Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:17 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,935,073 times

Advertisements

Traffic sucks in So Cal sometimes, it's part of the charm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 11:51 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I say this as a resident of OC for the last 23 years, DO NOT EVEN THINK OF MOVING TO SO CAL IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CAR, AND CAN'T DRIVE ON THE FREEWAYS.

Let me reiterate, DO NOT EVEN THINK OF MOVING TO SO CAL IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CAR, AND CAN'T DRIVE ON THE FREEWAYS.

If you need to start practicing, DO IT NOW
I agree I grew up here, people without cars don't do well in So Cal. Look at who rides the bus......people with no money and no car. And get some good defensive driving skills.......you will need them here. Changing lanes with 1/2 car length at 80 seems to be pretty common these days. LA is even worse than OC.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:31 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,935,073 times
Don't get me wrong, I work with people that take the train into the Irvine station from the I.E., but locally it's a different story.

When one of my coworkers tells us they're going to start riding the bus, the first question is always, DUI ?

Old 09-15-2013, 10:50 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtowne View Post
I've worked from home for the last four years, so my driving skills are a bit rusty and I'm not sure how good I'll be on the CA freeways. If I could take a bus or train to Irvine, that would be even better.
Mass transit is not the way to go in SoCal because it's very inconvenient. If you are nervous about getting onto CA freeways, have you considered taking a refresher driver's ed course? Driving would be far more time efficient than taking a bus or train.

Like most people, I use the freeways a lot, and much of what I have observed in terms of bad driving is tailgating (very, very common), occasional slow drivers in fast lanes, and utter stupidity when it comes to merging, or changing lanes. Don't be surprised if, while going 70 on the highway, someone who is going 60 decides to "park" right in front of you.

None of this is unique to SoCal, but it does seem that there is far more tailgating here than in other places where I have lived.

Just a heads up, I take the Tolls everyday, and while I sometimes might have a lead foot while on other freeways, I stay around the speed limit on them since they are more heavily patrolled.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:11 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Damn they patrol the toll roads now...........we saw that as a perk years ago........we called it the Laguna Autobahn......times change.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:25 PM

350 posts, read 710,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Don't get me wrong, I work with people that take the train into the Irvine station from the I.E., but locally it's a different story.

When one of my coworkers tells us they're going to start riding the bus, the first question is always, DUI ?
I'm thinking the same thing whenever I see I someone other than a nanny, a cleaning lady, or a college kid waiting for a bus.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 AM

211 posts, read 373,288 times
Dont live in irvine.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
If you work from home, then you won't need to get on the freeways. Will your husband need to travel during rush hour? You you can live between Redondo Beach and Long Beach to for shortest commute times along the 405 although there are other more inland options but I'm speaking just from experience. I commuted from Redondo Beach to Costa Mesa everyday for a couple of years. The drive to work was over 60 MPH until you hit Huntington Beach, the it was slow for a couple of miles , picked up again and slow once you get into Irvine. I worked just north a block north of the Airport. It would take me only about 45 minutes to get to work once on the freeway. Long Beach would be about 12 minutes away. LAX is about 25 minutes with traffic, 15 minutes without. On the drive back you would have about 8 miles of traffic until you pass the 605, after that it is fast driving. Traffic on the other side of the freeway is always so much worse. I know many people that commute north , Huntington Beach to Torrance, along the 405 and it takes them 25-35 minutes, LAX would be another 20-30 minutes which is why I made the limit Long Beach. These times are not taking advantage of the carpool lane.

I just Googled Map Irvine to LAX and LAX to Irvine, 45 minutes if you go either direction.

If you driving skills are bad, I guess sitting in traffic doesn't take a lot of skill.

Maybe some OC natives can enlighten me, but why does traffic get slow from Beach Blvd to Brookhurst then picks up again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County