Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,700 times

Advertisements

I live in the SF Bay Area. I have 2 young kids who want to visit Disneyland for the first time.

I checked Costco vacations, Priceline, and some travel aggregator, and considered putting a trip together by myself using SWA and Best Western. I can't believe it, the prices are so high and thats not even food or gifts!

Does anyone know of a better way to visit Disneyland? Does Groupon have anything?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 11:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Go to downtown Disney and look through the fence. Free and you can leave after a few minutes and avoid a horrid day.

They used to have discount tickets for locals. If you have a So. Cal address on your license, you could get a little bit off. Still it is expensive. They can charge a lot because they will keep filling the park, so why discount? There are plenty of people who will pay full price.

Otherwise- no. It is expensive. Rather than attempting an all day visit which is miserable - especially when it is hot, I suggest you get a three day pass and just go int he morning and evening. Avoid the crowds and the heat. You pay more, but it is far more pleasant. You can save money, by going in one marathon day, but it will be awful, so you are really not saving anything.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalfamily1 View Post
I live in the SF Bay Area. I have 2 young kids who want to visit Disneyland for the first time.

Does anyone know of a better way to visit Disneyland?
When are you planning to go? If you can hold off until late September, the weather is (usually) cooler and the park is a lot less crowded. By October it's a whole different experience. And room rates go down in the off season.

Eat outside the park. There are fast food and family places in the area. Disney souvenirs (though not the same as what is sold in the park) are available at the Walmart on the 5 at Euclid Street and are considerably cheaper. (Easy access from the resort area.)

If you're a AAA member be sure to check out their discounts.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:56 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,781 times
You can always try to sneak in. I have heard of some people getting away with it, They get your money anyway on concessions.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I remember as a kid going and we each got a ticket for 10 "adventures" for $4 in the 60s. When we took our kids in the 80s the E ticket for unlimited rides was about $30. Now 30 years later, with the high price of things like water, sewer, electricity, labor, benefits (including healthcare) and materials, and most importantly insurance, $90 doesn't seem that bad. You can get a good deal at one of the local Anaheim Convention Center Hotels if you go when they don't have a big event going on, because they sit almost empty. They are close to Disneyland and run shuttles if you'd rather not walk.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:06 PM

280 posts, read 422,095 times
AAA doesn't have much of a discount. My credit union gives 4.00 discount (gee, thanks.) I live within an hour of it and I can't afford to go for the day, I don't know how people from out of town do it (with hotels and all.)

Old 07-07-2013, 07:41 PM

127 posts, read 240,280 times
hehe, I was thinking of going to Disneyland just the other day... I haven't been in 10 years, but when I looked at the tickets, close to $100 I was in TOTAL SHOCK! I think I'll pass...other suckers can pay it. It's absolutely ridiculous and insane that anyone would be willing to pay that kind of price for a day at an amusement park but I must not underestimate Southern Californian's - they will pay any price for just about anything if they can put it on the credit card.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:06 PM

280 posts, read 422,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmanners View Post
hehe, I was thinking of going to Disneyland just the other day... I haven't been in 10 years, but when I looked at the tickets, close to $100 I was in TOTAL SHOCK! I think I'll pass...other suckers can pay it. It's absolutely ridiculous and insane that anyone would be willing to pay that kind of price for a day at an amusement park but I must not underestimate Southern Californian's - they will pay any price for just about anything if they can put it on the credit card.
Yep, that's why DL gets away with it, because people are paying it and it's super crowded. For that price, I could treat my family to a weekend in San Diego and stay over rather than 6-8 hours at a theme park.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:49 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
How young are your kids? Too young and it's almost a waste. As a Bay Area native I went for 1 day when my eldest was 3 or 4 and that wasn't worth it. Then when my kids were about 8 and 11 where did the 3 day thing, but only that one time. My eldest has been 4-5 times since (she now lives in SoCal) and can make a day trip of it so saves money on the motel. My son has no desire to go again, he isn't a theme park kind of guy.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:01 AM

1,877 posts, read 2,236,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
How young are your kids? Too young and it's almost a waste. As a Bay Area native I went for 1 day when my eldest was 3 or 4 and that wasn't worth it. Then when my kids were about 8 and 11 where did the 3 day thing, but only that one time. My eldest has been 4-5 times since (she now lives in SoCal) and can make a day trip of it so saves money on the motel. My son has no desire to go again, he isn't a theme park kind of guy.
I've joked with my wife that if we ever had kids, I'd take them to Disneyland before they turn 3 (their free before their 3rd birthday) and take picture of them while they were crying. If they ask to go to Disneyland in the future, I'd reference the photo and tell them how much they don't like Disneyland.

Of course I'm joking, but as I replied in another post, the pricing is structured based on their competitors and the price of a full day of entertainment elsewhere (unfortunately pricing based on your competitors is a race to the top, not bottom). Personally I think everyone should go once in their lifetime, but I'm shocked when I see big families from out of town with bags of souvenirs. My wife and I wonder how people afford these things.

To the OP, it's not the same but you may find the Walt Disney Museum at the Presidio more intriguing. Unfortunately I think your kids would be bored and would rather go to the theme park, but my adult family loves the museum in SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County