Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2015, 06:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,276 times

Advertisements

My husband has accepted a job in Irvine. I can transfer my position to our office in downtown San Diego, so we'll be moving to CA in a few months. We would like to live in San Clemente since it is somewhat in between. I only have to commute into my office 2-3 days a week. My hours are flexible - I really just have to be there for about 8 hours anytime between 6:30 am and 6:30 pm, although I prefer to work earlier hours (I currently work 7 to 3:30).

I have been trying to figure out my commuting options. Unfortunately, the Surfliner doesn't stop in San Clemente often and even if I picked it up in Oceanside, the times are not that great since the earliest it could get me into San Diego is past 9am and then the return either leaves San Diego about 4 (too early) or 6:45 (too late). I would actually prefer to drive (or vanpool if I can find one) but wondered what the peak rush hour times are. Is it better to leave home at 5:30 am or 9:00am? What about the return - will there be more traffic if I leave San Diego at 3:30 pm as opposed to 6:30pm? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 11:13 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,136,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaAngel View Post
My husband has accepted a job in Irvine. I can transfer my position to our office in downtown San Diego, so we'll be moving to CA in a few months. We would like to live in San Clemente since it is somewhat in between. I only have to commute into my office 2-3 days a week. My hours are flexible - I really just have to be there for about 8 hours anytime between 6:30 am and 6:30 pm, although I prefer to work earlier hours (I currently work 7 to 3:30).

I have been trying to figure out my commuting options. Unfortunately, the Surfliner doesn't stop in San Clemente often and even if I picked it up in Oceanside, the times are not that great since the earliest it could get me into San Diego is past 9am and then the return either leaves San Diego about 4 (too early) or 6:45 (too late). I would actually prefer to drive (or vanpool if I can find one) but wondered what the peak rush hour times are. Is it better to leave home at 5:30 am or 9:00am? What about the return - will there be more traffic if I leave San Diego at 3:30 pm as opposed to 6:30pm? Thanks!
You do not need the Surfliner. You can drive to the Oceanside Train Terminal and take the Coaster to downtown San Diego. The Coaster ride is among the most beautiful and wonderful in the world. People drink in the evenings. It is a wonderful train. Note that it is about an hour ride from Oceanside.

If you want to drive it, it is not too far but traffic starts 5 Southbound at or about the Canon Road or Poinsettia and is slow go thereafter. The I-5 in San Diego county is not like ours. It is in bad shape but there will be no relief, if at all, for 20 years.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:08 PM

32 posts, read 34,044 times
Driving to Oceanside would work if you live in the far south of San Clemente. Otherwise I would take the Pacific Surfliner from San Juan Capistrano (SNC). It's just a few minutes drive North of SC. The first train is at 7:25 am and gets you to SAN at 9:00.

Going back to San Juan Capistrano (SNC) they have trains 1:40, 2:40, 4:00, 6:45 .... so on

Even if I lived in south SC I'd probably still use the station at SJC. I hate getting stuck on that stretch of Camp Pendleton with no way out. At least if you have traffic on the freeway going the few mins North you have exit opportunities and surface streets to take.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:15 PM

32 posts, read 34,044 times
<< Is it better to leave home at 5:30 am or 9:00am? What about the return - will there be more traffic if I leave San Diego at 3:30 pm as opposed to 6:30pm? Thanks!>>

If there are days that you do drive and need to be in SD early and don't mind leaving at 5:30a that will work. Otherwise, if you don't need to be in SD too early leaving at 9:00a works too because you'll have missed the rush hour traffic. The only issue with driving other than rush hour is if there is an accident and traffic backs up.

Going back north, if you don't leave SD by 3:00 I'd wait until 6:30. If you leave at 3:30 you'll have some slow downs but it shouldn't be like a parking lot. Although, when there are events at the Del Mar Fairgrounds it can back up around there.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,276 times
Thank you both!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County