Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 6,127 times

Advertisements

i've lived in same low-end apartment for 7 yrs...i've filed an annoyance complaint w/apd over a tenant who lives across from me..this partic tenant is beloved in the eyes of the landlord..in that aspect,the landlord has lost many tenants due to siding w/the annoying one..my question is,how many tenants does it take,for me to step up and issue a federal complaint against this one-sidedness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 04:47 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
Go for it
No law against liking someone over a whiner

Old 08-16-2012, 05:23 PM

240 posts, read 621,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diety View Post
i've lived in same low-end apartment for 7 yrs...i've filed an annoyance complaint w/apd over a tenant who lives across from me..this partic tenant is beloved in the eyes of the landlord..in that aspect,the landlord has lost many tenants due to siding w/the annoying one..my question is,how many tenants does it take,for me to step up and issue a federal complaint against this one-sidedness?
Good luck with that. I had a similar issue when I first came to CA and lived in a ratty apt complex; the landlord was of a certain ethnic group and the tenants who were GROSSLY OVERCROWDING the apt next to mine were of the same ethnic group. Needless to say, all my complaints fell on deaf ears.

Save yourself the hassle, time and expense of pursuing a complaint and apply that same energy instead to finding yourself a better spot to live. I sincerely wish you the best of luck and remember; "this too shall pass!"!

Old 08-17-2012, 08:00 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
[quote=diety;25671346] i've lived in same low-end apartment for 7 yrs...i've filed an annoyance complaint w/apd over a tenant who lives across from me..this partic tenant is beloved in the eyes of the landlord..in that aspect,the landlord has lost many tenants due to siding w/the annoying one..my question is,how many tenants does it take,for me to step up and issue a federal complaint against this one-sidedness?[/quote]

Answer:
1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

The Federal courts will not force the landlord to like you and they cannot force the landlord to be as nice to a tenant he does nto like as he is to one he does like. But if you actually got that many people to support you, you could just take over the government and pass a law stating that everyone has to like you and treat you as special. Short of that you can move if yo do not like the landlord.

Now if you are a minority and you have actual evidence of real racial discrimination by the landlord, you may have a shot.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:42 PM

111 posts, read 328,014 times
There is nothing you can do about it other than move. I have dealt with many, many landlords and have come to the conclusion that they are almost always alike- they will deny/lie etc when you complain about another tenant. All they care about is collecting rent checks they could give a rats a** if you are kept up all night by a neighbor or whatever else you complain about.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:48 AM

Location: OC, Big Bear Lake, Las Vegas NV, Laughlin NV, Palm Desert CA
113 posts, read 422,414 times
I would just move. A new apartment complex with new management and new neighbors. Problem solved.

" See how often the simple solutions will elude us" - George Carlin

Old 07-20-2019, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,650 times
Default Going thru it too

Quote:
I can totally relate to what your going thru. I’ve been a tenant at the place I’m renting since 2017 and the landlord/managers of this 6 unit rental complex show favoritism to a certain ethnic group and only reason they chose to rent to me was because they mistakenly took me for a certain ethnicity of which I am not and since they found out my real ethnicity their attitude has changed towards me.
There’s this one particular tenant there who hates my guts and she does everything you can imagine to make me feel unwelcome and bothered like throwing trash in front of my door, allowing her kids to yell and scream and throw a ball which hits my window screens , sings songs with indirect insults towards me because she assumes I don’t understand her language but I do.
I’ve told the landlord about the harassment and he’s been saying the same thing for the past 2 years ”I’m working on getting them to move out” it’s ridiculous at this point I’m just looking to move out of there.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:04 PM

252 posts, read 422,516 times
Comes down to.....

If you do not enjoy life where you are living, for what ever reason....

Find another place to live, maybe a little more upscale.

Read the yelp reviews, and also walk thru the complex different days and different hours
and actually make the effort to talk with the residents. Without sniveling about your
current situation.

"Hi, I am thinking about moving to this area, if you have a moment, may I ask how do you like living here in ( name the complex ) ? "

You may get a WE LOVE IT ! And they will tell you why.

Or you maybe they will advise you...

The office management people are worthless....or there are noisey and party down people in apt number 4.
Or, barking dogs are a problem....or they do not have enough parking.....or they raise the rent 150.00 each year. They will let you know.

Forget about the govt, you do your own research, pack your bags and find a place that is suitable to you and your life style.

Not sure that where ever you chose will be the perfect place....usually when living in an apartment community you will have to compromise
in some way.

Put as much in your favor as you can.

Good fortune in your quest.

Last edited by kauaidooley; 07-22-2019 at 06:13 PM..

Old 07-23-2019, 05:03 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Unless the issue you're having is a issue that has to deal with a protected class and it’s discriminatory the Feds aren’t gonna care about your personal issues with the LL.

It’s easier to simply move. Since you’re saying low end apartment it leads me to believe that price was the first factor of you choosing such place. Usually those low end apartments leave something to be desired when renting. You’re finding out that something. You can stay and take it or vote with your wallet and move. Filing a federal complaint won’t get you anywhere imo.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:27 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,298,238 times
The post is 7 years old......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County