Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2020, 12:34 PM

48 posts, read 78,027 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I need to move out of my condo into something bigger. Will be working from home right now and have narrowed it down to 2 areas (Mission Viejo, El Toro and Marguerite) or Serrano Heights area in Orange. I like both in each way but which is a better area from a resale value standpoint down the line? Mission Viejo seems like it is a good area but it seems a little too far from main OC. The other thing is it seems so saturated with homes as well.

Which one would be a safer investment in long term?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 01:04 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
I'm not familiar with Serrano Heights, but very familiar with Mission Viejo and the surrounds.

The intersection of El Toro / Marguerite is basically at a point where Mission Viejo and Lake Forest meet, and Rancho Santa Margarita is close by. Actually, I believe right there you are in Lake Forest, not Mission Viejo. Maybe it's right at the border, I'm not sure. Anyway, it is right by the massive Saddleback Church. Mission Viejo and neighboring Rancho Santa Margarita are very popular with families (Lake Forest not quite so much), so houses and condos sell fast; I don't imagine that resale value will go down. We've been in RSM for 23 years and other than the expected dip around 2008, it's only gone up.

The rest of OC is readily accessible via the 241 toll road but you're correct that this area is away from the center. I and many others consider that a plus, actually. I grew up in the north central part of OC and vastly prefer my current area. It's cleaner, safer, maintained better, and closer to nature. Everything you need on a daily basis is here and amenities such as the beach, performing arts center, sports stadiums, etc., are within a 30 minute drive.

But if you are looking for a place with "character" (walkable downtown-like area with cafes and bars, older housing stock, and more vibrant singles scene) this is not the place for you. It's pretty quiet.

Old 12-05-2020, 06:03 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,298,238 times
Serrano Heights is nice, but I'd worry about fire danger. El Toro Rd & Marguerite Pkwy probably has the better resale value too.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:17 PM

12,818 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm not familiar with Serrano Heights, but very familiar with Mission Viejo and the surrounds.

The intersection of El Toro / Marguerite is basically at a point where Mission Viejo and Lake Forest meet, and Rancho Santa Margarita is close by. Actually, I believe right there you are in Lake Forest, not Mission Viejo. Maybe it's right at the border, I'm not sure. Anyway, it is right by the massive Saddleback Church. Mission Viejo and neighboring Rancho Santa Margarita are very popular with families (Lake Forest not quite so much), so houses and condos sell fast; I don't imagine that resale value will go down. We've been in RSM for 23 years and other than the expected dip around 2008, it's only gone up.

The rest of OC is readily accessible via the 241 toll road but you're correct that this area is away from the center. I and many others consider that a plus, actually. I grew up in the north central part of OC and vastly prefer my current area. It's cleaner, safer, maintained better, and closer to nature. Everything you need on a daily basis is here and amenities such as the beach, performing arts center, sports stadiums, etc., are within a 30 minute drive.

But if you are looking for a place with "character" (walkable downtown-like area with cafes and bars, older housing stock, and more vibrant singles scene) this is not the place for you. It's pretty quiet.
I consider it a plus as well. Much quieter, and you really have to have a reason to find my neighborhood. Also Irvine is small enough to where driving anywhere isn't a big deal. I live out by 241. Love it.

Old 12-10-2020, 10:49 AM

283 posts, read 625,802 times
Serrano Heights looks to be under the flight path
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County