Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:48 AM

19 posts, read 34,860 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, I'm needing input good or bad, no holes barred, and all the pros and cons regarding moving to San Clemente. Here are the basic facts: Currently live in Florida work out of New York (in aviation, I commute) and have an opportunity to be based in Southern California with no commuting by air. The commute will be a drive to Longbeach 3/4 times a week at odd hours no 9 to 5 basically waiting for the phone to ring on a two hour call out to the Longbeach airport. My wife is from Southern California with family in Irvine, Capo beach, LA and San Fran. Two kids 17 and 8. We live 3 blocks from the beach here in Florida. I bike, run, surf with my son and still skateboard at 48yrs old. The draw to live and work in California is very strong. We've been out to California 2 to 3 times a year for years now and on the flight back we are always thinking that is where we need to be.( I choose San Clemente for proximity to work, the surf, and family) My wife said she would like to be near family, and would prefer the kids growing up near family, but knows what basic living entails out there and she knows I think about the details alot. Although I have a great job with good pay, my main concern is the cost of living. I'm fully aware why houses in Southern California are 3 times that of Florida and why rent is so high and I'm up to date on most of the issues on life in SC (income tax, rental rates, traffic, school budgets, etc) The plan is to sell in Florida, rent for 3 years minimum, then look into buying.( So, its boiling down to this..Live in Florida commuting to New York owning a house 3 blocks from the beach, or.... not commuting while renting in San Clemente with the possibility that owning may be out of the question. (we have a $300K mortgage SC looks like it would be $ 475K min) I feel that if I center my life around surfing, being home more, being around family, that everything else, owning a home, money, etc, will fall into place.
Please way in on what you think.
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 01:37 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
What are you wanting to hear? I lived there for 44 years, so I do know a bit about the area, but I'm not getting your drift.

(It's Long Beach, two words.)

Old 05-23-2012, 03:43 PM

371 posts, read 816,279 times
Seems like a no-brainer to me. San Clemente is pretty much better than almost any place in Florida, factoring in that you like surfing, running, biking, skateboarding and, presumably, being outdoors. You seem taylor-made for the coastal OC lifestyle.

Then, factoring in that the you would not be commuting out of state, it seems great. I would not worry to much about the commute. If you take the 73 toll road during non rush-hour times, I don't see that traffic would be a factor.

The only hitch is renting vs. owning. But, that is really a personal preference. For many, the idea of going from owning to renting, when you are 48 and have kids would be kinda scary. But, times have changed, and I think a more diverse range of people are renting. Owning a house 3 blocks from the beach is pretty cool, and it does not seem likely that you would be able to replicate that in San Clemente. But, if you rent, I don't see why couldn't get a place near the ocean.

Of course, the ocean is much cooler (but, I assuming you know that), but at least (for most people) the weather is considered much better here, and there is a much more diverse natural enviorment.

You could always rent out your house in Florida, and move here and rent. Then, I guess, you could always go back if things didn't work out.

How do your kids feel about it? San Clemente is a pretty cool place to grow up, especially if they are into surfing and skateboarding. I grew up in coastal OC, and the rock stars at the schools are not the cheerleaders and quarterbacks, but the top surfers and skateboarders.

At San Clemente, you are within a few hours of: Skiing, deserts, huge mountains, islands, mexico, world-class cities, amusement parks, Las Vegas, diverse national parks, world-class mountain biking, tiny hidden coves, rocky beaches, long flat beaches, shorebreak, point breaks, slabs, dozens of world-class skateparks etc.. etc... etc... In Florida, you are a few hours from...more of the same.

Last edited by bowneline; 05-23-2012 at 03:51 PM..

Old 05-23-2012, 07:13 PM

Sorry Fontucky, you are correct Long Beach two words.
I'm looking for reasons not to move and past experiences of people who may have been in the same situation. As I'm finding out, people who left have one view, and people who stay have another.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:45 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,935,073 times
Florida = year round nice weather, warm ocean, lots of humidity
California = year round nice weather, cold ocean, NO humidity

Old 05-23-2012, 10:15 PM

231 posts, read 814,099 times
san clemente is a long drive to long beach, If worked out of LB, i would live closer maybe HB or seal beach, that is just me, i dont like driving long distances to/from work but yes san clemente is a nice place where many would be lucky to live

Old 05-23-2012, 10:24 PM

102 posts, read 513,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Florida = year round nice weather, warm ocean, lots of humidity
California = year round nice weather, cold ocean, NO humidity
How can you say that Florida has year round nice weather, and then state that it has lots of humidity? High humidity automatically negates the good weather. They might have similar temps, but the humidity automatically ruins the "nice" part of the florida weather.

The warm ocean in Florida is a plus, most people at the beach in CA don't actually get in the water for very long!

Old 05-24-2012, 01:31 AM

296 posts, read 1,250,708 times
My hair begs to differ with the "no humidity" statement! :P I suppose it depends where you live...

Old 05-24-2012, 06:00 AM

Thanx, would it be totally out of the question to drive from San Clemente to LB along the PCH and get there within 2 hours? Or is the 405 and 703 the only way to get there?

Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 AM

Correction... the 73.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County