Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 12:42 PM

823 posts, read 1,784,001 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Thought I'd seek the advice of the wise folks here. There's a ~8,000 sf empty lot next to my apt complex that's been for sale for years. The high-end car dealership from down the street just bought it to store cars. They're not planning to build on the lot...no security guards...no selling...no repairs...just to store cars.

It's currently just an empty dirt field of weeds, trees, dry brush, and home for a cute squirrel, some lizards and a stray cat. Homeless guys used to stay there, so I called the police last summer to get rid of them.

I thought it was a good thing to have the dealership buy the land, but my landlords have concerns, so now I'm trying to think of possible cons to the situation. These are the possible issues.

1. Bright Lights: After tearing down the vegetation and paving it, I'm sure they'll put up lights. Will the lights be too bright for tenants at my complex? Some of the 2nd floor apt units oversee the lot.

2. Theft: Will someone go onto the apt complex grounds to jump the fence to steal a car? I can propose the dealership put up a taller fence.

3. Fire Hazard: What are the chances that a fire would start and how would 30+ cars with full tanks of gas affect a fire? I'm wondering about explosions, etc.

This is all I can think of. Any concerns about living next to a car lot? So many people live next to one, so I'm not unique, but I want to address problems now during this public hearing period.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 01:08 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
Hey guys,

Thought I'd seek the advice of the wise folks here. There's a ~8,000 sf empty lot next to my apt complex that's been for sale for years. The high-end car dealership from down the street just bought it to store cars. They're not planning to build on the lot...no security guards...no selling...no repairs...just to store cars.

It's currently just an empty dirt field of weeds, trees, dry brush, and home for a cute squirrel, some lizards and a stray cat. Homeless guys used to stay there, so I called the police last summer to get rid of them.

I thought it was a good thing to have the dealership buy the land, but my landlords have concerns, so now I'm trying to think of possible cons to the situation. These are the possible issues.

1. Bright Lights: After tearing down the vegetation and paving it, I'm sure they'll put up lights. Will the lights be too bright for tenants at my complex? Some of the 2nd floor apt units oversee the lot.

2. Theft: Will someone go onto the apt complex grounds to jump the fence to steal a car? I can propose the dealership put up a taller fence.

3. Fire Hazard: What are the chances that a fire would start and how would 30+ cars with full tanks of gas affect a fire? I'm wondering about explosions, etc.

This is all I can think of. Any concerns about living next to a car lot? So many people live next to one, so I'm not unique, but I want to address problems now during this public hearing period.

Thanks.
#1 and 2 are potential issues. Car lots do not fill the tanks, rather just keep a gallon or two in them. Mind you that makes an explosion risk a bit higher, but never heard of such occurring.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
My answers in bold.

Potentially a problem. Never hurts to ask if they have plans for this.

Theft, from retail, new vehicle dealerships, in California, is not a major issue, and happens MUCH less frequently than civilian level auto theft. The major theft issue occurring from dealers currently is identity theft cases, but in such cases dealers willingly hand cars/keys over to 'customers', thinking they are someone else. I would not consider this a likely issue/consideration, as dealers take every precaution to ensure this does not happen. Its a gigantic hassle to have unregistered vehicles turn up missing, its easier to stop it before it happens.

Also a negligible possibility. The information posted above is semi-inaccurate, if this is a NEW vehicle dealership, which is sounds like it is - dealers have manufacture kickbacks for fuel for every new vehicle sold - when and how that vehicle is filled up varies by manufacturer and dealer policy. Many dealers will store vehicle will full tanks of fuel, but this is hardly anything to be worried about - modern vehicle's fuel systems are extremely safe

I think your only real concern here is the potential for lights, and quite frankly, doesn't that beat a vacant lot?

Old 03-19-2013, 12:58 PM

Yes, I was actually excited to hear the dealership bought the land. Their current sales lot was a vacant plot of dirt that they've transformed into an attractive, clean, upper-end looking car dealership. I think they do sell the usual Honda Accords, etc., but they're all shiny new cars, not beat up junk.

The new lot they purchased for storage is kinda hard to get to. A thief would have to jump my block fence to access it. It does beat having a recycling plant, another multi-family complex or marijuana dispensary there.

Thanks for the input. I still have to address these points at the meeting just to ease the landlord's concerns. Thanks!

Old 03-19-2013, 02:27 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
I wouldn't bring up the fire issue in a public setting, at least without a bit of research.

Thats just me - please believe me when I say this - but I don't like sounding silly in public.

Spontaneous vehicle fires, that is, where the vehicle is not in an operating state, no collision involved, no foul play involved, etc, are extremely uncommon. They often occur when faulty (read: aftermarket or altered) wiring comes into play, and has very little to do with fuel. The rest are a factor of arson, also unlikely in this case.

Anyway, your other issues are potential gripes, but the fire one - I'd let that rest, for fear of sounding like chicken little, and please believe that I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 PM

Thank you for the advice, 1200RT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County