Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 10:13 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
Ok, so a lot of them are in poverty and lack education. What are we gonna do about that?

We are going to require that our schools hire only bi-lingual teachers and teach and test them in Spanish so that we can assure that they are not forced to learn English and will never have a chance in the United States to rise above car wash attendant, lawn maintenance, or maid. However we will say that we are doing it to be fair and make them feel welcome and comfortable in our country. That way we can all fell good about ourselves.

We will also require signs, voting booklets and other documents to be printed in Spanish so that they will not feel like they need to learn English. We will encourage them to hang on to their culture and not assimilate. We will even mandate adoption of their national Hollidays so that they can avoid becoming part of our country and instead bring the wonders of their government system here. We will do everything possible to keep them clustered together in specific areas that we can then point to and say "Bad area" and keep them from mixing in and assimilating into our culture. We will not require them to become citizens to receive the benefits of citizenship and we will reward them with special rights and privileges for coming here illegally and refraining from assimilating. Of course all of this will be done in the name of making them feel comfortable and welcome and not forcing them to adapt to our culture - so we can all feel good about ourselves.

That is what we apparently are going to do about it - make certain that they stay there. If they do not, we, or our children might have to do some of the dirty work. We certainly do not want them to do what our ancestors did. We might end up working for them someday if we did that.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:05 AM

1,742 posts, read 959,071 times
Some of you have mentioned something that often gets overlooked in discussions about ethnicities and demographics: economic and social class.

Unfortunately in this country, in many cases, race/ethnicity and economic/social class go hand in hand. This is especially true with the African-American and Latino communities. Of course not all African-Americans or Latinos are poor, but the truth is the poverty rate for these communities is much higher than that of whites or Asians. So when people complain about "the Mexicans" bringing down the neighborhood with trash, cars, loud parties/music, stray animals, grafitti, etc. it's really a question of class and not of race/ethnicity. My next door neighbors on both sides are Mexican-American and are fine, quiet neighbors who keep their yards up (they have Latino gardeners!) and are typically middle class. The long time Mexican-American community in southern California has been swamped by the large numbers of illegal immigrants who are mostly poor, low skilled, and uneducated. Then people go around and lump them all together as "Latinos" or "Mexicans" when in fact they often have little in common. If you took a large number of dirt poor whites from Appalachia and dumped them in southern California, you would have the same problems with trash, noise, crime, etc. It's an issue of class, not ethnicity.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:59 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,088 times
Whites aren't necessarily fleeing to get away from non-whites. What I think is happening is more non-whites are moving into OC therefore causing the percentage of non-whites to increase and so the percentage of whites has dropped.

Overall, the US population is becoming more Hispanic. And in certain parts of OC the Asian population is also rapidly increasing- take for instance Irvine. From what I hear, many wealthy Asian immigrants are moving there. There are tour groups from China which bring Chinese millionaires here, and they buy up property there all cash.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:20 PM

74 posts, read 243,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
I've lived in areas that had ever-increasing Hispanic populations and it really brought the neighborhoods down.
So I guess I automatically bring my neighborhood down? Even though I have lived here all of my life and take great care of my home? Should my neighbors move away, since I will probably bring problems into my area soon?

People don't realize that the problems they are attributing to Hispanics are actually symptoms of classless, uneducated people regardless of race/ethnicity.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:28 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal794 View Post
So I guess I automatically bring my neighborhood down? Even though I have lived here all of my life and take great care of my home? Should my neighbors move away, since I will probably bring problems into my area soon?

People don't realize that the problems they are attributing to Hispanics are actually symptoms of classless, uneducated people regardless of race/ethnicity.
Amen!

Old 11-02-2011, 02:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
But when all the classless, uneducated people moving into your neighborhood look a certain way, people tend to generalize.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:

Just as it's not "whites" per se leaving, it's not "hispanics" per se, it's illegals, uneducated, non-English speaking types moving in and American middle class types leaving. Americans don't really enjoy feeling like they're living in gang infested third world type neighborhoods.

It's no different than when the "whites" fled Detroit, none would ever say it had to do with blacks, and likely it really didn't, it had to do with a type of people that was taking over.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
We need to teach the people who give birth to them some responsibility. For lack of a better word the "parents" of these hispanics should be taught that it's not ok to turn the neighborhood they live in into a 3rd world cesspool, they also need to be taught respect, respect not only for themselves but also for other people, property and the environment. The "parents" would then pass on this enlightenment to their offspring.
If they could have learned responsibility, they would have learned it back in their own country where the middle class is actually growing in numbers.

What they learned instead of responsibility in reproductivity, was that giving birth brings in big government handouts. It costs them nothing at all to come here to give birth, they aren't expected to even make a co-pay, they are rewarded with Medicaid, a completely free health care system that beats their own nationalized health plan that includes a small co-pay. They learn that more babies means more food stamps, more WIC and the government gives them a bigger apartment or Section 8 house.

They aren't going to do any thing more for our country than they did for their own -- except leave it. Leaving their country was the best thing they could do for it -- Mexico's economy is improving while ours is crashing.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:11 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Just as it's not "whites" per se leaving, it's not "hispanics" per se, it's illegals, uneducated, non-English speaking types moving in and American middle class types leaving. Americans don't really enjoy feeling like they're living in gang infested third world type neighborhoods.

It's no different than when the "whites" fled Detroit, none would ever say it had to do with blacks, and likely it really didn't, it had to do with a type of people that was taking over.
Basically, what you're saying is that people leave when a different economic class and/or completely different culture starts to settle in. This isn't just a "problem" of whites. Going off memory here, in the span of 60 years the neighborhood around Jordan High School in Long Beach has gone from majority white to majority black to majority hispanic. One moved in, another moved out. This has been replicated in many areas south and southeast of LA, and is part of what fuels the gang war between black gangs and Mexican gangs in the same areas.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:36 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Basically, what you're saying is that people leave when a different economic class and/or completely different culture starts to settle in. This isn't just a "problem" of whites. Going off memory here, in the span of 60 years the neighborhood around Jordan High School in Long Beach has gone from majority white to majority black to majority hispanic. One moved in, another moved out. This has been replicated in many areas south and southeast of LA, and is part of what fuels the gang war between black gangs and Mexican gangs in the same areas.
The problem is we have such stark class differences. In many places in CA, (and in other parts of the US), it's becoming a society of the rich elite minority and the poor/working-poor majority. Not a whole lot in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County