Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 04:18 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,509,430 times

Advertisements

No I thought about it before deciding to move to CA. I am in my 40's and not meant to live like a gold prospector in the 1800's. Besides the smart guy, Levi, made money selling to the prospectors so a smart businessperson would be selling supplies in that area not doing the back breaking work. Most of the jobs are truck drivers hauling toxic waste and rents are as much as silicon valley. Why do you think Walmart pays $17 hour because it costs so damn much to live there! You can have my slot in that "money machine"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 09:12 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,356,791 times
Tough question. Do I have to live in ND for the rest of my life? Or could I bank some money and move back???

Old 10-27-2013, 03:46 PM

167 posts, read 196,206 times
I can't believe so many people said no or are asking additional questions. I would agree in a heartbeat. And I think a lot of people that say differently would really agree or maybe I'm just so messed up with no integrity. People who make little money would agree because it would be a huge life standard difference but even people that earn a lot like 150-200k would agree probably even more likely. Poor people think theres no difference between making 200 and 400. You can observe that when people are mad when athletes change teams just because the other team pays them 2 million more. They already have 8 million a year. Whats the difference? But see everybody has his own "normal", for a person that makes 200 for 10 years, 200k i normal now, same normal as it is for other people to make 40k. They have different problems but in their head they feel the same because they are used to different things. Doubling salary would have a great affect on everyone. Specially when you mention a relocation to at least still in USA. People would leave to live in Russia for this salary probably.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:28 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,190,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blam View Post
I can't believe so many people said no or are asking additional questions. I would agree in a heartbeat. And I think a lot of people that say differently would really agree or maybe I'm just so messed up with no integrity. People who make little money would agree because it would be a huge life standard difference but even people that earn a lot like 150-200k would agree probably even more likely. Poor people think theres no difference between making 200 and 400. You can observe that when people are mad when athletes change teams just because the other team pays them 2 million more. They already have 8 million a year. Whats the difference? But see everybody has his own "normal", for a person that makes 200 for 10 years, 200k i normal now, same normal as it is for other people to make 40k. They have different problems but in their head they feel the same because they are used to different things. Doubling salary would have a great affect on everyone. Specially when you mention a relocation to at least still in USA. People would leave to live in Russia for this salary probably.
Sure, you could buy a big house with a huge theater room and spend six months in it watching TV because it's too cold to go outside.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:49 PM

167 posts, read 196,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Sure, you could buy a big house with a huge theater room and spend six months in it watching TV because it's too cold to go outside.
On the other hand like many posters here already admitted if youre a professional from like Irvine you probably dont go to the beach. Just get up at 7-8, yore home at 6, eat dinner, its already 7. You watch some tv and you go to bed. Cant say its gonna be much different in N Dakota. You just need a nice luxury car with heated seats or whatever. I imagine its kinda like Phoenix but the other way around. In Phoenix you cant open a window or you gonna die from heat yet so many people live there and in scottsdale.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:03 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,705,822 times
Quote:
On the other hand like many posters here already admitted if youre a professional from like Irvine you probably dont go to the beach. Just get up at 7-8, yore home at 6, eat dinner, its already 7. You watch some tv and you go to bed. Cant say its gonna be much different in N Dakota. You just need a nice luxury car with heated seats or whatever. I imagine its kinda like Phoenix but the other way around. In Phoenix you cant open a window or you gonna die from heat yet so many people live there and in scottsdale.
On the other hand, it could be that a disproportionate number of posters spend more time in relatively passive pursuits like watching TV and going online, than do many others. I live in the general area near Irvine, and have noticed that a lot of people here take advantage of the good weather by going to the beach, boating, jogging, dog walking, mountain biking, hiking, etc.

Luv OC's weather!

Old 10-28-2013, 12:49 AM

19 posts, read 52,944 times
Oddly enough, a couple of towns in North Dakota have made the "best places to retire" lists. But to answer your question, we just retired to OC from Chicago due to the harsh winters, so it is a definite NO for me.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:30 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,190,432 times
Quote:

Yes, I'll admit you are correct for a lot of people - which amazes me. So often on a 72F degree in February, I'll see my coworkers sitting at their desk at lunch reading a newspaper or surfing the net at lunchtime instead of enjoying a nice, healthful walk. Similarly, in winter, temps in the 70s, so many of my neighbors are inside watching some football game (even though we don't even have a team here in LA), meanwhile some gardener is mowing their lawns.

We paid big bucks for the weather to live here yet a lot of us don't take advantage of it.

But, having lived in other parts of the country, you do see a lot more joggers, cyclists, dog walkers, kids playing sports/skateboarding, etc in winter here in SoCal than you do most other places.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:28 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,509,430 times
Another reason I wouldn't do it. Regulations seem pretty lax there.
North Dakota failed to inform the public of 100s of oil spills over last two years - report ? RT USA

Old 10-28-2013, 06:22 PM

211 posts, read 529,777 times
Most definitely. Wouldn't think twice about it. OC is definitely nice, but I could use a change of scenery for a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County