Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:02 AM

357 posts, read 711,642 times

Advertisements

Hello all! Looking at an upcoming move for the +1's job to Irvine (where the 405 and 5 meet). I am very familiar with the OC but haven't lived there since I was a small child. A few questions and any tips would be great!

We're a late 20's couple who still enjoys going out to eat and having a few drinks on weekends but are old enough where we want to leave the party at the bars and live somewhere walking distance, but quiet. Our budget is $2,000/month for a 1 bedroom and would like to live within walking distance or easy bike ride of beach. We won't be picky but would like room for a king sized bed and a little corner desk somewhere in apt (I work from home)

- How long will the commute be from Newport Beach to the 405/5 area with typical 8am-5pm hours?
- How bad is commuting off the peninsula/balboa island/etc. if we choose to live in those areas? - He'd like to stay under 30 minutes (I know traffic is very unpredictable but as a general rule)
- Since I work from home are there any areas we could live in where I could get rid of my car and walk to grocery store and other amenities?
- How far in advance do we need to look for an apartment? He doesn't have a set start date yet and I want to make sure we have enough time to find a place we like and aren't scrambling.
- What is the best way to find apartments in LB/NB? I've been looking over craigslist but there aren't a ton of options. Is our budget unrealistic or is this just a hard time to rent with summer rentals?
- Specific tips on where to live in these areas would be great too! For instance - don't live on Peninsula since it's hard to commute off of in morning, live east of xyz street in Laguna, etc.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 08:25 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
You will hit quite a bit of traffic with any option. 30-45 min commutes.

I would start looking now to get an idea of what you are looking for. Many apartments will open up after labor day.

Laguna Beach may be a pretty good option in your case. Just a straight shot up the 133. Stay close to PCH. getting down the hills each morning will wear you down quickly. Make sure parking is included

I would also recommend Balboa Island (Newport Beach), and do a straight shot up jamboree to the 405 (or Barranca) Getting off the island my be a challenge (but it a lot smaller than the Peninsula). Again, make sure parking is included.

try this: California Apartments & Home Rentals. Los Angeles, San Diego & San Francisco / Apartment Hunters, California

Old 06-12-2013, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the advice! It sounds like from other threads the peninsula is a little too much of a party for us anyways, and from what you say, too long of a commute for us.

Would Balboa Island fit within our budget? I've only seen a couple options so don't know if we can get somewhere decent but the ferry to the peninsula seems like a great option. I'm also thinking the area around fashion island might be an easy bike ride to beach.

Does Laguna have much going on? I've read it's not great for singles (which we're not of course) but still like activities and aren't very artsy people.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-12-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
Would Balboa Island fit within our budget? I've only seen a couple options so don't know if we can get somewhere decent but the ferry to the peninsula seems like a great option. I'm also thinking the area around fashion island might be an easy bike ride to beach
Not sure what your time line is, but I will be pretty hard to find a rental during the summer on Balboa Island. Biut I've seen plenty of places within your budget.

Park Newport Apartments is within you price range. Bikeable to the harbor, Fashion Island and a lot of other Newport Amenities. Its a large almost self contained community - and the last time I visited there, it had an onsite convenience store)

I have a friend that lives in Newport North Apartments. Also near Fashion Island, within your budget and bikeable to the harbor/beach (via ferry).

There is a bike trail that loops around the back bay and connects with trails to Huntington Beach, Irvine, Anaheim (and beyond).

Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,686 times
I would suggest Newport for you. It is more quiet and conservative than Laguna. Laguna has too much drugs and street people. It will probably scare you.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
I would suggest Newport for you. It is more quiet and conservative than Laguna. Laguna has too much drugs and street people. It will probably scare you.
Wait, is this serious? I've been to Laguna a few times before and don't recall anything at all scary about the place. Is there some bad area I should know about?

Old 06-17-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
Wait, is this serious? I've been to Laguna a few times before and don't recall anything at all scary about the place. Is there some bad area I should know about?
Yes, Serious. Laguna has a lot of homeless and drunks for south county. Just something to be aware of.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:08 PM

128 posts, read 179,378 times
I love Laguna Beach and visit there regularly. That said I don't think I'd live there - I think the options for restaurants, drinks, and shopping would become a little limited after a while, but this is obviously just my opinion based on a couple of visits there.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Yes, Serious. Laguna has a lot of homeless and drunks for south county. Just something to be aware of.
The drunks are called "Tourists", and yes there are a lot of Tourists in Laguna (especially during the summer).

I do not see a lot of Homeless People in Laguna (there are some, but it never appeared to be a problem)

Old 06-18-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
The drunks are called "Tourists", and yes there are a lot of Tourists in Laguna (especially during the summer).

I do not see a lot of Homeless People in Laguna (there are some, but it never appeared to be a problem)
It depends where you look. There are two homeless shelters in Laguna now, one on Laguna canyon road and the other at the south end of PCH away from the eyes of the tourists. They are filled to capacity every night and turn away many who then go to the bus station to raise hell every night. The intention was to build very low income housing on the current site of the canyon road shelter but the city is trying to bury the idea and push it under the rug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County