Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 02:58 PM

8 posts, read 14,945 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm moving from Chicago to the Long Beach area in a month and after searching what I think to be the ENTIRE internet (ha!) - I still can't figure out where to live! I don't want to live in Long Beach bc we unfortunately are going to have to rent sight-unseen and I've heard a lot of back and forth like, you can rent near this street, but not that one, etc., safety issues...We're trying to narrow it down so my husband doesn't have a terrible commute to Long Beach for work. Garden Grove, Huntington Beach & Newport Beach seem decent? Trying to find a safe place to live w/ decent schools on our limited budget. Looking for a 2 bed for around $1500/mo. (Don't want to stretch the budget too thin as I assume it may take a while to find employment for myself) Any suggestions?

I did see the Montejo Apts in Garden Grove but I can't find any reveiws. Anyone familiar?

Thanks in advance guys! My head is spinning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 03:50 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,012,512 times
Garden Grove is generally pretty crappy (unless you are on the West Side) Same with Westminster. Stay away from Stanton, Santa Ana, Midway City.

Huntington Beach is pretty nice with good Schools (especially if you are near Edison, Huntington Beach HS or Marina HS) (but do not look at anything between Slater, Edinger, Beach and Gothard).

Downtown can get a bit crazy. But get better the further you get away from Main Street.

There are very few inexpensive rentals in Newport Beach, but parts of Costa Mesa will get you in Newport Harbor HS. (stay to the east side and extreme west side)

Old 10-23-2011, 04:15 PM

Thanks! It's tough to figure out exactly where they are. Should I just post the names of the apt buildings? I appreciate your help! I've been looking for weeks and I feel like I'm just going in circles. We have a 6 year old & a dog so it's been tough to figure out. We also have had to rent in over 10 years so please excuse my renters-ignorance.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:11 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whollycali View Post
Hello! I'm moving from Chicago to the Long Beach area in a month and after searching what I think to be the ENTIRE internet (ha!) - I still can't figure out where to live! I don't want to live in Long Beach bc we unfortunately are going to have to rent sight-unseen and I've heard a lot of back and forth like, you can rent near this street, but not that one, etc., safety issues...We're trying to narrow it down so my husband doesn't have a terrible commute to Long Beach for work. Garden Grove, Huntington Beach & Newport Beach seem decent? Trying to find a safe place to live w/ decent schools on our limited budget. Looking for a 2 bed for around $1500/mo. (Don't want to stretch the budget too thin as I assume it may take a while to find employment for myself) Any suggestions?

I did see the Montejo Apts in Garden Grove but I can't find any reveiws. Anyone familiar?

Thanks in advance guys! My head is spinning!
Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

Old 10-23-2011, 06:03 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,768,787 times
Anywhere in Los Alamitos will be safe and close to Long Beach with good schools. That rent is about the average for a 2bd in Los Alamitos.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:24 PM

Awesome- thank you!! It's nice to know there are helpful people in the area!

Old 10-23-2011, 08:25 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whollycali View Post
Should I just post the names of the apt buildings?
Naw... people here at C-D go by nearest intersections, not apt building names when they rate an area you're interested in. Few people pay attention to the usually corny names they give those places.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:09 PM

Ha! I'll keep that in mind. Will definitely be bothering you guys/girls again.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:50 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,974,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Garden Grove is generally pretty crappy (unless you are on the West Side) Same with Westminster. Stay away from Stanton, Santa Ana, Midway City.

Huntington Beach is pretty nice with good Schools (especially if you are near Edison, Huntington Beach HS or Marina HS) (but do not look at anything between Slater, Edinger, Beach and Gothard).

Downtown can get a bit crazy. But get better the further you get away from Main Street.

There are very few inexpensive rentals in Newport Beach, but parts of Costa Mesa will get you in Newport Harbor HS. (stay to the east side and extreme west side)
The neighborhood west of beach, south of hiel, east of gothard and north of warner is good and very affordable.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:04 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times
If anything, absolutely avoid any commute that takes you along 405 between Valley View and 605!!!!! This section will be very congested until mid 2012 due to the construction. If you must go through here, minimize the distance of your commute.

That apartment is smack in the middle of Koreatown in Garden Grove, one of the better ethnic neighborhoods (as opposed to the Vietnamese or Mexican areas.) But still, your commute will take you through the most congested areas of 405.

Generally speaking, all of the areas along 605 south of 91 are fine, except Hawaiian Gardens. The areas of Long Beach along 605 are the best areas in the city. You shouldn't have much trouble in Lakewood, Cypress, Los Alamitos, Cerritos, and La Palma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County