Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 08:03 PM

6 posts, read 6,916 times

Advertisements

My apartment complex has 400 units, with 400 carports (1 per unit).

On top of that, there are about 230 open spaces. However, subtracting handicap spaces, spaces reserved most of the day for the leasing office and 12 visitor spaces right outside the front gate, that leaves about 208 open spaces unrestricted for residents.

Of the 400 units, 192 of them are two-bedroom units. Assuming they all have more than one vehicle (which is very likely being in Orange County, CA, and not even accounting for the strong likelihood of multiple vehicles registered to the one-bedrooms), it's safe to say most unrestricted open parking is used by residents.

The apartment complex issues guest passes on request, and right now there are only two restrictions: only three passes can be issued in a day per unit, and they only stay active for up to three days until they expire.

Right now, there is no restriction on how many guest passes can be active at any one time within the property.

When I asked the office how many are typically active at a time, one day there were up to 20, and another day there were almost 30.

That might not mean that 20-30 guests are always parked out in the lot (I have requested guest passes for roommate candidates who only stayed 15-30 min.), but having that many passes issued still allows that as a possibility, which I think needs to stop.

Right now the open parking is completely taken by 7:45-8:00pm on weekdays. I have my carport, but I am trying to find a roommate, which is difficult to do if I have to tell them that parking is virtually cut off by 8 (even if we take turns with the carport). Additionally, there is no street parking around; the closest is an uphill walk from the other side of the complex, which is a 15min walk.

I didn't realize how bad the parking situation was when I moved in here.

Back to my question, what would be the acceptable amount of guest parking that should be made available given the details? Personally, I think they should stop altogether, especially since there are 12 visitor spots right outside the front gate that residents are not allowed to use. But if I want to talk with management about changing the policies, I don't want to propose something too unreasonable.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 08:05 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
It would probably be better to find a new complex since most apartment complex policies have been established for a long time, it is highly likely those policies will not change.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
How did you not the know the parking was so difficult? You said you're looking for a roommate, well is this a replacement for someone who move out? What did you do before?

I think you should move as well, no sense having someone move in and they have to worry about parking, they will accuse you of not being up front. Imagine them coming home from work, stopping at the store, have bags of groceries and can't find a place to park, or one close by.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:20 PM

I moved in with the intent of finding a roommate, and have signed a 12 month lease. I should have looked closer myself, but when I signed the reservation agreement I was told that parking was generally available on the other side of the complex. I figured it would be manageable taking turns with the carport, since it's still manageable to pull up to the front for groceries etc. A few weeks in I realized it was not as available as I previously understood it to be. I asked if it ever reached full capacity, they told me it could during the holidays. I'm finding that it's almost every evening by 8:00.

I handled taking turns with one carport previously, but I didn't take into consideration that off-site street parking was still close enough to be manageable. Again, I had the impression that open parking was generally available in the complex even if it was not convenient to my unit.

Now that I'm here, I want to raise the issue of guest passes to see if that might de-congest parking within the complex a bit. Given the details, does it sound rational that guest passes should not be an option within the complex (again, there are already 12 visitor spaces right outside). Maybe they'll do something or maybe not, I just want to see if my case sounds rational.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA92692 View Post
Additionally, there is no street parking around; the closest is an uphill walk from the other side of the complex, which is a 15min walk.
If it's an uphill walk going to and from your apartment, you should definitely move. At some point you'll be needing a sherpa instead of a roommate.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:18 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
better pay for additional parking if they allow it, usually $50/month

Old 08-17-2015, 12:38 PM

Unfortunately they don't. And moving would be an extreme at this point since I just moved in.

On the plus side I'm by a college, so it might be appealing to students even if parking is less than convenient.

To my original question though, is it fair to say that guest passes should be a no-go within the complex? Whether they do anything is one thing, but am I being rational to make that claim?

Old 08-17-2015, 06:34 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Unfortunately they don't. And moving would be an extreme at this point since I just moved in.

On the plus side I'm by a college, so it might be appealing to students even if parking is less than convenient.

To my original question though, is it fair to say that guest passes should be a no-go within the complex? Whether they do anything is one thing, but am I being rational to make that claim?
Maybe I am missing something, but you are dealing with a private company, not a democratic entity; and they assume all risks, expect profits, and make all rules to maximize that profitability while providing a comfortable living environment for "guests."

Remember, just as with a short-term stay hotel, apartment renters, IMHO, are essentially "guests." It's not as if you are a dues-paying homeowner making a proposal to an HOA whose members you elect.

What leverage do you have, especially since vacancies are at an all time low in OC, AND you just moved in?

I would love to be a fly on the wall when you walk in with your proposal for them to change their business.

That's my 2 cents, and maybe others see it another way.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:05 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:

With 400 units do you really think 12 spaces is enough for the residents friends and family to visit? You are placing your needs ahead of everyone else. best bet is to see if you can get a pass for a roommate and he/she does the best they can to find a space. I would NOT ask if you did not state originally when leasing that you wanted a roommate.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:01 PM

I don't see it as placing my needs above everyone else. I have asked around and there is definitely a consensus that parking is difficult. If removal of guest passes de-congested parking, I wouldn't be the only one to benefit from that. Granted people who like bringing guests around would see that in a negative, but again I think accommodation of paying residents should take priority over accommodation of residents' guests. If both could be accommodated great, but if not...

12 spaces seems similar to what I have seen in other complexes. In a smaller complex I stayed previously, there were four guest spots. If they were open, a guest could take it; if not, then that was it. Why? Because accommodating guests was secondary to accommodating people paying to stay there.

A roommate would get a permanent pass, same as I have, but there is only one carport and open parking.

As far as leverage, i just see it as a potential to make a community improvement. I don't see it as a real profit to them to issue guest passes unrestricted, especially since they don't charge for them. And given the bad reviews they receive for parking (and they are well aware parking is a problem, just weren't quit upfront with me IMO), they might be open to suggestions. They advertise an openness of communication and a willingness to hear and address concerns. Maybe I can actually put that to the test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County