Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:38 PM
JOL JOL started this thread

3 posts, read 6,908 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from San Francisco to Orange County (Costa Mesa) for a new job. However, I am not familiar with Orange County at all and I have no idea of where to live.

I was considering Irvine, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Tustin, and Costa Mesa - these areas all seem close enough to work (right by South Coast Plaza).

Ideally I'd like to pay $1200 for a studio or one bedroom. However, I am finding that my expectations need to be adjusted, since places in those areas seem to run $1300+ (just from looking through craigslist).

I've read that there are certain areas of HB to avoid, but in all honesty, I am absolutely clueless as to the neighborhoods of Orange County.

I want to live in a nice place, but it does not have to be a brand new building. What's most important to me is that I live in a safe neighborhood and safe complex.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 09:34 PM

605 posts, read 866,855 times
Congrats on the new job.
There's a lot of posts on this subject.
IMO, you're more likely to get the studio for $1200, then a one bedroom, rent is rising out here.
You're right about the 1300+, the commute down the 55 to Costa Mesa (if that's near where your new job will be) is a drag.
Newport beach is beautiful, but costly.
Fountain Valley has some nice places, and if you want to go further to North County, Placentia, Yorba Linda, or even HB is really nice for the most part.
There are many rentals near South Coast.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:48 AM
JOL JOL started this thread

3 posts, read 6,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
Congrats on the new job.
There's a lot of posts on this subject.
IMO, you're more likely to get the studio for $1200, then a one bedroom, rent is rising out here.
You're right about the 1300+, the commute down the 55 to Costa Mesa (if that's near where your new job will be) is a drag.
Newport beach is beautiful, but costly.
Fountain Valley has some nice places, and if you want to go further to North County, Placentia, Yorba Linda, or even HB is really nice for the most part.
There are many rentals near South Coast.
I apologize for the not searching the previous posts before posting this thread. I will read through the other posts for more information. However, I do appreciate your response.

A friend of mine has an apartment in HB that I am thinking about taking over on a month-to-month basis (he and his wife are moving into a house in the Long Beach - Belmont Shore area). He lives southwest of Beach and Adams, and not too far from Main Street. Does anyone know much about this area? Since my friend has lived here for 3 years, I assume that it's a pretty decent area. However, I'd still appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:16 AM

188 posts, read 989,430 times
SW of Beach/Adams....It's a nice area. Mostly families. Very Safe.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:28 AM

320 posts, read 1,733,517 times
used to love hanging at the bars on main St in HB. great place for an early lunch with clients in the summer.

You'll be fine anywhere near there

Old 10-31-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOL View Post
I apologize for the not searching the previous posts before posting this thread. I will read through the other posts for more information. However, I do appreciate your response.
A friend of mine has an apartment in HB that I am thinking about taking over on a month-to-month basis (he and his wife are moving into a house in the Long Beach - Belmont Shore area). He lives southwest of Beach and Adams, and not too far from Main Street. Does anyone know much about this area? Since my friend has lived here for 3 years, I assume that it's a pretty decent area. However, I'd still appreciate your feedback.
Thanks.
oh no no no apolgy needed. As I was reading your post, I was thinking, 'this person is not alone, I've seen so many posts from different people wanting to move to OC from all different areas' - just making reference.
Month to month leases are good, imo, safer, less difficult...
I think I know what apartments you are talking about
There's a Trader Joe's shopping center near by?...
Beach Blvd, and surrounding areas is full of rentals, near the beach too

All the best.

Last edited by WannaBNorCal; 10-31-2007 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: too many freaking smilies! for god*s sakes lol

Old 11-01-2007, 12:34 AM

111 posts, read 226,530 times
Just curious - do you consider leaving San Francisco a good thing or a bad thing? I ask because SF and OC are polar opposites. If you are happy to get out of SF and are generally conservative, you will love OC. However, if you love SF, the decision as to where to live in OC becomes more difficult.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwinston73 View Post
I ask because SF and OC are polar opposites. If you are happy to get out of SF and are generally conservative, you will love OC. However, if you love SF, the decision as to where to live in OC becomes more difficult.
I agree, I'm in it right now, and it's the hardest decision I have ever had to make in my life, what do you mean by "polar" opposites?
OC, like HB is very Conservative.

Anyway, OP, keep us posted

Old 11-03-2007, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,433 times
My mother was a teacher for 30 + years at Ocean View High School which is in Huntington Beach (around Beach/Adams). Her classes were filled mostly with Mexicans (illegals), asians & some whites. I don't associate Huntington Beach as being a very nice area to live. In fact, there is a place called "The Hood" near Beach/Adams. "The Hood" is a neighborhood filled with mexican gang bangers (the gang's name slips my mind). A lot of the surrounding cities are kind of seedy as well like Westminster, Stanton, Fountain Valley, Santa Ana, ect. I suggest if you want to live in a "nice" area you should check out south Orange County. I currently live in Orange & the demographics aren't too great & there is a lot of crime starting to occur in my neighborhood, so I'm relocating to Ladera Ranch (there are apartments there). Other cities that are "nice/decent" besides Ladera Ranch are Irvine, Tustin Ranch, Yorba Linda, Newport Beach & Laguna Niguel. I can't think of much crime happening in those cities, but they are a little more pricer then Huntington Beach.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:16 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Princess View Post
My mother was a teacher for 30 + years at Ocean View High School which is in Huntington Beach (around Beach/Adams). Her classes were filled mostly with Mexicans (illegals), asians & some whites. I don't associate Huntington Beach as being a very nice area to live. In fact, there is a place called "The Hood" near Beach/Adams. "The Hood" is a neighborhood filled with mexican gang bangers (the gang's name slips my mind). A lot of the surrounding cities are kind of seedy as well like Westminster, Stanton, Fountain Valley, Santa Ana, ect.
I don't know where you get your information about HB but its wrong.

First, Oceanview HS isn't anywhere near Beach and Adams. Its several miles away at Warner and Gothard. Yes, there's a lot of Mexicans there but that's the only high school in the district like that. It pulls from the Slater slums (Beach and Slater) and from cheap apartments up Gothard near the school. To say Huntington Beach and Fountain Valley are seedy because of one section of HB is laughable. Stanton and Santa Ana don't even border HB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County