Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 01:29 PM

129 posts, read 231,689 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Me and my husband would love to move to California in the future. We wouldn't want to spend more than 350k since we don't want to borrow more than we can afford to pay. I know it isn't a lot for California, but it is difficult just starting out. Were still pretty young (I'm 22, he's 23), so we would like a city that is interesting, has fun things to do, good out door activities, nice places to walk or jog, good amenities, malls, movie theaters, ect. We're not into night life, bars, clubs, or that kind of atmosphere. We would also like a city that has low crime/drugs, affordable, is safe, not to hot in the summer, walkable would be a great bonus, good economy and good employment, ect. We don't mind small towns with 100k population or a bit less, but we wouldn't want it to be in the middle of no where (not by a major city and isolated.) Safety is a huge factor for us since we want to have a family in the future. So far we have been looking at Ventura and Camarillo which we like a lot. Especially since they are safe and don't get too warm in the summer. But we would prefer to be closer to San Diego (La Mesa) since I have family there. It's also nice because Orange county is near by LA and San Diego. I have heard Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Lake Forest, Foothill Ranch, and Irvine are nice cities, but I don't know anything about them. I also heard some cities in Orange county are near by a toll road which is something we wouldn't like since it would get very expensive to always pay every day. So please let us know which city you think is right for us even if it's not listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 01:59 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,543,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbolt View Post
Hey everyone,

Me and my husband would love to move to California in the future. We wouldn't want to spend more than 350k since we don't want to borrow more than we can afford to pay. I know it isn't a lot for California, but it is difficult just starting out. Were still pretty young (I'm 22, he's 23), so we would like a city that is interesting, has fun things to do, good out door activities, nice places to walk or jog, good amenities, malls, movie theaters, ect. We're not into night life, bars, clubs, or that kind of atmosphere. We would also like a city that has low crime/drugs, affordable, is safe, not to hot in the summer, walkable would be a great bonus, good economy and good employment, ect. We don't mind small towns with 100k population or a bit less, but we wouldn't want it to be in the middle of no where (not by a major city and isolated.) Safety is a huge factor for us since we want to have a family in the future. So far we have been looking at Ventura and Camarillo which we like a lot. Especially since they are safe and don't get too warm in the summer. But we would prefer to be closer to San Diego (La Mesa) since I have family there. It's also nice because Orange county is near by LA and San Diego. I have heard Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Lake Forest, Foothill Ranch, and Irvine are nice cities, but I don't know anything about them. I also heard some cities in Orange county are near by a toll road which is something we wouldn't like since it would get very expensive to always pay every day. So please let us know which city you think is right for us even if it's not listed.
You can pretty much forget anywhere in OC, sorry. Try Riverside or San Bernardino counties.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:59 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,583,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter14 View Post
You can pretty much forget anywhere in OC, sorry. Try Riverside or San Bernardino counties.
Better yet, try Texas.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:02 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,164,225 times
I bet there are still some condos on OC under 400K.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:08 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,543,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I bet there are still some condos on OC under 400K.
Maybe somewhere like GG or Stanton. Sounds like they want south OC, so its very doubtful but you know the area better.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:14 PM

14,365 posts, read 11,763,754 times
All of the Orange County cities you mentioned fit your criteria more or less, except the affordable one. $350k is on the very low end to buy anything. You could get a small condo, but when you have children, you'd probably want to move.

But they are all certainly safe, have lots of amenities, outdoor activities, etc. The differences between them are minor--Foothill Ranch is farther from the freeway; Aliso Viejo is closer to the beach; Mission Viejo has a lake, etc. If you don't want it to ever get hot (I'm thinking this might mean 90+), then you need to be right on the beach, which unfortunately I don't think will work with your budget.

Yes, there are some toll roads, which I personally find a great convenience, but you don't have to take them if you don't want to. Plenty of people get around just fine on the regular freeways and surface streets.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:21 PM

129 posts, read 231,689 times
Is there really no affordable places in OC? I can't believe how expensive it is there. I did look at Lake Forest and found some houses there for around the price I was looking for. Does anyone have any information about that area and does anyone know any other places? I don't like Riverside or San Bernardino since they are not only too hot, but also infested with crime and drugs. Same situation as SacramIento unfortunately.

Texas is great, but it is too humid and hot for me. Also a lot of areas are prone to hurricanes and tornadoes. I liked North/South Carolina, but there is to much humidity and natural disasters. I've also looked at Arizona, but it is way to hot. I really did love Prescot and Sedona which weren't too warm, but there are just no job opportunities there and it's too far from a major city.

I also should mention that I'm not 100% set on a certain area. I'm fine moving any where in California as long as it has some things we are looking for. So far one of the most affordable areas I've found are Ventura County. What I meant by too warm is in the 95-100 + temperatures. The weather in Ventura, Oxnard, and Camarillo is even better than I could imagine.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:40 PM

14,365 posts, read 11,763,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbolt View Post
Is there really no affordable places in OC?
Not with your criteria. If you want safe, clean, walkable, fun, good weather, good amenities, good schools, etc., you have to pay for it.

Some areas of Lake Forest are older and/or not so good. Others are very nice. Without knowing the addresses of the houses you were looking at, I don't know what is wrong with them that they are selling for only $350k. Good grief, our 25-year-old "starter" home (3 bedrooms, 1300 square feet) in the nearby city of Rancho Santa Margarita is going for $560k+ right now.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:17 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,700,628 times
Just about all of South County has good schools, safe streets, parks, etc. I live in Aliso Viejo and I know there are no single family homes here in your price range.

Also, there are only about 14 condos in AV listed on Redfin for $350K or less and just four of these have 2 bedrooms.
https://www.redfin.com/city/224/CA/A...6&market=socal

Last edited by pacific2; 07-08-2015 at 03:25 PM..

Old 07-08-2015, 03:23 PM

68 posts, read 101,008 times
You should look into Silverado canyon. Lots of houses for sell there after last year's fire. You may be able to find a deal.

Like this one https://www.redfin.com/CA/Silverado/...6/home/3503719
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County