Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2007, 07:37 PM

17 posts, read 84,129 times

Advertisements

Hi-

We've found some relatively new nice homes in Bellflower (south of the 91). Can you tell me more about the area? It seems to be a good option for me (who needs to commute to Monrovia) and my husband, who would commute to Irvine.

Major gang activities there? We've lived in cities, so we can deal with a bit of crime. But, I don't want to get knifed if I go for a jog. Any advice?

THANKS!

-EH

Last edited by egyptianheidi; 10-07-2007 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 07:59 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
Bellflower is not close to Irvine or Monrovia. You are positioning your home in an area where you each will have about a one hour to two hour drive to work if you go at rush hour. It will be hard to find a nice in between area from Irvine to Monrovia. They are on polar opposites of the vast Southern California region. Monrovia is in the northern half of the region and Irvine is in the south. If one of you could get a job closer to the other, this might be reasonable, but otherwise you are too spread out and there isn't a very good midpoint. If you are fine with long drives, then that is another situation. Let me know if you can handle AT LEAST one hour in the car each direction per day.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:12 PM

Hi Missionhome-

Yes, we could each handle an hour each day, but that's the max we'd want to commute. And, to be honest, I'll have the option to work from home and not drive to Monrovia everyday. So, we'd rather live slightly closer to Irvine if that's necessary. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2007, 05:16 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,390 times
I think knowing your general budget would be helpful here - what are you willing to pay to live? Be aware that an hour commute here is not even remotely unusual...it many cases, that's low end.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:08 AM

Annual income would be around $175k...Would like to stay around $600k or less for a home...

Old 10-10-2007, 08:45 PM

186 posts, read 352,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptianheidi View Post
Annual income would be around $175k...Would like to stay around $600k or less for a home...

Don't buy a house--prices are going down--buy in 4 years--you will get a better price--prices will bottom out in about 4 years--read this articles about what happened in the 70's-80's and 80's-90's in SOuthern California real estate--there are real estate cycles in this real estate market--smart thing to do is wait and save more money--read these for more info

History of a housing bubble

the above article talks about bubble of late 80's and bust of early 90's

THE DAY LOS ANGELES'S BUBBLE BURST - New York Times

the above article talks about bubble of late 70's and bust of early 80's

Look aroung today and you see a bubble of the early 00's and a bust in the late 00's

Old 10-13-2007, 10:10 PM

104 posts, read 446,899 times
you should probably rent in Lakewood its not a bad area not too pricey and its in the middle of Irvine and Monrovia, hope this helps

Old 10-14-2007, 12:33 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootie562 View Post
you should probably rent in Lakewood its not a bad area not too pricey and its in the middle of Irvine and Monrovia, hope this helps
Bellflower and Lakewood are next to each other.
South of the 91 is pretty good other than the apartments on Ramona or the trailer parks. The freeway has retaining walls so the noise is low compared to years ago. We go for late walks and never been in any trouble.

There are new homes where the hospital was, not sure of the prices. Just to the south west of Woodruth and Artesia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County