Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 07:58 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheZona View Post
Is it really that much more expensive to live in Orange County than it is to live in Boston, New York, or D.C.?
Is there a reason it shouldn't be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 08:14 PM

45 posts, read 96,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Is there a reason it shouldn't be?
I'm from the coastal Northeast and, for many years, I've flirted with the idea of moving to Orange County after finishing school.

After doing some research, it seems as though the COL in Orange County is on par with the COL in most of the Northeast.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
I'm from the coastal Northeast and, for many years, I've flirted with the idea of moving to Orange County after finishing school.

After doing some research, it seems as though the COL in Orange County is on par with the COL in most of the Northeast.
I am not sure what this has to do with a young girl from a small city in MI moving to Cal, but to answer your question: we lived in the L.A. area before moving to the DC area. I will admit that was several years ago, but car insurance, car registration and property costs were higher in Ca. We got a much nicer home, in a much better area in DC for $1000s less than we sold our house in CA. for. Groceries were similar, utilities were higher in DC because of the extreme seasons. It is really hard to research or look at charts and decide how the cost will, directly affect someone. We all spend our money in different ways. What might be a really high cost of something for me, might not affect you, but something I might be the type that spends more money on say, food, than you would ever think of spending.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarie007 View Post
Are you sure that what your saying about how much car insurance is correct? I got my own car Insurance when I was 19 (one year ago) on a 1998 4 door, Pontiac grand prix. They were charging me $130/ month. And according to the link to the article on your above post, Michigan is #3 (where I live) and California is #8 (I believe?) For the highest cat insurance prices.
I didn't realize a Grand Prix had 4 doors. Some of us learn things everyday. The age of your car adds another concern to this move. With all the traffic and the amount of bumper to bumper commuting you will be doing, has it occurred to you, your car will not last many more years, if it even makes it across the country? You will have to have roadside coverage as well; we just learned, from checking around, a lot of insurance companies do not offer roadside coverage to cars over 10 years old. In fact that is why we stuck with the company we did, even though we are paying a little more. They were the only company that did offer it or the only one we could find. So you have any idea how much gas alone is going to cost you, commuting in So Ca with the highest gas prices in the country and a car that does not get good gas mileage. Our daughter got rid of her GRand Prix partly because of the lousy gas mileage.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:50 AM
xdr3jq2cw

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The age of your car adds another concern to this move.

I agree here. A startup with AAA Premier will suffice for the towing coverage for her.

Premier members receive one 200 mile tow per household per membership year, and three additional 100 mile tows to the destination of your choice. If you frequently travel, this 200 mile tow can prove to be invaluable in the case of a breakdown.

Fuel Delivery Service – An emergency supply of fuel will be delivered to your disabled vehicle to help you reach the nearest service station. Premier members are provided the fuel free of charge.

One Day Complimentary Rental Car – If your vehicle requires towing, AAA will reimburse the Premier member for a one day car rental (up to a full size vehicle) per household, once per membership year, inclusive of service fees and taxes. Coverage applies when the member's car is inoperable in conjunction with a non-collision covered towing event. Need a car rental reservation and/or reimbursement form? Call 1-800-622-9211.

Trip Interruption & Vehicle Return – AAA Premier Members have added peace of mind when driving 100 miles or more from home. If you are driving or riding in a AAA-qualifying vehicle which becomes inoperable as a result of a traffic accident (not mechanical failure), or your vehicle is stolen, you may receive a reimbursement for up to $1,500 of your covered unexpected out-of-pocket expenses incurred during the first 96 hours immediately following the accident/theft. These expenses include:
  • Car rental (excluding gas, insurance and drop or one way fees)
  • Meals and lodging in the vicinity of the incident (within a 25 mile radius)
  • Commercial transportation from the location of the incident to your destination or current residence.
You can also be reimbursed up to $500 to help you get your car back home if an unexpected illness or injury prevents you from completing your trip."

We have had AAA for years. I had an old 1/4 ton Datsun that would need jump start in parking lots in San Bernardino 80 miles from home(during shopping trips), oh my ..and AAA would come and give me jump start so I could get home. My dad would break down coming home from work, I'd have him towed using AAA. It is valuable. We were at the Plus Membership Until 3 years ago when we upgraded to the Premier.

Tip: The Premier membership is only available if you buy it to begin with(during startup), if you go with the regular membership (which will only provide you 7 miles free towing)and then want to upgrade you must have no more than 2 calls in the 12 months of the dues payment or you wont be "eligible" for Premier upgrade. learned that one the hard way. I had to use it every year for years, and so then every year I was not eligible for upgrade. It was a vicious circle.
Then we changed from Gas motor vehicles to Diesel.

In any case, she should look into her area AAA.

When adding it onto insurance, there can be, not always, certain stipulations for a tow and/or reimbursement. In other words, sometimes the insurance company will require you to pay for the tow upfront, and then they will reimburse you for it after you submit your claim for the amount due.

Personally, I need towing coverage that wont require me to pay upfront so I don't risk being put into a bind for something that *comes up* out of nowhere(and say you have already paid all your bills and you are stretched to the hilt)

AAA Home

Old 09-02-2013, 09:10 AM

45 posts, read 96,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not sure what this has to do with a young girl from a small city in MI moving to Cal, but to answer your question: we lived in the L.A. area before moving to the DC area. I will admit that was several years ago, but car insurance, car registration and property costs were higher in Ca. We got a much nicer home, in a much better area in DC for $1000s less than we sold our house in CA. for. Groceries were similar, utilities were higher in DC because of the extreme seasons. It is really hard to research or look at charts and decide how the cost will, directly affect someone. We all spend our money in different ways. What might be a really high cost of something for me, might not affect you, but something I might be the type that spends more money on say, food, than you would ever think of spending.
Compared to where I grew up in New England, property taxes and auto insurance are less expensive in California.

I'm unsure if car registration costs are more or less expensive; however, if I had to guess, they're less expensive in California.

Financing rates are much less expensive in California than in the Northeast.

Thankfully, California doesn't tax vehicles as personal property like Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts--at least not yet.

For the most part, Orange County is home to roads and freeways that are in fantastic condition--probably the best roads in all of California. I can't imagine that regular vehicle maintenance would be more expensive in Orange County than New England, especially for older vehicles, because of the latter's deplorable road conditions, harsh winter weather, and humid summer weather.

Gasoline costs roughly the same in Connecticut as it does in California--if not more--and it's only marginally less expensive in R.I. and Mass. Furthermore, food in California is dirt cheap compared to food in New England. Lastly, utilities are much less expensive in Southern California, but that goes without saying.

Last edited by InTheZona; 09-02-2013 at 09:18 AM..

Old 09-02-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Compared to where I grew up in New England, property taxes and auto insurance are less expensive in California.

I'm unsure if car registration costs are more or less expensive; however, if I had to guess, they're less expensive in California.

Financing rates are much less expensive in California than in the Northeast.

Thankfully, California doesn't tax vehicles as personal property like Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts--at least not yet.

For the most part, Orange County is home to roads and freeways that are in fantastic condition--probably the best roads in all of California. I can't imagine that regular vehicle maintenance would be more expensive in Orange County than New England, especially for older vehicles, because of the latter's deplorable road conditions, harsh winter weather, and humid summer weather.

Gasoline costs roughly the same in Connecticut as it does in California--if not more--and it's only marginally less expensive in R.I. and Mass. Furthermore, food in California is dirt cheap compared to food in New England. Lastly, utilities are much less expensive in Southern California, but that goes without saying.
well if you go by statistics like you seem to do, CA has the highest gas prices as of a few days ago. Of course we all know this changes day by day. AS for property taxes, I can't judge. I do know car insurance used to be among the highest and car registration was far and above the highest in the nation. I do agree, the Northeast is also very expensive. Right now, though most of us are comparing what the OP will be facing if she decides to move from MI to Orange county. Oh and yes, the roads in CA are the best, there is no doubt about that. I didn't mention anything about auto maintenance, again, I can't judge, I am talking about a young lady, earning what a nurses aid earns, commuting miles and miles a day in a 15 year old car. So you are basing all this on statistics you are getting off the net, I am only trying to address the OP, like most of us are

So, yes, I was addressing your comments, but I also mentioned I have no idea about costs in New England, I gave examples compared to DC, not NE. BTW, again, not knowing the cost of things in NE I can not compare, but food in the DC area was, overall the same as So California.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:26 AM

38 posts, read 57,467 times
I don't have that car anymore. I was just saying that's how much it cost me a year anda half ago when i first got insurance. That car broke only after having it for 2 years. and I now have a 2007 cobalt.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:28 AM

38 posts, read 57,467 times
I hated that car anyway.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:27 PM
xdr3jq2cw

n/a posts
Jmarie007

When transferring a vehicle from another state,

There are you transfer fees, reg registration fees, any county/state local area (city municipality) fees, smog fees, VIN Inspection fees as well as sales tax. If you cannot prove, that in the lifetime of the vehicle ownership that you have indeed paid Tax on your vehicle, you will have to Re-pay sales tax under the new local jurisdiction of where you relocate. (most states)

This needs to be worked into the budget. To fully understand the state for which you are efforting to re-locate call their DMV and ask for a VIN # relocation estimate(New to Ca).
They will run your vin and give you an estimate based on the zip code you are headed for. You can gauge this ahead of time, and know what costs you will most likely have to move in and what ongoing costs will be moving forward.

Sacramento
916-657-6525: DMV California customer service phone number #3 | GetHuman.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County