Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 09:46 AM

125 posts, read 160,457 times

Advertisements

My DH, two sons and I are contemplating a move to Orange County from the Bay Area, where I have lived for the past 20 years. I am very much a Bay Area person, and am worried about moving south to a community that is very suburban and disconnected. We love the Bay Area and have lived in a loft in downtown Oakland and now on the water in Alameda. Diversity and the arts are important to us, as are schools, for our boys.

If DH does convince me to move for this job offer, it has to be to a place that is at least as nonconformist as SoCal goes. So far we are drawn to Aliso Viejo and Laguna Beach, but we really don't know. If you are familiar with the Bay Area, what towns would seem most Bay Area friendly?

How are the schools in Laguna Beach? My sons are currently in 1st and 3rd grade.

I am a labor and delivery RN and would also probably try to get a job in a hospital at some point. Do you have opinions about local hospitals?

We have a greyhound mix dog, and take him to the local dog parks frequently. I saw on another thread that Aliso Viejo has one. Are there others that you know of/like?

Thank you for any and all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 10:03 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
With kids, would you consider renting, knowing that you might move in a year and risk having the kids change schools?

What is your budget if renting or if buying?

Where is his job located?

Work this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/orang...ing-tools.html

Old 10-24-2012, 02:02 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,994 times
The schools in both Laguna Beach and Aliso Viejo are excellent. I wouldn't really call Aliso non-conformist, but Laguna Beach has a bit more of a bohemian vibe. There's a great art school there and they also hold the Pageant of the Masters. In many respects, Laguna Beach would be more akin to the Bay Area than other parts of South Orange County.

That said, Aliso Viejo may be a pretty typical S. OC suburb, but I've lived there for several years myself as a teen-aged, non-conformist rocker dude and never had any issues. The schools there are great, the people are nice, and it's just a hop, skip and a jump away from Laguna Beach--used to take me about 10-15 minutes from Aliso.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:41 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MirrenC View Post
We have a greyhound mix dog, and take him to the local dog parks frequently. I saw on another thread that Aliso Viejo has one. Are there others that you know of/like?
I forgot to mention, there's also a pretty popular dog park in Laguna Beach--in a grassy area more inland, off the 133. I'm more north county now, but I took my little one there once. There's even an off-leash dog beach in Huntington. I haven't been there yet, but I hear it's great. Definitely plenty of dog-friendly places in OC.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Non-comforming: Laguna beach if you can afford it. Santa Ana if you do not have a problem being a minority and if your kids can get into Orange County High School of the arts. Long Beach maybe?

Not a lot of non-conforming in Orange County. Lots of decent schools though.

Dog parks in Laguna, Aliso, and a dog beach in Huntington Beach. We had some wodnerful expereinces and some horrible experiences at all three.

You can illegally let your dog run aorund out in the cleveland national forest area (Silverado Canyon). If it pretty rare that you encounter other people out there. They run greyhound races in irvine park sometimes. Nothing officical, just people with retired greyhounds who want to let them run. It is a club.

Balboa villiage (Newport beach) is a bit crazy once you get to know the year round residents.

Silverado Canyon has a lot of old hippies, motorcycle types, people with horses . . .it is a bit different from typical OC.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:28 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Coming from Oakland, I think you would do well in Aliso Viejo. Superficially, the city seems to be like others in South County, but there are important differences.

Much of it has to do with the layout of the city (very densely populated within 7-10 sq miles with a greater than average number of attached dwellings, plus easy access to a variety of amenities); future plans and expectations (an emphasis on the environment and livability with a complete street planned, as well as an organic farm; environmentally friendly buildings such as the Soka Center for the Performing Arts); involvement/commitment by city leaders (there are people who have been working hard on making this city a success since they brought it to city-hood, and continue to do so while maintaining a balanced budget with a surplus); friendliness (not very many people want to live in this type of environment with densely packed look-alike houses, and those who do tend to seem to like people; they will greet you while walking or jogging); location (you can be at the beach in 10-15 minutes); and maybe more tolerance than you would find in most other OC cities (politically left-leaning and open to other life styles, but with its share of conservatives).

Coming from Manhattan, accessibility to amenities is very important to me, as is the knowledge that the city is working on improving livability. I used to live right across the street from a museum; could walk to Lincoln Center; catch a cab to Broadway plays; walk to restaurants and Central Park; you name it. So, I don't want to live a "typical suburb" where people pull up into the garage of a big 4- bedroom and hibernate until the next day. You don't see much of them beyond that (lots of people in OC prefer that lifestyle). You do see their cars as they drive away.

Because of Aliso's small size (a very critical feature), it is very easy to access Town Center, Soka Center for the Performing Arts, parks, the Azarian National Gymnastics Center, the Ice Palace, Renaissance ClubSport, the golf course, etc. within minutes. There are also a variety of drama, dance, yoga, and other classes available in the city. Again the smallness of the city matters much as these things are also found in other parts of OC, but it's just a bit more of a hassle to get to them.

A dog park is planned and will be constructed once it has gained final approval from the coastal commission.

Doggie day care is available. I take my dogs to PetSmart's PetsHotel for day camp and they take excellent care of them.

I like Aliso's energy and optimism.

Sorry, but I can't help much with the question about nursing jobs as I have no knowledge of that market.

PS- Laguna Beach stands out as the most non-conformist and interesting places of all OC. Most of Orange County is quite conservative.

PS.PS.

We are getting creative spillover from Laguna Beach 'cause we're such a cheap date and we live next door, and I hope that even more artistic and energetic types move here. Aliso is a still a work in progress.

Last edited by pacific2; 10-24-2012 at 06:06 PM..

Old 10-24-2012, 06:44 PM

484 posts, read 822,473 times
Interesting post. I grew up in OC and still have family there, but I have lived in SF for over 20 years. I was struggling with the same decision earlier this year, but I eventually decided to stay in SF. As my brother, who coincidentally lives in Oakland said, "Orange County is a place you move away from, not to." While I don't necessarily agree with that sentiment completely, I'm glad I decided to stay here. It's much more cosmopolitan here than in OC, and the food scene in OC can't hold a candle to the Bay Area. The pollution in the greater LA area is also annoying. Of course, I'm coming from the perspective of a single guy with a grown kid, so I didn't have to consider the concerns that might make it a good move for your family. OC also has nicer beaches and better theme parks.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:18 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
My DH, two sons and I are contemplating a move to Orange County from the Bay Area, where I have lived for the past 20 years. I am very much a Bay Area person, and am worried about moving south to a community that is very suburban and disconnected. We love the Bay Area and have lived in a loft in downtown Oakland and now on the water in Alameda. Diversity and the arts are important to us, as are schools, for our boys.

If DH does convince me to move for this job offer, it has to be to a place that is at least as nonconformist as SoCal goes. So far we are drawn to Aliso Viejo and Laguna Beach, but we really don't know. If you are familiar with the Bay Area, what towns would seem most Bay Area friendly?
I would not recommend either of those places unless you are working very close to there. They are too far south if you want to take the kids to any of the numerous museums and other attractions in the LA area on the weekends. Also Laguna Beach has too much weekend tourist traffic. I suggest checking out a place like Los Alamitos. It has diverse "10" rated schools, it is not far from the beaches and close to Belmont Shore which is a walkable neighborhood. I like Orange County much more than the Bay area and would love to get an opportunity to move back there!

Last edited by capoeira; 10-24-2012 at 11:07 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 05:45 PM

125 posts, read 160,457 times
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I will have to visit SoCal and check everything out, for certain.

It will be an adjustment to have everything an hour drive away. I can get into SF in half an hour or less, and to Alameda's walkable main shopping thoroughfare in 10 minutes. I would love to have easy/ier access to the Getty, LACMA, MOCA, the Norton Simon, the Huntington, Disney Symphony Hall, etc. SF is a cultural backwater compared to LA. The museums suck, speaking as an art historian, although we do get some decent traveling exhibitions. There would be pluses.

I am definitely a Bay Area person, however, so leaving it, if I do, will hurt like crazy. Someone suggested elsewhere that we not look in OC at all, but in Silver Lake (except, of course the public schools are awful there--but that's like Oakland and much of SF!). It's a tremendously hard decision to uproot my family, and I know I wouldn't be happy in suburbia. A childhood spent in Midwestern suburbia was quite enough for me. If my boys want that, they can do it when they're adults.

I wish I could convince my husband to commute to LA from Alameda.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:17 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I will have to visit SoCal and check everything out, for certain.

It will be an adjustment to have everything an hour drive away. I can get into SF in half an hour or less, and to Alameda's walkable main shopping thoroughfare in 10 minutes. I would love to have easy/ier access to the Getty, LACMA, MOCA, the Norton Simon, the Huntington, Disney Symphony Hall, etc. SF is a cultural backwater compared to LA. The museums suck, speaking as an art historian, although we do get some decent traveling exhibitions. There would be pluses.

I am definitely a Bay Area person, however, so leaving it, if I do, will hurt like crazy. Someone suggested elsewhere that we not look in OC at all, but in Silver Lake (except, of course the public schools are awful there--but that's like Oakland and much of SF!). It's a tremendously hard decision to uproot my family, and I know I wouldn't be happy in suburbia. A childhood spent in Midwestern suburbia was quite enough for me. If my boys want that, they can do it when they're adults.

I wish I could convince my husband to commute to LA from Alameda.
You would definitely be much happier living in urban LA, in Silverlake like you mentioned, which would be close to the westside, the museums, but also Pasadena, which is beautiful. (BTW, SF museums may not stack up to LA's, but the ballet and symphony are world-class, and SF is often much higher ranked than LA in terms of overall cultural arts). But your commute from LA to south OC would be horrendous unless you take the train.

If you want to get a sense for what South OC is like, just hop over to San Ramon, Dublin, and Pleasanton in the Bay Area. That's what most of it's like -- master planned Tuscan-themed suburban communities, golf courses, shopping malls.

Nobody has mentioned the City of Orange, which is pretty cute and very old-fashioned, not unlike Alameda, with older neighborhoods and some cute shops and restaurants. Laguna Beach is definitely more bohemian, but in a touristy sort of way. But it's really beautiful, and in the winter, when it's quieter, it's perfect. And you may also want to look into San Clemente, at the very southern part of OC, which is also a great town. It looks really Spanish, with a great beach, lots of palm trees -- almost a cliche, but it's not uppity or dominated by chain stores. Also a very small-town vibe with cool little restaurants, galleries, etc. This puts you farther from LA (and culture) though closer to San Diego as a weekend diversion (which is my favorite part of SoCal, and the most similar to the Bay Area IMO -- way more funky, liberal neighborhoods, a little cooler weather, similar culture). And at least OC does have the Segerstrom performing arts center, so you'll get some options for theater and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County