I'm a white female with blond hair so it was not racial. It was @ssholeness. He was just a jack@ss. That happened in Fullerton. My brothers and I had the most problems in Fullerton.

Consider yourself warned. Do not talk back. Say, "Yes sir. No sir. Thank you sir." in order to make things better with the cop. I have an ex-boyfriend who is a cop with LA Sheriff and the stories I could tell that he told me....oh my. LA County Sheriff and OC Sheriff are dirty, dirty, dirty. Talk about corrupt. It is like a B movie it is so unbelievable. So, watch yourself.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:51 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,700,604 times
Wow, that sure doesn't encourage me to move to OC. I have heard this about LA cops as well as.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:31 PM

3,890 posts, read 4,546,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Wow, that sure doesn't encourage me to move to OC. I have heard this about LA cops as well as.
Well, unfortunately there's a percentage of police that have a certain type of personality... control freaks.
But Anja's correct.
No matter who you are or what you look like, do not argue, be polite and put both hands on the wheel where the cop can see them. Make sure you have your car registration and insurance with you.
I'm a middle aged white blonde haired blue eyed female and I'm not about to stir the pot. I got my second moving violation a few years ago in about 30 years of driving. It was a radar police and believe me I had to bite my tounge! (I can get scarcastic! ) It was all business.
(Oh and traffic school is a drag, so don't speed!!)

BTW, we have a black friend who got pulled over a lot when he was working in Irvine about 20 years ago, and he was always polite even though he said it was annoying as heck. He said eventually the police there just waved at him.

Anyway, OP, you sound like a nice kid... don't get too paranoid, but don't wear your pants down below your buttcheeks please!
I'll never understand that one!

Old 09-11-2011, 05:29 PM

thank you soo much Anja for your response, it was very detailed and informative!
i was not impressed when you talked about the materialism and shallowness or even the significance that people give to appearances in OC and LA cause as i've stated i'm sorrounded by people who think exactly this same way and i was kind of expecting it would be this way in socal.
however i definitely got shocked when you started talking about the police. OMG, that's scary as hell !
i've never been in trouble with the police, even though people always say the cops have somehting against teen drivers...

on the other hand i liked a lot when you talked about all the fun stuff there is to do there. sounds really cool for sure!!

regarding the coyotes: i definitely want to keep my cat safe and i'll try and make sure she'll always stay at home but (i don't know if i'm gonna sound a little dumb)
could these coyotes represent a threat to humans??
they're not my main concern but i don't know..

Old 09-11-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Well, unfortunately there's a percentage of police that have a certain type of personality... control freaks.
But Anja's correct.
No matter who you are or what you look like, do not argue, be polite and put both hands on the wheel where the cop can see them. Make sure you have your car registration and insurance with you.
I'm a middle aged white blonde haired blue eyed female and I'm not about to stir the pot. I got my second moving violation a few years ago in about 30 years of driving. It was a radar police and believe me I had to bite my tounge! (I can get scarcastic! ) It was all business.
(Oh and traffic school is a drag, so don't speed!!)

BTW, we have a black friend who got pulled over a lot when he was working in Irvine about 20 years ago, and he was always polite even though he said it was annoying as heck. He said eventually the police there just waved at him.
thanks a lot for the advice. seriously!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Anyway, OP, you sound like a nice kid... don't get too paranoid, but don't wear your pants down below your buttcheeks please!
I'll never understand that one!
thanks! btw i never do that. i actually think it's ridiculous

Old 09-11-2011, 07:18 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,700,604 times
RE: coyotes and humans. We had them aplenty in Connecticut, and they are also in the Philadelphia area. One even entered a store! I have heard of them attacking small children, but can't remember seeing this in the newspaper, or in a source other than hearsay. You may wish to do a search on this to be sure. Usually when I see coyotes they are dashing madly to avoid contact with humans. They got my cat, before I understood the dangers. Yes, you MUST keep your pets indoors 24/7, or it's over for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County