Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,935 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from a small city in Illinois to southern California for a job in June. I could be moving to different job locations from Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, and Long Beach area. What advice can you give me for the move. I plan on only taking my motorcycle with me for transportation. I am hoping for a nice safe 1 br. for a little over $1000. I'm 23 single and have never lived outside of Illinois though I have visited California twice in the last year and loved what I saw, especially the 60 degree weather in January. What areas would you suggest I live in? I have plenty more questions but this is a start.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 01:40 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois2Cold View Post
I will be moving from a small city in Illinois to southern California for a job in June. I could be moving to different job locations from Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, and Long Beach area. What advice can you give me for the move. I plan on only taking my motorcycle with me for transportation. I am hoping for a nice safe 1 br. for a little over $1000. I'm 23 single and have never lived outside of Illinois though I have visited California twice in the last year and loved what I saw, especially the 60 degree weather in January. What areas would you suggest I live in? I have plenty more questions but this is a start.

Thanks,
Does the company you will be working for start with a B and end with a g? (If so, in a way I envy you: 23, single, good job, Southern California.)

Do a search on "single" and rent and apartment and those cities above you mentioned. There are tons of previous posts like yours. I think you will be fine, you might have to pay a little more per month but you will probably have lots of fun.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:00 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Judging by the cities you're speaking of, it sounds like you're talking about Boeing.. Just be aware that if you are, they are consolidating their presence here. It looks like the primary locations(at least non-commercial airlines related) are going to be in Anaheim and El Segundo. The buildings seem to be staying, but I'm not sure which divisions will be there. All of the Space related items have been going to El Segundo. That said, I've heard part of the Anaheim facilities may relocate to Huntington, but I don't know about that because it hasn't happened yet and corporations drag these things out.

Anyways, a nice area closeby to all of those with affordable prices would be either Los Alamitos, Cypress near Cypress College, or Long Beach near Cal State Long Beach or Long Beach City College. 1000/mo for a 1bed may be had, but typically I see 2beds around here, with the average price of about 1250-1300 or so I think

Old 03-04-2008, 02:20 PM

72 posts, read 261,504 times
$1000, hmmm, try Huntington Beach or Fountain Valley.

I would suggest visiting this website and locate some communities that look interesting, then ask about that specific area. (Apartments, houses for rent, find an apartment, search rental properties - Move.com)

Old 03-04-2008, 02:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Judging by the cities you're speaking of, it sounds like you're talking about Boeing.. Just be aware that if you are, they are consolidating their presence here. It looks like the primary locations(at least non-commercial airlines related) are going to be in Anaheim and El Segundo. The buildings seem to be staying, but I'm not sure which divisions will be there. All of the Space related items have been going to El Segundo. That said, I've heard part of the Anaheim facilities may relocate to Huntington, but I don't know about that because it hasn't happened yet and corporations drag these things out.
Anahiem (The old Autonetics facility North American? Rockwell) is moving to Huntington Beach. Haven't heard a thing otherwise.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:16 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Belmont Shore in Long Beach is a great neighborhood. My wife used to live there before we got married and had a decent sized one bedroom for $850/month and that was only about a year and a half ago.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,935 times
Yea right on with the Boeing guess. I've read through a lot of the similar posts and Belmont Shore seems like a nice area. Do you think I will be ok with just a motorcycle there, I don't mind riding in temps in the 40's so that shouldn't be a problem. How often does it rain there and how hard?

Old 03-04-2008, 03:58 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
40s only hit less than i'd say 30-40 days a year during the middle of a cloudless/dry night. motorcycle would be perfect for belmont shore because parking and vehicular traffic is obsurd there(its like a small town downtown main street). it would also make any freeway commute MUCH easier during rush hour.

rain is rare. we get a few inches a year(maybe 10?) and most of it is at night

Old 03-04-2008, 04:41 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
I actually do all my commuting by Vespa, and although its been rainy more than usual lately, you will be fine. However, you will need a plan b for when it does rain. Luckily for me, I can take the bus, but you may want to consider this when choosing your future residence.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:47 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,417 times
Young and single - definitely go with Belmont!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County