Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 08:44 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,846 times

Advertisements

Another potential relocator to Irvine here (seem to be a lot of folks in similar circumstances on this board). Trying to decide on the best place to rent a SFH. I think I would be interested in living somewhere south of Irvine, but it is very hard to figure out what city/neighborhood might work best for me. I am less worried about the commute (I would be willing to pay to use the toll road) and more worried about being close to good dedicated running paths (paved or trail) and an easy drive to good hiking in the Santa Ana mountains. Schools matter also, as I have a child who is in elementary school. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 08:52 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Irvine, Aliso Viejo (and really most of south county) all have quick and easy access to some great hiking and running trails.
Irvine probably has the better schools.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Irvine, Aliso Viejo (and really most of south county) all have quick and easy access to some great hiking and running trails.
Irvine probably has the better schools.
Thanks for the response. I've heard good things about Aliso Viejo, but I've also heard other people complain about Mello-Roos. Are Mello-Roos really that bad? Seems like a lot of folks have VERY strong negative opinions of them. In my view it seems like everywhere in OC is expensive, so I just need to accept it and pay the premium, MRoos or not.

I guess on the running score, I'm looking for something that I could run out my door and onto a trail or path and get in six miles without having to cross many streets or watch out for traffic. Is there a coastal path similar to The Strand up in the LA Beach areas? I would also be happy in a community adjacent to a canyon or park that has reliable trail running paths.

All in all, I'm very excited about the prospect of moving to Southern California. I lived in San Diego for a couple of years back in the day and I feel you cannot overstate what a positive impact the year round climate and mild weather has on one's lifestyle.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:28 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Silverado Canyon. Right in the middle of the cleveland national forest. Schools are Orange - decent, but not outstanding. Still plenty good enough for a motivated student with dedicated parents. The drive out of the canyon is a bit tedious at times.

Silverado Canyon is one of my favorite places in OC. Some pretty neat house opportunities, most with a driveway bridge over the creek. It is a very different lifestyle than most of OC.

(funny street names too "Thisaway; Thataway; Uppaway; Getaway; etc" )

If you want the subdivision lifestyle, then contact Orange county and get a trail map. They have a trails coordinator (Jeff Dickman) who is a terrific guy and knows the trial system inside and out, but he is very very busy (they keep giving him more jobs to do as people retire or gt RIFed out), so try to be nice and patient. There are a lot of subdivisions that connect intot he trial system right from backyards.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:37 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
You have a lot of options, but I will address Aliso Viejo since I live here. There are plenty of hiking and biking trails and, with 23 parks, you can easily go out your door for a run without having to deal with a lot of traffic. Some homes border the canyon.

Just about everyone lives within a block or two of a park. You can also jog on the sidewalk up the hilly streets.

Or, you can make the short drive to Aliso and Woods Canyons Wilderness Park:

Deers (sic) crossing Wood Canyon Trail path
Wood Canyon Trail - Aliso Viejo, CA - YouTube

Aliso and Wood Canyon Wilderness Park - Wcities - YouTube

Aliso Creek and Woods Canyon Park - YouTube

Mello-Roos costs vary a great deal (sometimes by thousands of dollars) even within AV, so just enter an address at the county tax assessor’s site to find out how much of a fee you would have to pay for a particular residence:
County Of Orange - Treasurer-Tax Collector's Office

Also, do your homework because some sellers in neighboring areas really jack-up their asking prices based solely upon the fact that there is “No Mello-Roos;” and in the end, the buyer may actually end up paying more for the home.

Of course, there are additional HOA costs; one is for your development, and another small one is payable to the Aliso Viejo Homeowner's Assoc. The latter is for park maintenance and beautification; plus community events like movies in the park.

Last edited by pacific2; 06-22-2012 at 10:03 AM..

Old 06-22-2012, 09:53 AM

pacific2: Thanks for the guidance and the helpful links. You make a great point about the mello-roos. Everywhere I look, I see ads trumpeting the fact that a particular house has no mello-roos. It does seem to create a market where people are willing to pay a premium to avoid them.

I think Aliso Viejo looks great and I hear excellent things about the schools. Does it have a small downtown or "central" area where people work/shop/eat, or is it more of a residential community? Also, how might you compare it (if you can) to Laguna Niguel?

Old 06-22-2012, 10:19 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Aliso Viejo has a Town Center (Business parks are nearby within walking distance) and it’s designed so that no one lives more than about 1.5 miles from it:
Aliso Viejo Town Center - YouTube

I think Laguna Niguel has a wider range of housing styles, so there’s more variety there.
Aliso Viejo is both smaller (about 7 sq mi) and more densely populated with a younger, more open and left-leaning vibe. AV has very closely placed houses, townhouses, apts and condos; lots of condos.

LN has more of a “settled (some might say stodgy) and grown-up” feel about it. LN seems more stereotypically "suburban."

That said, I have noticed that more middle-aged and even elderly people are moving into AV.

Also, city leaders in Aliso seem very committed towards the environment, and have promised changes like “complete streets.”
Complete Streets

http://greeninitiative.cityofalisoviejo.com/

Even the new Soka University Perfoming Arts Center in Aliso has incorporated some pretty impressive "green-friendly features:"
Soka University of America Performing Arts Center - YouTube

That’s not to say that they are not committed to the environment in LN, but I don't live there.

There is no nightlife to speak of in AV, but people sometimes hang-out at Renaissance CubSport in the evening:
Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Spa, Sport Club & Hotel - YouTube

Last edited by pacific2; 06-22-2012 at 10:57 AM..

Old 06-26-2012, 02:04 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,965 times
Ladera Ranch / Las Flores
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County