Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 02:03 AM

27 posts, read 90,103 times

Advertisements

What do you think Costa Mesa will be like in five years?

Worse: More Drugs, Violence, gangs, and graffiti.

Better: 1.3 million homes, 2.5 children ( two kids and a dog) Beautiful community?

Lets look at Newport a neighboring city... I just read in the daily pilot that HEROIN ARRESTS IN NEWPORT BEACH ARE RISING AMONGST YOUTH... interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 05:43 AM

50 posts, read 97,579 times
My boss lives in fountain valley and I said besides Irvine I was considering Costa Mesa or South OC.. he was like, "choose South OC over Costa Mesa". For what it's worth.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:12 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovemonkey View Post
My boss lives in fountain valley and I said besides Irvine I was considering Costa Mesa or South OC.. he was like, "choose South OC over Costa Mesa". For what it's worth.
I'm from FV and I'd agree with this, provided the commute isn't to terrible. CM just has a different vibe than FV. Its more crowded, dirtier, has no effective zoning laws, and the schools are much worse. Something like 70% of the residents are renters so no one really has a stake in the place. Its the kind of place you live for a while, then move on.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:18 AM

371 posts, read 816,279 times
I think the neighborhoods that consist mainly of single family homes will slowly get better and better (as they have been for the last 10-15 years), and I think the neighborhoods of mainly rental units will pretty much stay the same.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
I think the neighborhoods that consist mainly of single family homes will slowly get better and better (as they have been for the last 10-15 years), and I think the neighborhoods of mainly rental units will pretty much stay the same.
I agree.

For the other poster, CM is a fun place for young, single or highly socially active types who want to live near the beach but cannot afford to live in a beahc community. South OC is nice and sterile. You will die of boredom if young and/or a get out and go type. You may love South OC if you are a family type and wnat to live like everyone around you. (or want everyone around you to live like you do). It is clean, safe, consistent and dull. CM is a bit more edgy. Fine for younger people who will overlook some grunge in ordr to hav emore fun and less regulation.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:42 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I'm from FV and I'd agree with this, provided the commute isn't to terrible. CM just has a different vibe than FV. Its more crowded, dirtier, has no effective zoning laws, and the schools are much worse. Something like 70% of the residents are renters so no one really has a stake in the place. Its the kind of place you live for a while, then move on.
When we were looking for a condo back in 1999, I wanted to live in Costa Mesa, but we ended up in Orange for price reasons. Orange was boooooring! Lot's of old people, not much going on. The reason I've always preferred CM is because it actually has an urban vibe and it's not cookie cutter, like so much of OC. Plus it's close to so everything you need.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:56 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I agree.

For the other poster, CM is a fun place for young, single or highly socially active types who want to live near the beach but cannot afford to live in a beahc community. South OC is nice and sterile. You will die of boredom if young and/or a get out and go type. You may love South OC if you are a family type and wnat to live like everyone around you. (or want everyone around you to live like you do). It is clean, safe, consistent and dull. CM is a bit more edgy. Fine for younger people who will overlook some grunge in ordr to hav emore fun and less regulation.
The problem with those edgy young people is they're self-centered pr**ks who think its just fine to practice their drumming at 2am in their apartment. And who says anyone has to stay stuck in their city? I have a car and can drive to whatever interests me.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:46 AM

50 posts, read 97,579 times
I'm late 30's with 2 kids and a nice wife.. I want nothing more than quiet, peaceful existence (kids are exciting enough for me). Plus, I've been living in Tokyo for the last 12 years and that is enough wildness to have me begging for boredom. Bring on the boredom!

If I was younger and no kids, sounds like a great place to be on a moderate budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County