Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,019 times

Advertisements

Hi!
We will be moving to the area from BC, Canada. We have 3 kids - 11, 14, and 16 (and 3 dogs) and want to find an area with other kids and lots of stuff for them to do. The kids are very active - soccer, softball, rock climbing, track and field, etc. The schools all seem to be pretty good and the areas are nice - from an outsiders perspective. We are looking for a home between $900K - $1million. We found homes we like in Mission Viejo, Laguna Hills and San Juan Capistrano but want to get some inside info. We are looking for something close to activities for the kids and family- friendly. Must be easy to get around and no mello roos.

Should we rule one out over the other? Why is one better? Is there something we are missing? We haven't lived or really visited there so we are wide open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 04:33 PM

23 posts, read 28,624 times
MV is on one side of the freeway, LH is on the other, SJC is south of both. Otherwise not much difference between the 3.

Lots of activities for the kiddos.

Although I find getting around MV and LH much easier than SJC. (More side streets as options to get around traffic).

Old 09-20-2016, 10:13 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel and Aliso Viejo, west of the 5 Freeway would be my first picks, then Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Ladera Ranch and Rancho Santa Margarita on the east side of the 5.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:51 AM

92 posts, read 134,201 times
I'd look at the areas and see what you think. They would all be suitable. But sometimes there's specific things you would like if you looked. I chose RSM, although similar to other suburbia, my neighborhood backs up to federal owned national forest land. Of course a forest in southern CA is different than one in BC, but I've loved hiking the canyons and trails and having it close by. I'd say let your heart get involved a little too, and you can do that by looking.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:49 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Both Aliso Viejo and Rancho Santa Margarita ranked high on this list, but you'd actually be fine just about anyplace in South County. Also, South County cities are close to one another that people commonly shop, dine, etc. in neighboring communities all the time.

3 California Cities Make Family Friendly Top 20
Posted on September 21, 2016
http://www.kabc.com/2016/09/21/3-cal...iendly-top-20/

Two cities in Orange County and one in l-a county made it on to Wallethub’s top 20 Best California municipalities in which to raise a family …. Aliso Viejo ranked sixth out of 240 cities …. Manhattan Beach came in at 11th place … and Rancho Santa Margarita placed 13th. The rankings were based on such categories as “family life and fun” … “education, health and safety” … “affordability” … and “socioeconomic environment.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:15 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Almost anything built in south OC after 1990 is going to have mello roos--which means many, many houses you will see have them. Saying you will not accept a mello roos tax is really going to limit your search to the oldest homes in the area. Mello roos are a flat tax, not based on the price of the house, and they eventually go away. For instance, some developments in my city of Rancho Santa Margarita have already lost their mello roos, and mine will expire in 2019.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:03 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Regarding Mello-Roos, it was announced about two years ago that many of us would no longer have to pay it after 09/16:
School district tax to end for thousands in Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo - The Orange County Register

Also, the OC Auditor-Controller sent a letter out in August, 2016, to homeowners in 9 Community Facilities Districts (CFDs), informing us that the bonds for these districts had been paid in full several years ago. The CFDs are being dissolved.

Homeowners in each of the nine districts below may receive a one time credit on the 2016-2017 tax bill:
  • 86-2 Rancho Santa Margarita
  • 87-1 Dimension Business Park
  • 87-2 Portola Hills
  • 87-3 Mission Viejo
  • 87-6 Baker Ranch
  • 87-7 Los Alisos
  • 87-9 Santa Teresita
  • 88-1 Aliso Viejo
  • 88-2 Lomas Laguna
Nevertheless, some developments, both new and old, still have special assessments. You can easily check them out by entering the address at the OC Tax Assessor's site:

County of Orange - Treasurer-Tax Collector
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County