Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:43 PM

7 posts, read 28,323 times

Advertisements

I have read the various threads, and would like to ask for some insight.
My family (husband, two young kids) are moving from LA to OC.
I am very torn between Newport Beach and Irvine as far as leasing a home.
Does anyone have experience with Newport schools? I have heard that Irvine schools are "best" but overall prefer the setting of NB. I like the idea of the "port" streets that allow walking to elementary school.

As far as family, schools, what would be best?
I have never lived in OC before.
Much thanks for any thoughtful advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 10:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Irvine is competitive. There are great schools in Fountain Valley, Tustin and Huntington Beach. Think Irvine is way overrated

Old 02-04-2016, 10:50 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,534 times
Irvine is primarily upper middle class asian families. This leads to schools there being extremely competitive. Be that as it may, white families have been pulling there kids out of these schools because of how intense it has been getting. Whether that is a good or bad thing is up to you.

The New White Flight - WSJ

Old 02-05-2016, 01:57 AM

Thank you. That has been what I have been concerned about. While education is very important, I want my kids to have a positive experience were they love going to school. We tentatively found a home in turtle rock, but the demographics and mentality at the TR elemtary school give me pause.

Can anyone comment on NB public or private schools? Any neighborhoods in particular better for kids?

Old 02-05-2016, 10:34 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
Here are some links you might find helpful:

1. Newport Beach Schools, 1-25 - Newport Beach, CA | GreatSchools (Private and Public school reviews)

2. //www.city-data.com/forum/orang...-families.html (bowneline's observations from 2011 are still pretty much valid today)

Old 02-05-2016, 11:10 AM

65 posts, read 105,362 times
I have friends who have had their kids in both Irvine and Newport school systems, of varying ages, early elementary through high school.

Based on their anecdotes, my impression is that Irvine schools are very good academically, but can be overly competitive. Actually, if your kids are not Asian, they'll probably have a better chance of standing out from the competition at the high school level. On the other hand, I know multiple families who have had their kids in the irvine publics, ultimately found the teaching was not so great as hyped, and switched to private for more acceleration and customization of education.

The anecdotal impression I got from friends is that Newport schools are good but easier. Con was there is a lot more social pressure to fit in with the rich kids especially at the middle and high school level. But if you can afford the port streets, then maybe the financial aspect of fitting in won't be an issue.

We were deciding between Irvine/Newport for a long time too, and ultimately decided on Tustin Ranch section of Tustin Unified School district. Very strong academically, a little more ethnically diverse and more "balanced"

If you're willing to look at privates, I have had friends say good things about Pegasus in Huntington Beach, Fairmont Private Schools (multiple campuses) and St. Margaret's Episcopal in South County.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:47 AM

908 posts, read 1,302,670 times
I'd take Newport over Irvine. Newport has solid public schools, is very safe like Irvine, has a great shopping center as well as some good restaurants, and is next to the ocean. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

The Port streets area is great for families with a very good elementary school nearby.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:56 PM

Thank you all for very helpful suggestions, we will look at the port streets this weekend!

Old 02-05-2016, 06:28 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAexplant View Post
Thank you all for very helpful suggestions, we will look at the port streets this weekend!
If you can afford it, your kids will love living in Newport Beach and all it has to offer. It is far better than Irvine, where you have to drive through a lot of traffic to get to a beach and in Newport you can walk to a LOT of beach and bay areas. I lived in Costa Mesa as a youth and walked to Newport every day during Summer and spent most of my time there. It is not a common experience and your kids will love having lived there, even if just for s few years.I would rather walk to the beach and drive to a Mall than live close to a Mall, but drive to the beach.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:04 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Irvine is primarily upper middle class asian families. This leads to schools there being extremely competitive. Be that as it may, white families have been pulling there kids out of these schools because of how intense it has been getting. Whether that is a good or bad thing is up to you.

The New White Flight - WSJ
VERY interesting article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County