Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 12:31 PM

92 posts, read 134,318 times

Advertisements

Analyst warns O.C.'s luxury homes may be overpriced - The Orange County Register

May be going against the wind of the market. I certainly don't see the location as crappy but personally the house not my thing. Just too lazy and old to maintain such a property as it should be maintained. Additionally I'd be curious about a floor plan of the house. Some of these are a warren of unusually shaped rooms which are counter to today's trend of open floor plans. They can require creativity in furnishing or expensive remodeling. It certainly will get an above average price for the neighborhood, hopefully for the seller it will be someone who falls head over heels for it.. Bears watching to see what exactly happens to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 12:40 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmfan View Post
Analyst warns O.C.'s luxury homes may be overpriced - The Orange County Register

May be going against the wind of the market. I certainly don't see the location as crappy but personally the house not my thing. Just too lazy and old to maintain such a property as it should be maintained. Additionally I'd be curious about a floor plan of the house. Some of these are a warren of unusually shaped rooms which are counter to today's trend of open floor plans. They can require creativity in furnishing or expensive remodeling. It certainly will get an above average price for the neighborhood, hopefully for the seller it will be someone who falls head over heels for it.. Bears watching to see what exactly happens to it.
That's a good point about floor plans. Interestingly, when many people go visit a pretty old house like a Victorian, somehow the residents seem willing tolerate the floor plan for the sake of the house.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
It's just a WEIRD setup. I mean, the only million dollar house surrounded by mid 500k homes. Like, trying to be a big shot or something? LOL
Actually....it reflects Orange County history. Once upon a time, before the developers got to it, OC was rural and agricultural. There's a real good chance that house once stood in the middle of an orange or lemon grove and was built by a farming family. It looks like it might be a Sears kit home that had rooms added on over the years.

I love those old houses. I look at them and remember when the scent of orange blossoms hung in the air.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:10 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Actually....it reflects Orange County history. Once upon a time, before the developers got to it, OC was rural and agricultural. There's a real good chance that house once stood in the middle of an orange or lemon grove and was built by a farming family.

I love those old houses. I look at them and remember when the scent of orange blossoms hung in the air.
This was my first thought as well, built in 1907 this is an old OC farmhouse.

I would buy that in a second.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:12 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Actually....it reflects Orange County history. Once upon a time, before the developers got to it, OC was rural and agricultural. There's a real good chance that house once stood in the middle of an orange or lemon grove and was built by a farming family. It looks like it might be a Sears kit home that had rooms added on over the years.

We are very fortunate to have you on this forum. Do you remember the area around Knotts in Buena Park (as far back as you can remember)?

Old 06-24-2015, 01:24 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
Would I consider it? Yes, if I had the money.

Is it a "crappy" neighborhood? LOL! NOOOOO. Well, of course if you come from South OC... then anything that doesn't look like this is considered crappy.
Quote:

It is a rare, vintage and gorgeous home in Orange County on a very large lot. Too bad that it does seem to be a remnant of an earlier rural era and the surrounding houses are of a completely different context; style, size and era.

Our late, (they each lived to 96, died at home and were never bedridden nor had home care!) delightful neighbors, sisters who grew up in a Craftsman farmhouse like that in rural Orange County in the '20s and '30s and we're amongst the first women to graduate from U.C.L.A, used to have a treasure trove of pictures that we looked at with wonder- imagining what it must have been like- showing the acres and acres of groves and fields that represented that era.

It looks very much like one of the larger homes in our neighborhood down here but they are all surrounded by other, similar homes so the context is much more settled, stable and therefore desirable.

Those South O.C. tract homes so desired by many up there are just crap and represent everything I intensely dislike about O.C.- and similar areas down here.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
We are very fortunate to have you on this forum. Do you remember the area around Knotts in Buena Park (as far back as you can remember)?
Yep. I'm a native of OC and a Boomer. There are several of us on CD.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:45 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Yep. I'm a native of OC and a Boomer. There are several of us on CD.
Yep, we remember what it was and know what it has become.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:07 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmfan View Post

It doesn't take an analyst to tell you OC homes are overpriced, even the "luxury" homes This 1.2 million dollar home in GG would be about $400k in almost every other state.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:09 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yep, we remember what it was and know what it has become.
Funny thing I remember the lot behind Knotts. The guy flat out would never sell. I guess he and Mr Knotts had a feud. After he died the kids sold the lot.
I remember going through Irvine and you got past John Wayne airport there was nothing out there but a few shops some houses etc. it was considered rural
I remember going dirt biking through Silverado and Teabuco canyons and there were no houses there. Same with San Clemente.
Eventually they will build into the canyons too. As more and more people want to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County