Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 11:14 PM

3 posts, read 3,161 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am new to this site but need some advice. My daughter is 4 years old has been going to a daycare/preschool for about the last year and a half and there has been no previous problems. After picking her up on Friday the teacher informed me that she did not take a nap. So after leaving i just asked my daughter why she hadn't taken a nap. She said to me that it was because her teacher choked her.( She didnt choke her to the point of not breathing but more like put her hands around her neck. ) But that is what my daughter called it. She said the teacher did this to her because it was nap time and she was talking.... I understand that my daughter wasnt supposed to be talking but she is only 4 and there are other ways of resolving the problem. So my question is..what do i do? Do i confront the teacher. Or just take her out of the daycare? Do you think she had the right to do this? Advice please..

~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 12:33 AM

823 posts, read 1,785,316 times
When my son was in preschool, I hung out at the school quite often so I could watch my son interact with other kids, etc. I got to know the children and teachers very well and saw a lot of wonderful interactions and saw kids who were just troubled. These kids would throw tantrums (loud tantrums) in class and on the playing field. They would hit other kids and hit the teacher. It was always the same boys and while I would go crazy as a teacher, these teachers never lost it. They never even gave a kid a gentle spank on the bottom.

Teachers can only take so much, so when they were tired of dealing with the child, they called the Director who was so patient, yet firm with these troubled kids.

Not so with the Director before her. I was told she was fired after grabbing a child's wrist so hard that it left marks. What??? You should definitely talk to the teacher or the Director to find out what putting her hands around the neck means.

No all of the kids napped in my son's preschool class and it wasn't a problem. Talking at nap time? I'm sure that's common and a simple shhhh should be enough. If they really don't want to nap, let them get up and quietly look at a book or do something else.

Talk to the teacher and find out what happened.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:56 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Talk to the teacher before you go nuclear.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:06 AM

I will go and talk to the teacher today. She goes to an in home Daycare/Preschool so there is no director, just 1 lady and and assistant.

There had never been an issue with napping before and my daughter has never really gotten in serious trouble maybe timeout 5 times in the last 1 1/2 years. She has always told me when she goes in time out and has no trouble telling me what happened. I ask her a lot if everything is going ok? If the teachers are being nice? If they touch or hit her? She has always said that it was fine. But friday she said that she had "choked"her and I just really dont think she is making it up. I asked her to show me exactly what she did. And she did. I told her i will have to talk to the teacher and she would get in trouble and she said okay. She said she wanted me to go talk to her becauae she is scared.

Anyhow i will talk to the teacher and ask I just really dont think that she would admit to doing it if she did. ...right?

Ikl keep you posted....

Old 09-08-2015, 04:31 PM

16 posts, read 22,831 times
Don't let her go back to the same teacher.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:10 PM

So i went and spoke to the teacher. She says she has no idea why should would think that...that maybe she got confused by her being affectionate with the younger kids touching them around the neck area. (The babies) . Sorry but my daughter knows when someone is being nice and when somone is putting their hand around her neck. My daughter will be switching.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:58 PM

823 posts, read 1,785,316 times
Yeah, since this is an in-home daycare, I would switch too. Your daughter sounds like a bright little girl and if she was scared, I would trust what she is telling you. I have never looked into those in-home daycares, but there was one on my street. I paid about $600/month for full-time preschool and it was so worth it.

A family member has his 4 year-old enrolled in preschool at a Catholic church and the price is half what I was paying! Maybe you should look into a licensed preschool where there is accountability and structured learning.

My son had amazing teachers and the Director was awesome. I didn't like his last class, so I asked to have him moved to another class and it made a huge difference. He learned so much.

Good luck with finding a loving, nurturing school for your little one. Kids are just little sponges waiting to absorb things.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:16 PM

192 posts, read 375,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Talk to the teacher before you go nuclear.
Nuclear would be an understatement...more like the Rambo If anyone ever put their hands on my kids, that would probably be the last thing they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County