Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 03:58 PM

18 posts, read 32,973 times

Advertisements

Three more elementary schools closed this past week in Saddleback District...what is the future of our elementary schools here..will there be upward of 35kids/teacher? How can our children possibly get a decent education in a public school in middle/upper class neighbhorhoods compared to those kids now going to private schools? I used to think public schools were very good but now am reconsidering for my daughter as California is already low in education and now our district is making so many changes...I don't want my child paying the price for it. Does anyone else feel like public schools are just looking worse and worse--even the so called 9-10 rated ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 04:12 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
Wow, back to the future. Now you know what it was like going to school around there in the 60s and 70s.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciapeet View Post
Does anyone else feel like public schools are just looking worse and worse--even the so called 9-10 rated ones?
Yes, of course but that is the reality of today's economics and like what was mentioned above, the days of 20-22 kids per class were an anomaly. Look at your own class pictures from the 60s, 70, and 80s - 30+ kids. Plus there is less money for extracurricular stuff like clubs and sports.

Also, even though there may be 30 kids in a 9 or 10 school, your kids are attending school with peers of a 9 or 10 academic caliber. That's why those schools are good, not because the teachers are better but because those kids' parents are educated and smart (and pass those genes on to their kids) and those kids speak English as a first language.

How bad would it have to get a 9 or 10 government (public) school to make going to a private school worth it?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:56 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Was one of them Trabuco Canyon?

Old 05-15-2011, 09:48 PM

Yes the three that closed are Aliso elementary, Linda Vista, and Trabuco Canyon. There were definitely larger class sizes when I was growing up BUT there were more resources available to deal with the disparities a class may have had..for example non english speakers were taken out of the classroom during instructional time to a different class with a specialized teacher and then were allowed back in during group activites etc...everyone is just lumped all in one class with ONE teacher to deal with all the disparities. With that you have kids who can fall through the cracks..and the reason why a school may have a high rating is b/c just what was said..educated parents who are basically finding that they need to teach their child at home what they probably lacked learning in school--this I know first hand from MANY parents who have told me that even in other top rated school districts their kids are really not learning/being challenged because the teacher focuses on the kids with the most needs and so it falls on the parents to teach the children on their own. THAT is a huge concern for me. I realize that I have to stay heavily involved in my child's education regardless of public or private...however, I would hope that it would be supplemental to what she is learning in school vs. most of her learning coming from home.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciapeet View Post
Three more elementary schools closed this past week in Saddleback District...what is the future of our elementary schools here..will there be upward of 35kids/teacher? How can our children possibly get a decent education in a public school in middle/upper class neighbhorhoods compared to those kids now going to private schools? I used to think public schools were very good but now am reconsidering for my daughter as California is already low in education and now our district is making so many changes...I don't want my child paying the price for it. Does anyone else feel like public schools are just looking worse and worse--even the so called 9-10 rated ones?
Where are you going with this? Do you need to make a decision as to move to CA or not? Or a decision as to Saddleback or another district? Public vs private?

Old 05-15-2011, 10:26 PM

Unfortunately, I am not in the position to move out of CA, otherwise I might look into it, but I have considered moving to other school districts only to be told that the same issues are arising within their schools as well, and now I am looking at private schools..which is very new territory for me as I've just assumed public schools were the way to go my whole life...I'm dealing with very mixed emotions as a result of all these changes and just never assumed I would be in this position. One thing my husband mentioned is that it seems to him that the students of today are no longer in need of keeping up with their peers in the US...but rather globally as he seems to think that education abroad is surpassing the public schooling currently available in the US...all things which I am just pondering.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:40 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
As of 6 May all three schools were still under consideration, according to this article:
Aliso, Trabuco and Linda Vista Elementary Schools Deemed

Old 05-15-2011, 10:49 PM

I personally know a parent of a child attending one of the closing schools who has been in tears over hearing the news at the board/town meeting on Wednesday:
Adios, Aliso Elementary - Lake Forest, CA Patch
I was told that Trabuco Canyon was closing by the parent but have not seen it in writing like Aliso...

Last edited by aliciapeet; 05-15-2011 at 11:05 PM..

Old 05-16-2011, 12:28 AM

Also nothing about Linda Vista has been written up yet either...on the SVSUD website they have addresses for reassigning schools according to addresses for the Aliso students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County