Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:12 PM

8 posts, read 30,632 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I am relocating from Northern CA to Southern CA and am going to be working in the Aliso Viejo area. We are looking at homes that fall in both the Capistrano or Saddleback school district. Since I'm not sure exactly where we will live, can anyone recommend the best high school(s) in each of the districts?

Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 04:30 PM

298 posts, read 627,846 times
I think the best high school in Capistrano District is Tesoro HS, Saddleback District I think Mission Viejo HS. I am biased towards Tesoro because that is where my daughter attends. She loves it there and is having a very positive experience. I have also noticed good test scores out of Aliso Niguel but am not familiar with anything else at that school. I think most of the high schools in either of the districts are good. The only one I do not care for is San Juan Hills HS in San Juan Capistrano.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:00 PM

61 posts, read 300,931 times
It seems like most of the high schools in both districts score well according to greatschools.net. Most are 9 rated with a couple in Capistrano with a 10 rating. My kids are still in elementary, but I know several people who have kids at El Toro HS and they all say it's a great school. If you start seriously considering any house that will send your kids to El Toro, PM me and I can put you in contact with people who have kids there. Good luck figuring out where to live!

Old 10-17-2011, 06:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phpound View Post
Hi.

I am relocating from Northern CA to Southern CA and am going to be working in the Aliso Viejo area. We are looking at homes that fall in both the Capistrano or Saddleback school district. Since I'm not sure exactly where we will live, can anyone recommend the best high school(s) in each of the districts?

Much appreciated!
Since most of the high schools in those two districts are good to excellent, why not look make the "right home" your first criteria and the high school the second criteria? You're more likely to find a good high school if you find a home you like than to find a home you like if you find a good high school.

Also check Irvine school district.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:47 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
I think the best high school in Capistrano District is Tesoro HS, Saddleback District I think Mission Viejo HS. I am biased towards Tesoro because that is where my daughter attends. She loves it there and is having a very positive experience. I have also noticed good test scores out of Aliso Niguel but am not familiar with anything else at that school. I think most of the high schools in either of the districts are good. The only one I do not care for is San Juan Hills HS in San Juan Capistrano.
Could you elaborate on this. Looking at houses in Ladera, and this is the high school that LR feeds to.

Thanks.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:31 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Could you elaborate on this. Looking at houses in Ladera, and this is the high school that LR feeds to.

Thanks.

Basically the southern 2/3rds of Ladera is zoned to SJHHS and the northern 1/3rd is zoned to Tesoro. South of Roanoke and South of Windmill is SJHHS.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:38 PM

298 posts, read 627,846 times
Axxirod, I sent you a direct message.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:35 PM

20 posts, read 38,849 times
Hi, be aware that all high schools in the Capistrano Unified school district are very over crowded. My daughters attended Dana Hills High and the # of students hovered around 3,000 to 3,200, way over crowded. I don't know what someone's problem with San Juan Hills high was-it is the newest HS in our district and quite nice. My neighbor's son went there, was very active in the drama dept(they have a fabulous drama/theatre program) and got accepted to UC Berkeley so the academics are good also. Dana hills is a good school, with good teachers in the AP classes.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:54 PM

378 posts, read 760,411 times
We've gotten a little relief at Dana now with SJHHS opening, down to 2800 kids. I know, still a lot, but it's better than 3200! We love the school, though. Both kids are in SOCSA and loving it.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:35 AM

575 posts, read 1,777,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalmom10 View Post
I don't know what someone's problem with San Juan Hills high was-it is the newest HS in our district and quite nice.
The automatic stay away from SJHHS thing doesn't make sense to me either.

I know there were problems when the school first opened, but any new school is going to have an adjustment period. I don't know that it's fair to hold that against the school 4 years later.

Personally I think the location is just awful, but plenty of people live out that way, so obviously it's not an issue for everyone.

The facilities are new, and the programs are not entrenched the way they can be at some of the other well established schools, so there are lots of opportunities for kids to get involved. Test scores and ratings are right up there with other schools in CUSD and SVUSD.

As with any school, I think you need to determine whether it's a good fit for your child, but I'm sure SJHHS is the perfect choice for some kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County