Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 05:05 PM

823 posts, read 1,785,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2020 View Post
they would be in transition as part of a relocation. ideally, they would have a job offer on hand but it's very possible they will just have to move out there without a job. credit is not a problem and they would have hundreds of thousands in liquid assets (savings acct & stocks)
Oh, well, this completely changes the situation . Private landlords are easier to work with than management companies. My previous landlord was super nice. When a tenant lost his job, she gave him 2 months free rent. A management company would not do that. My landlord would consider applications with this type of situation, because it's a reasonable transition period.

I thought of offering advance rent payments, but I think they'd need to pay for more than just the first few months. My mother-in-law had a tenant who paid one year's worth of rent in advance! I wondered what kinda criminal activity they were going to conduct at the house, but they turned out to be great tenants. They had good credit, but offered the advance payment themselves and even did it again the following year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 09:07 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2020 View Post
do landlords and mgmt companies generally rent out to a family if they have adequate in cash savings although neither of the parents are employed at the time of move-in?
I have seen things like prepaying for the year long lease. I've heard things like putting a significant amount of funds into escrow(never seen).

Old 10-11-2013, 11:54 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroSigh View Post
Wife and I are considering renting a house in Orange, while we save some cash for buying in a year. We're more than qualified to rent this place. Our incomes are strong and we have solid jobs. Credit is over 750. No kids. Is it reasonable to negotiate the rent? There are a few drawbacks with the house, so it's not ideal.

I'm sure it will rent but can/should we try negotiating a bit given that we would be stellar tenants? We own in another state and would gladly reduce rent for the right tenant...
The last tenant negotiated 2 years without a rent increase...

I had no problem doing this and it was very important to them because they had experienced renting with 6 month leases and didn't like it at all... several rent increases over a short time period.

I'm renting a 5 bedroom home to a retired couple... they loved the location and showed me what they were paying somewhere else... I just got the home redone after the last family with 6 boys destroyed the place... spent over $600 just on window screens plus every door had problems... and they set the living room carpet on fire when a log rolled... yes, they did pay for the damages... still, it was a major pain.

I discounted the rent 10% and the last two years have been heaven!!!

When I'm up there way on business they insist I stay with them... they have lots of room and so far I've stay two nights and love how they take care of the place.

It comes down to what do you bring to the table compared to the competition.

Just one word of warning...

An old property manager didn't like to rent to those with outstanding credit and income because she veiwed them as short-timers and turnovers cost money!

Old 10-12-2013, 01:26 AM

36 posts, read 55,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Just one word of warning...

An old property manager didn't like to rent to those with outstanding credit and income because she veiwed them as short-timers and turnovers cost money!
Bingo. We actually lost the property to a family of four (place was 1200 sqft and 1 bath ). I mentioned to the agent that our plan was to squirrel away for the year and then buy. I can't think of any other reason we didn't get the place, particularly as it was before any formal contract or negotiations. Lesson learned, I guess.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:43 AM

This is one reasons students often have a hard time even with parents cosigning...

Landlords know at best the tenancy is limited.

My longest tenant started in 1987 with several more from the early 90's...

Old 10-14-2013, 03:16 AM

193 posts, read 309,933 times
I have rented and I have owned... I'll never rent again.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:26 AM

My MIL is going through this now as she finds a tenant for the house she used to live in. An applicant said they would like to sign a 1-year lease, but are planning to buy. If they end up moving before the year is over, they're willing to pay a fee or lose part of their security deposit. What do I think, she asked?

I was in the same boat as this applicant and as neurosigh, so I can empathize, but I told mom the tenants will have to pay for the remainder of the lease if they move early and the security deposit shouldn't be used to cover this. Mom is spending so much money to fix up the house.

This whole fixing-up-the-rental and dealing with people business is making mom's husband reconsider their plans to buy another rental property. I don't blame them

to NeuroSigh--there are landlords out there who are willing to rent month-to-month. My previous landlord did month-to-month to make it easier for her to get rid of new tenants who end up being a nightmare. She never had this problem at the complex I was at, but her other complex, a much larger one, had problems.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
My MIL is going through this now as she finds a tenant for the house she used to live in. An applicant said they would like to sign a 1-year lease, but are planning to buy. If they end up moving before the year is over, they're willing to pay a fee or lose part of their security deposit. What do I think, she asked?

I was in the same boat as this applicant and as neurosigh, so I can empathize, but I told mom the tenants will have to pay for the remainder of the lease if they move early and the security deposit shouldn't be used to cover this. Mom is spending so much money to fix up the house.

This whole fixing-up-the-rental and dealing with people business is making mom's husband reconsider their plans to buy another rental property. I don't blame them

to NeuroSigh--there are landlords out there who are willing to rent month-to-month. My previous landlord did month-to-month to make it easier for her to get rid of new tenants who end up being a nightmare. She never had this problem at the complex I was at, but her other complex, a much larger one, had problems.
Just remember the landlord is generally required to mitigate damages... so collecting to the end of the lease with the unit empty and not trying to actively find a replacement tenant would be a problem where I live.

Some will have a clause for liquidated damages or lease buyout fee of two months rent...

In my State Security is always refundable if the unit is returned in like condition less normal wear and tear and no monies are owed...

The only thing that matters is the law where the rental is located...

Old 10-14-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Just remember the landlord is generally required to mitigate damages... so collecting to the end of the lease with the unit empty and not trying to actively find a replacement tenant would be a problem where I live.

Some will have a clause for liquidated damages or lease buyout fee of two months rent...

In my State Security is always refundable if the unit is returned in like condition less normal wear and tear and no monies are owed...

The only thing that matters is the law where the rental is located...

You're right...mom would have to try and find a replacement tenant if her current moved out early. I'll let mom know about the 2 months rent buyout fee, but that just seems like such a hassle still. Her last tenant had a dog that did do some damage, so I hope mom kept some or all of the deposit to cover the repair cost.

Hope mom can find good tenants like the retired couple you got. If she does, I hope she doesn't raise the rent on them. I used to hate handing out rent increases when I was an apt manager. I know, my husband often said I took the job too personally, but it was just hard thinking that the super great tenants might leave over an extra $25/month. Good tenants are hard to come by.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
You're right...mom would have to try and find a replacement tenant if her current moved out early. I'll let mom know about the 2 months rent buyout fee, but that just seems like such a hassle still. Her last tenant had a dog that did do some damage, so I hope mom kept some or all of the deposit to cover the repair cost.

Hope mom can find good tenants like the retired couple you got. If she does, I hope she doesn't raise the rent on them. I used to hate handing out rent increases when I was an apt manager. I know, my husband often said I took the job too personally, but it was just hard thinking that the super great tenants might leave over an extra $25/month. Good tenants are hard to come by.

My philosophy on my own rentals is different than managing for others where the question is not if the rent was going up... just how much.

Having great long term tenants is well worth to me to forego the automatic annual increase...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-15-2013 at 12:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County