Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 07:33 PM

113 posts, read 895,074 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get my first apartment in Henderson, Nevada. I've already looked at what I can afford ($600-$700/monthly), and have took to the internet to learn more about the quality of the apartment complexes, because I'm currently in California.

The thing is, virtually every apartment complex that I look at has negative reviews. If they're not complaining about crime, or crappy landlords who don't do anything to fix your broken down appliances, they are complaining about roaches, mold, ext.

I've probably looked at about 100 apartment complexes online (by searching reviews at multiple websites), and only ONE has good reviews.

I'm waiting until June to visit Henderson to look at them, because I plan to move in somewhere on July.

Are the apartments really as crappy as people say they are? Why? is it because they're cheap?

I also noticed that most of the problems people report having, could have been avoided if they did what they were suppose to - which is do a walk-in inspection.

This is just frustrating, because it feels I'm going to be miserable when I move out. Any advice will be helpful and appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 08:14 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
I feel the same way. I'm in southern CA & plan to stay in the city I'm in now & move to my 1st apt this summer. I live in a safe, beautiful. city, but the reviews of the apt complexes in this same city makes it sound like I'm in the ghetto or something & the rent's still pretty high (usually $1100-1415/mo). In my high cost of living area, if the rent's too cheap ($950-1110), just anyone can afford it & what do you get...? People w/ no regard to others, partying, being loud & rowdy, leaving trash all over,etc. Otherwise, the rent's too high & not worth it for the small square footage space you get. The latest complex that was built in my area has a 1 bed/1 bath, 920 sq ft place that's $1610/mo!

I've visited about 15 complexes & don't need to see much more because I've started looking this past December & have it narrowed down to about 2-3 complexes. But, the rent changes daily, so I have to try to catch it while it's LOW!

Good luck to you in your hunt as well.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:32 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
Think about it. Who is more willing to post online? A disgruntled angry tenant or a completely satisfied one? Rarely anyone who is happy will go online to post about it. Take them with a huge grain of salt. If a complex only has a few bad reviews in a few years and has quite a few units I'd say they are doin well. Go visit in person and take the Internet reviews lightly.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:11 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Exactly as stated above. It's human nature!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:19 AM

241 posts, read 792,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
In my high cost of living area, if the rent's too cheap ($950-1110), just anyone can afford it & what do you get...? People w/ no regard to others, partying, being loud & rowdy, leaving trash all over,etc.
I have seen a lot of similar thoughts in this forum, and others concerning renting. I am so tired of people equating lower income people to trashy, loud, disrespectful, etc. People come in all sizes, shapes, colors, and financial levels. Sometimes I wonder how many of the people who do this have ancestors that struggled financially so that in the end their children and grandchildren could be better off. Just because a person is not at your financial level does not make them a lesser person than you. It just makes you a snob

I realize this may get bumped, but I'll take my chances.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:27 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
I'm convinced 95% of apartment reviews are posted by competing complexes.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraydnerv View Post
I have seen a lot of similar thoughts in this forum, and others concerning renting. I am so tired of people equating lower income people to trashy, loud, disrespectful, etc. People come in all sizes, shapes, colors, and financial levels. Sometimes I wonder how many of the people who do this have ancestors that struggled financially so that in the end their children and grandchildren could be better off. Just because a person is not at your financial level does not make them a lesser person than you. It just makes you a snob

I realize this may get bumped, but I'll take my chances.
I'm not saying that even people w/ good jobs, making good money can't be rowdy litterbugs, but people who pay higher rent tend to want to keep their environment nicely kept up.

So then please explain to me why in my area where they just built a complex that's not even up in the nice mountains or anything and there's only views of the backs of the mini shopping plazas that are all around it and the units are squished together like sardines yet for the cheapest unit, which is a pretty basic 1 bedroom, 1 bath, the rent is $1610/mo, which is outrageous & the highest rent of any other rental complexes in my city for a 1 bd/1 ba? It's because it's brand new & they want to at least attempt to keep out the riff-raff. So once you add the basic bills, etc. onto that, you're looking at $2100+/mo. Well, not just anyone will be able to afford that & even if they could, they may not want a basic 1 bedroom/1 bath rental. The only thing is it's a brand new complex, but certainly NOT worth that price. It's probably because the complex read the other negative reviews at other complexes & jacked the rent up even higher so only certain people w/ excellent jobs can rent there. But then there could also be the group of 4 college roommates who will split the rent, but they'll need a lot bigger than a 1 bedroom, in which the rent is a minimum of $2530/mo for a 4 bedroom unit.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:48 PM

681 posts, read 2,799,841 times
I think apartment hunters need to do their own research by physically going to the place they are looking to rent rather than reading reviews online.

Now before anyone says "how can you know in a short 15 minute tour if the complex is right for you", you need to go beyond the 15 minute tour. Just because the viewing of the unit is over, it doesn't mean you can't hang out for a longer time. When viewing a property, if I liked the units I was shown, I would hang around the builing lobby, community common areas, or fitness center/pool area and I would ask the actual residents their thoughts about the property, managers, other residents, ammenities in and around the community. You would get your best reviews this way. Secondly, I would visit the property again in the evening time ... not only are more people usually home and you can get more reviews, but you can also get a sense of how the community will be when you will most likely be home ... is it noisy? Is it too quiet? Is the surroundings brightly lit, or are they dark thus decreasing your sense of security.

It amazes me sometimes how many people formulate their own opinions based on maybe 10 minutes of research online and reading negative reviews for a place that they may end up living in for a year or more.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:35 AM

I know I plan to drive in & around an apt complex during the peak time when everyone gets home from work, which is around 6:00 - 7:30pm on a weekday or two to get an idea of how busy it gets. It's also good to check things out on Friday & Sat nights when people tend to have parties & unwind to see how loud & rowdy it gets. Make notes of what you see.

Hey, I'm a huge planner. In another thread onthis board, I'm the one who even thought of bringing a blacklight when checking out the inside of the units...along w/ a camera of course. Turn on faucets, showers, etc. too.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:54 AM

113 posts, read 895,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I know I plan to drive in & around an apt complex during the peak time when everyone gets home from work, which is around 6:00 - 7:30pm on a weekday or two to get an idea of how busy it gets. It's also good to check things out on Friday & Sat nights when people tend to have parties & unwind to see how loud & rowdy it gets. Make notes of what you see.

Hey, I'm a huge planner. In another thread onthis board, I'm the one who even thought of bringing a blacklight when checking out the inside of the units...along w/ a camera of course. Turn on faucets, showers, etc. too.
haha I remember reading about that. My thoughts were, whoa this guy is really sensitive. The problem with testing out appliances is that sometimes water and electricity aren't turned on when you inspect the unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting