Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2011, 06:37 AM

10,030 posts, read 9,505,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
Where I live in Orange County, we whites are not fleeing, but our percentage merely went down a bit due to all the Asians moving to our area and also due to the whites who've died since 2000. There are probably just as many whites as before here, just that there are also Asians here now too to add to that population.
Bingo.. The percentage mean little without a total number. If you have a town with a population of three that happen to be all white, that works out to a 100% white population. Now if the town population grows to four when an asian moves in that skews the percentage quite a bit. You now have a big drop with a white population of 75% and an Asian population of 25%. The percentage may lead one to believe there was a huge drop in white population.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:00 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal794 View Post
Why does an increasing Hispanic population bother people so much? The vast majority of us Hispanics are just trying to make money and raise a family, like anyone else. Of course there are exceptions to this (there are in every race) but the vast majority do not want to cause problems.
Perhaps they enjoy being around people who speak the predominant language of the country, English, at least for now.

Perhaps they don't wish to be inundated with another country's culture and like American culture, what's left of it, as it is.

Perhaps they don't want their children to go to schools dumbed-down to accomodate and over-burdened with non-English speaking students.

Perhaps they don't care for people who break the country's laws to get here and have no regard for the rule of law - not all of them by any means but far too many.

Perhaps they don't like the idea of having become minorities in their own country.

And maybe, just maybe, if they wished to spend their time around Mexicans and their way of life they'd move to....well....Mexico. The same applies to immigrants from other countries as well.

Just a few possibilities.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:43 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Perhaps they enjoy being around people who speak the predominant language of the country, English, at least for now.

Perhaps they don't wish to be inundated with another country's culture and like American culture, what's left of it, as it is.

Perhaps they don't want their children to go to schools dumbed-down to accomodate and over-burdened with non-English speaking students.

Perhaps they don't care for people who break the country's laws to get here and have no regard for the rule of law - not all of them by any means but far too many.

Perhaps they don't like the idea of having become minorities in their own country.

And maybe, just maybe, if they wished to spend their time around Mexicans and their way of life they'd move to....well....Mexico. The same applies to immigrants from other countries as well.

Just a few possibilities.
Ummmm, what about the millions of Hispanics that were born here, raised here, only speak English, and only know the American way of culture?

It could be easily said that a lot of the growth of Hispanics in OC (in numbers, percentage, etc) could be attributed to the type I described above (well, that accurately describes my OC family at least).

Old 10-30-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Ummmm, what about the millions of Hispanics that were born here, raised here, only speak English, and only know the American way of culture?

It could be easily said that a lot of the growth of Hispanics in OC (in numbers, percentage, etc) could be attributed to the type I described above (well, that accurately describes my OC family at least).
My mistake. Guess I shoulda specified non-natives as that was what I was addressing. I didn't think to define "Americans" because I didn't think it necessary as I consider them homogeneous.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:09 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,259 times
Quote:
Aliso Viejo +3.3%
Coto de Caza +10.1%
Newport Beach +12.5%
Lake forest +12.8%
Irvine +17.4%
San Clemente +23.2%
Very interesting that it correlates almost exactly with the responses in the 'whats your favorite OC city' thread.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:20 AM

74 posts, read 243,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I love how it is just assumed that Hispanic people are not part of American culture. Newsflash: America has been a conglomeration of ethnicity since the beginning. White culture is not the only acceptable American culture.
Just because Hispanics look different, eat different food, may speak differently, etc. does not make us any less American.
Being American is about what's inside (hard work ethic, love for the country, determination, doing what's right) rather than the type of music one listens to or the food that is eaten.
Hispanics who speak Spanish are also often struggling to learn English. Our people came here for the exact same reasons that any other group came here: to take part in the American dream and seek a better life.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:22 AM

298 posts, read 389,783 times
What did you expect when the government rolls out the red carpet for poor people from Mexico?

Old 10-30-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal794 View Post
I love how it is just assumed that Hispanic people are not part of American culture. Newsflash: America has been a conglomeration of ethnicity since the beginning. White culture is not the only acceptable American culture.
Just because Hispanics look different, eat different food, may speak differently, etc. does not make us any less American.
Being American is about what's inside (hard work ethic, love for the country, determination, doing what's right) rather than the type of music one listens to or the food that is eaten.
Hispanics who speak Spanish are also often struggling to learn English. Our people came here for the exact same reasons that any other group came here: to take part in the American dream and seek a better life.
Newsflash: Read what I wrote two posts above. We all bring parts of our family cultures with us. Since such as you want to pick points of your own making, guess I should have included "assimilation somewhere" in there. But silly me, I thought "American" was explicit enough.

Memo to Self: Next time take a full, two-handed grip on my crayola and draw a picture for the overly sentitive and defensive!

Old 10-30-2011, 12:26 PM

298 posts, read 389,783 times
Does American culture include cars blasting Mexican music and stealing grocery carts?

Old 10-30-2011, 02:03 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
Does American culture include cars blasting Mexican music and stealing grocery carts?
It seemed normal to me where I grew up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County