Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 07:13 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara1 View Post
Remember! Don't ever do with Bank of America!

I agree!!! I've been with Wells Fargo for years. Anyone remember First Interstate? I was with them for several years (even transferred my accounts when I moved to Washington State for a short time). Then Wells Fargo took over First Interstate.

I've heard great feedback about Washington Mutual also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 01:29 PM

198 posts, read 931,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
Bank of America FTW.
I worked for BofA for a short bit--they have fees for EVERYTHING. And calling customer service is a pain in the butt! Even the people who work there have to take 30 minutes to get help from their own internal call center! >_<

For regular banks, I think WaMu has the best service--my mom has banked with most of the major banks out here--WaMu, BofA, Downey Savings (ew), Wells Fargo... plus Orange County's Credit Union (not the Teacher's one), and Western Federal Credit Union.

Honestly, though--credit unions are the way to go. Better rates and MUCH better service. I bank with Orange County Teacher's Federal Credit Union (OCTFCU) and I have never been disappointed by the service or rates. I never have to fill out deposit slips, they always have enough tellers working, and I'm never pressured to open any unnecessary accounts--they're much more member oriented. Only catch: I think you can only join if you work in education (administratively or academically) or have a family member/spouse who does. ^_^

Old 09-28-2007, 05:53 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Does your Credit Union in North Carolina allow you to use the Shared Branching services of the CU Service Centers? Go to CUSwirl and click on Contact your CU. Look for your credit union under the alphabetical list to see if they allow you to use this service. Click on locations to find the nearest branches in Orange County. Enter the zip code or your city and there should be a list of branches that offer Shared Branching.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:31 PM

38,893 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara1 View Post
Remember! Don't ever do with Bank of America!
I've heard countless horror stories regarding B of A. My mom banks with them but doesn't want to switch to another bank because she's been with B of A for so long. Besides, all she ever does as far as banking goes is use the ATM to make deposits and withdrawals, never setting foot inside the bank itself.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:36 PM

Default First Interstate / U.S. Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
I agree!!! I've been with Wells Fargo for years. Anyone remember First Interstate? I was with them for several years (even transferred my accounts when I moved to Washington State for a short time). Then Wells Fargo took over First Interstate.

I've heard great feedback about Washington Mutual also.
Hi Paula,

Yes, I remember the days when First Interstate Bank was around these parts. In fact, the tallest skyscraper in downtown L.A. used to the First Interstate Tower; now it's the U.S. Bank Tower. Speaking of U.S. Bank, one of my sisters and her husband bank there, and they're happy with them, too.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:42 PM

Exclamation Credit Union Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by YLresident View Post
<snipped>

Honestly, though--credit unions are the way to go. Better rates and MUCH better service. I bank with Orange County Teacher's Federal Credit Union (OCTFCU) and I have never been disappointed by the service or rates. I never have to fill out deposit slips, they always have enough tellers working, and I'm never pressured to open any unnecessary accounts--they're much more member oriented. Only catch: I think you can only join if you work in education (administratively or academically) or have a family member/spouse who does. ^_^
I've heard all these great things about how much better credit unions are over banks, but it seems that this is the one big catch, which is you need to either work in the particular industry the credit union is affiliated with (like education) or you need to know an existing member so that you can join it. If I were to purchase a new car, I would much rather take out a loan with a credit union because of the more favorable rates, no doubt about it!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:45 AM

198 posts, read 931,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I've heard all these great things about how much better credit unions are over banks, but it seems that this is the one big catch, which is you need to either work in the particular industry the credit union is affiliated with (like education) or you need to know an existing member so that you can join it. If I were to purchase a new car, I would much rather take out a loan with a credit union because of the more favorable rates, no doubt about it!

That's for OC Teachers... I believe there are a number of credit unions you can join that only require you to live, work, or go to school/church in the area the credit union serves:

American First Credit Union
Membership is open to anyone who lives, works or worships in Orange County, Corona or Chino Hills. We also serve the grocery and drug industry and many other companies across the nation. Your family members, related by blood or marriage, are eligible for membership, too. Check out this list of the companies we serve to see if you work for one of the eligible companies.

Orange County's Credit Union (broken link)
Membership is available to all residents of Orange County (California), as well as individuals who live or work in the County and the communities of Long Beach, Signal Hill, Lakewood, and Cerritos. You may also be eligible if you have a relative who is currently a member of Orange County's Credit Union, you are an employee of the County of Orange, or you work for one of our Select Employer Groups.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:23 AM

Thumbs up Thanks, YLResident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YLresident View Post
That's for OC Teachers... I believe there are a number of credit unions you can join that only require you to live, work, or go to school/church in the area the credit union serves:

American First Credit Union
Membership is open to anyone who lives, works or worships in Orange County, Corona or Chino Hills. We also serve the grocery and drug industry and many other companies across the nation. Your family members, related by blood or marriage, are eligible for membership, too. Check out this list of the companies we serve to see if you work for one of the eligible companies.

Orange County's Credit Union (broken link)
Membership is available to all residents of Orange County (California), as well as individuals who live or work in the County and the communities of Long Beach, Signal Hill, Lakewood, and Cerritos. You may also be eligible if you have a relative who is currently a member of Orange County's Credit Union, you are an employee of the County of Orange, or you work for one of our Select Employer Groups.
Thanks for the information. One of these days, I may leave my bank and become a credit union member, especially with all those affiliates, not to mention the very favorable loan rates for car purchases and such.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:07 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Orange County Teachers CU is very good. I dunno if they admit non-teachers, but Id go with them if at all possible. The services and products offered by credit unions are far superior to commercial banks imo.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:53 PM

12 posts, read 37,579 times
I got a rude awakening when I moved here from Chicago (6 months ago) and found out that my washington mutual account would not transfer because of the different financial platforms that California has. California has some type of law that makes peoples financial records (banking i guess) unavailable to other states. Likewise they cant use the records from other states. What I was able to do was keep my IL account open but all I can really do with the account is deposit and withdraw and taht can all be done online or with a customer rep over the phone. I also am a member of Orange County Teachers Credit Union and that is by far the best CU I have ever seen. But then again, in Chicago we really didn't use Credit Unions like they do out here so OCTFCU was the first CU I ever used. But overall, if you can find a Washington Mutual bank out there by you then open an account there and it should be able to be used out here for basic usage and everythin else can be done online and over the phone. ...oh and you cant get into OCTFCU unless you are a teacher or a member invites you. I am not a teacher but my mother in law invited me and my wife in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County