Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 11:55 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,149,143 times

Advertisements

That would connect to the trolley systems in Dana Point and Laguna Beach with the Metrolink station.

Trolley system may be coming to Laguna Niguel - The Orange County Register
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 10:23 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
If the trolley system is implemented, Laguna Niguel would join other south Orange County cities such as San Juan Capistrano to offer alternative ways of getting around town. The city could receive up to $550,000 per year for seven years to fund the project.

Councilman John Mark Jennings said one goal of the project would be to connect residents in the Gateway District near Crown Valley Parkway and I-5 near the future retail and residential Agora development near City Hall.

“Having free ridership would certainly get people out of their houses to go try it a few times,” Jennings said.
There is nothing free. Someone is paying by raised taxes or subsidizing the cost. Seems to me that "free" comes with a minimum price tag of $550,000 a year for about 7 years to fund. Then operating costs considering by that time the trollies will need some overhauling/repair or replacement. But yeah free sounds good....

Old 03-11-2017, 11:11 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,692,443 times
Somewhere down the line, taxpayers are footing the bill. If and when that spigot is turned off, Laguna Niguel residents will probably have to take over maintenance/replacement costs.

I think Aliso may have considered a trolley years ago to loop around town center, but the idea was scrapped.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:35 AM

BTW, I actually like the idea of a trolley, but Laguna Niguel should be prepared for that $550,000 per year price tag to increase with inflation; and the city may have to pay it.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
BTW, I actually like the idea of a trolley, but Laguna Niguel should be prepared for that $550,000 per year price tag to increase with inflation; and the city may have to pay it.
I think the real intent is to get people to our new downtown, once completed, since it will have entertainment, lots of restaurants, art studios, etc. by siphoning off any percentage of tourists we can from neighboring DP and LB -- visitors who would completely overlook the area otherwise. The second aim, I suspect, is to get them linked to the Metrolink so the city can leverage what it has and benefit from the Greater LA's population that is willing to come down using that mode of transportation.

Our city's finances are second to none.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
There is nothing free. Someone is paying by raised taxes or subsidizing the cost. Seems to me that "free" comes with a minimum price tag of $550,000 a year for about 7 years to fund. Then operating costs considering by that time the trollies will need some overhauling/repair or replacement. But yeah free sounds good....
I think we can manage. Check out our finances on line. I support this trolley if it could lead to our getting many more restaurants, art centers/studios and entertainment in our new downtown and siphoning a little tourism from our neighbors.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I think the real intent is to get people to our new downtown, once completed, since it will have entertainment, lots of restaurants, art studios, etc. by siphoning off any percentage of tourists we can from neighboring DP and LB -- visitors who would completely overlook the area otherwise. The second aim, I suspect, is to get them linked to the Metrolink so the city can leverage what it has and benefit from the Greater LA's population that is willing to come down using that mode of transportation.

Our city's finances are second to none.

I never questioned Laguna Niguel's financial stability.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I think we can manage. Check out our finances on line. I support this trolley if it could lead to our getting many more restaurants, art centers/studios and entertainment in our new downtown and siphoning a little tourism from our neighbors.
It's not a matter of having the funds now while you're subsidized. It's the later when you aren't that's a issue. Either way I don't live in Laguna so it makes no difference to me. I hope you get enough revenue to justify the cost. Because costs have a way of going up over the years. And remember that you may not get all the businesses to come there.
Anyway just something to mull over.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:25 AM

111 posts, read 159,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I never questioned Laguna Niguel's financial stability.
Let them do what they please, I've never seen these transit systems be cost effective in the long run. Fortunately, some south OC cities are still fiscally conservative and prioritize transpotation projects for the personal automobile, such as San Clemente and the new mayor. A lot of Laguna Niguel's infrastructure is in horrible shape, especially Crown Valley Pkwy near I5 which needs further widening, medians, and streetlights. With Mission Hospital on the other side of I5, the gridlock is a public safety issue, more important to address than any trolley and transit issues !

Old 03-12-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a333 View Post
Let them do what they please, I've never seen these transit systems be cost effective in the long run. Fortunately, some south OC cities are still fiscally conservative and prioritize transpotation projects for the personal automobile, such as San Clemente and the new mayor. A lot of Laguna Niguel's infrastructure is in horrible shape, especially Crown Valley Pkwy near I5 which needs further widening, medians, and streetlights. With Mission Hospital on the other side of I5, the gridlock is a public safety issue, more important to address than any trolley and transit issues !

Horrible shape? Crown Valley in that area was just widened two years ago. Everything is all new.

San Clemente has much tighter finances than Laguna Niguel. What are you talking about?

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 03-12-2017 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County