Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 12:17 PM

5 posts, read 6,971 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm looking for a one bedroom in the Santa Ana, Costa Mesa, Irivne, or Lake Forest area. When I search apartments on craigslist, all the apartments have such horrible reviews online that it's scaring me. Regardless of price, every complex has around 2 stars at best. Are apartments in the area that bad, or am I looking in the wrong places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 12:19 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
How much are you willing to spend. The Irvine company charges a lot of money, but the one I stayed at was very nice, almost a resort like.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:37 PM

160 posts, read 148,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbowtie1 View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking for a one bedroom in the Santa Ana, Costa Mesa, Irivne, or Lake Forest area. When I search apartments on craigslist, all the apartments have such horrible reviews online that it's scaring me. Regardless of price, every complex has around 2 stars at best. Are apartments in the area that bad, or am I looking in the wrong places?
Rarely do people write reviews saying they like an apartment. However, if they have a bad experience they are more than happy to complain.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:52 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbowtie1 View Post
Hi all,

You should physically visit, speak to some of the residents and observe the neighborhoods around the Apts. That is far better than online reviews.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:19 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Those reviews are sometimes helpful, but I suggest a visit.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:59 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times
I would imagine that a large percentage of OC apartment dwellers are simply angry disgruntled renters that resent the double sting of A) being priced out of ownership and B) are getting reamed on the back side too by getting gouged for rent...on an apartment...that almost anywhere else in the country or even just a few years ago IN SoCal....would've more than covered a mortgage payment.

It's one of the few expressive outlets they have,

Old 02-12-2016, 10:38 AM

5 posts, read 6,971 times
Thanks for the great feedback guys. I've started looking at the Irvine Company apartments and although a 1 bedroom is going to run about $1700, at least the reviews seem slightly better than other apartments that are only $100-300 cheaper but seem much older and also have worse reviews.

I totally agree about taking yelp reviews with a grain of salt, but I would have at least expected some balance with a good review or two sprinkled in!

It's not cheap living in OC

Old 02-12-2016, 11:20 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,652 times
Yeah, OC is not a cheap place to live. A few years ago my friend had a Junior 1-bedroom in Irvine a $1250/mo, now you're lucky to find anything under $1700.

You might also want to check padmapper, apartments.com, and zillow for available rentals if you haven't already.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:36 AM

17 posts, read 20,303 times
OC is not cheap, but I love living here! There are a couple of rental listings I saw on the MLS, I dont think I am able to post links here. Here is one I saw in Santa Ana for $1,600, you'll have to search the MLS ID# in google : PW16017943

I most definitely suggest driving the areas you want to live, to see what the area is like, the noise activity, if it is close to restaurants or grocery stores. The last thing you want is to find a nice apartment super far from everything.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:37 AM

123 posts, read 233,382 times
I lived in Sienna Terrace in Lake Forest for 2 years, paid about $1600/month for a 2 bedroom. Once in a while ants invaded our apartment or someone dumped bubble bath in the hot tub at one of their two pools. But overall it was a quiet and nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County