Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 08:05 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Do you find that incessant whining and throwing virtual temper tantrums by anyone is effective?

The weather remains the same, COL is still high, etc.
He's been quite for a few weeks.
He's back. I think his meds ran out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 12:28 PM

567 posts, read 787,948 times
OK, so I live in AZ, but I own properties in South OC, North SD County, and NorCal, had another business in OC, and have family there. I've spent enough time in SoCal since the '70s that it's my second home. I can say with certainty that anybody who believes in all the PR that CA is or ever has been a perfect place has spent too much time in the sun.

Everybody's been having harsher weather over the past few years, be it higher temps, drenching rain, drought, or terrible snowstorms. Home prices always have been high in this part of the country compared to most anywhere else, save NYC, San Fransisco, and Honolulu. Traffic's the pits, but you're not alone in that. Earthquakes, the Santa Anas, air pollution, brush fires, crime, and the ocean (ah!) or parched desert or neither of those-- THAT'S California.

The bottom line is that no place is perfect. Don't believe the hype.

From my usual perch in Phoenix, home of naturally high temps and this year's unbelievable flooding, here's my two-word answer as to what's the benefit of living in OC: the ocean. You have an ocean. I know that many of my friends and relatives around LA are so used to it that they never go to it, but I miss it terribly when I'm gone. It may take over an hour or two to get there, your feet may be hot until you nearly reach its edge, and you may live in a dinky, overpriced place, but you still are near that water, which to me is heaven on earth.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:33 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaMom View Post
OK, so I live in AZ, but I own properties in South OC, North SD Counties, and NorCal, had another business in OC, and have family there. I've spent enough time in SoCal since the '70s that it's my second home. I can say with certainty that anybody who believes in all the PR that CA is or ever has been a perfect place has spent too much time in the sun.

Everybody's been having harsher weather over the past few years, be it higher temps, drenching rain, drought, or terrible snowstorms. Home prices always have been high in this part of the country compared to most anywhere else, save NYC, San Fransisco, and Honolulu. Traffic's the pits, but you're not alone in that. Earthquakes, the Santa Anas, air pollution, crime, and the ocean (ah!) or parched desert or neither of those-- THAT'S California.

The bottom line is that no place is perfect. Don't believe the hype.

From my usual perch in Phoenix, home of naturally high temps and this year's unbelievable flooding, here's my two-word answer as to what's the benefit of living in OC: the ocean. You have an ocean. I know that many of my friends and relatives around LA are so used to it that they never go to it, but I miss it terribly when I'm gone. It may take over an hour or two to get there, your feet may be hot until you nearly reach its edge, and you may live in a dinky, overpriced place, but you still are near that water, which to me is heaven on earth.
Great point. We don't even live on the beach, but my sister makes it a point to go to the beach just about every weekend. When she was living in Texas she felt so deprived...so she had to come back despite the differences in COL, the traffic and how crowded it is here.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:24 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,634 times
Fully agree with the OP. I'm from Santa Cruz and moved down here to OC for my wife's graduate degree. It has provided lots of financial opportunities for us but is overcrowded, hot and super expensive. I can't wait to hopefully get out one day and maybe go up to the central coast somewhere.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:58 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Always griping about one thing or another. The times they are a'changing. It happens. The better weather will be back, the rain will be back. It's just an odd season.
Odd season? Its been like this for about 4 years now. Much more than a "season". Ive lived in SoCal most of my life. Never, ever has it been so dry, hot and humid in OC for so many years in a row, never. What happened to the rain? What happened to cloudy cool days? What happened to May Grey and June Gloom? All things of the past. Something is very wrong.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:55 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Odd season? Its been like this for about 4 years now. Much more than a "season". Ive lived in SoCal most of my life. Never, ever has it been so dry, hot and humid in OC for so many years in a row, never. What happened to the rain? What happened to cloudy cool days? What happened to May Grey and June Gloom? All things of the past. Something is very wrong.
And how long is that? 30 years? 35?

You obviously don't remember the 1940s when there was a drought with pretty much no rainfall for 4 years. Or the drought of the 1980s. Or any of the other weather anomalies of the past.

The only thing wrong is you.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I'll buy you a Greyhound ticket to Texas. Please go.
I will chip in.

Quote:
As already has been pointed out, weather has changed all over the last few years. Not just in Southern CA. They're getting tornadoes in New England.

Would prefer 90 degree temps with humidity as well? You want talk miserable weather, try FL.

Why don't you just leave?

You complained about the illegal kids coming into CA, when it was pointed out that there were not one but two demonstrations to protest illegals coming into CA in your area, you said you couldn't be bothered.

So you complain about things, but you take no action.

Seriously, put your condo on the market and go.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:55 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
I still wouldn't complain about weather in OC. I was there last December and it was cool and rainy, even cold at night. The drought is a pattern that will hopefully break soon. Isn't this supposed to be an El Nino winter? That should bring some rain. And what people in SoCal think is humid is absolutely nothing compared to the humidity in the eastern 2/3 of the U.S.

We had a couple years of drought here in Colorado, and finally this summer was much wetter than usual across the state. Sometimes, annoyingly so. The first year we moved to Denver from OC, there was a heatwave. Temps over 100 degrees day after day at this elevation isn't especially comfortable lol! This past summer only hit 100 twice, so much better.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:52 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,787,792 times
The weather has been too hot and dry for a few years now....its getting real old. Yeah yeah its worse in the south or tejas...but we pay a ton of money to live here....not feeling the benefit lately ....if oc didn't have good schools...

Old 10-09-2014, 03:29 PM

462 posts, read 741,857 times
Quote:
CA is reverting back into a drier state, the last 50-100 years have been unusually wet. Just curious why havent u considered leaving the state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County