Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 05:59 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
the first floor is for a visitor. the 2nd floor is the dining/great room and the third floor is where the owners retire/sleep/change clothes that's why they put the washers there. would you prefer the washers to be on the ground floor? and carry your soiled clothes from the 3rd to the ground floor?
How about they put them on the second floor and split the difference??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
My bedroom is on the second floor. My laundry is in the garage. Yet, I have somehow survived.
Me too but it's still a pain in the ass to haul laundry up stairs even worse 2 flights. What about handicapped people? Are they not allowed in Irvine??

Old 08-15-2017, 06:40 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Nothing. Nothing at all.

OC has the highest rate of people entrenching themselves in their homes by remodeling in all of So Cal.
Many people are simply not leaving OC, and won't.

The ‘forever’ home: Why more people in Southern California aren’t selling their homes.

"Aging baby boomers also are choosing to live out their days in their existing homes, keeping them off the market."

There are many reasons for this:

Inheritance/maintenance by said future owners
Prop 13/tax consequences
Demographics
Rising interest rates
No place else to go; and
Obviously, OC offers a high QOL

It's not just an OC or a California issue, it's nationwide.
Yep I have seen a couple of articles indicating housing inventory is at a 20 year low.

Smart people. Why sell if you are in a place you like?

Old 08-15-2017, 06:42 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,639,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Me too but it's still a pain in the ass to haul laundry up stairs even worse 2 flights. What about handicapped people? Are they not allowed in Irvine??
You are no longer shifting the goal post. you are shifting the whole field. We have gone to handicapped people. I don't even know how to respond to this.

Yes, every single house in America should be a single story house that takes as much surface area as humanly possible. It should be as far from your neighbors as practical, because land and privacy, right. Also, why that way you never run the risk of having to talk to another human. If all houses in America could be single story houses with 5 acres of space between you and your neighbor that would be ideal.

It goes without saying that there should be nothing within walking distance, because that way you can't show off your new wheels.

And before you counter with something along the lines of "well then you shouldn't live in Irvine", obviously people don't mind that lifestyle, since those town homes are built and there is demand for them.

I really don't understand what reaction you are going for here. That 3 story town homes are the 4th circle of hell? That the developers should destroy 10 town homes and replace them with 2 SFRs with pools?

All I said is that just because there are three floors, you won't die from exertion. In fact, you might live longer.

I have been countered with non-sequitur such as "what about old people" and "what about handicapped people". What exactly about them? We should never build a house with stairs ever again? I am really confused by this line of questioning.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:32 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
My bedroom is on the second floor. My laundry is in the garage. Yet, I have somehow survived.
Me, too. It's built-in exercise. Helps keep me trim and fit.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
You are no longer shifting the goal post. you are shifting the whole field. We have gone to handicapped people. I don't even know how to respond to this.

Yes, every single house in America should be a single story house that takes as much surface area as humanly possible. It should be as far from your neighbors as practical, because land and privacy, right. Also, why that way you never run the risk of having to talk to another human. If all houses in America could be single story houses with 5 acres of space between you and your neighbor that would be ideal.

It goes without saying that there should be nothing within walking distance, because that way you can't show off your new wheels.

And before you counter with something along the lines of "well then you shouldn't live in Irvine", obviously people don't mind that lifestyle, since those town homes are built and there is demand for them.

I really don't understand what reaction you are going for here. That 3 story town homes are the 4th circle of hell? That the developers should destroy 10 town homes and replace them with 2 SFRs with pools?

All I said is that just because there are three floors, you won't die from exertion. In fact, you might live longer.

I have been countered with non-sequitur such as "what about old people" and "what about handicapped people". What exactly about them? We should never build a house with stairs ever again? I am really confused by this line of questioning.
I'm just stating things I saw in the model homes. It would have been nice to see one singe story model in that whole tract of homes but it's no skin off my back. Walk your 3 stories in a box with a view of a wall all day I couldn't care less. What blew my mind is people paying over a million to live like that.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:32 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,989,092 times
Quote:

I really don't understand what reaction you are going for here. That 3 story town homes are the 4th circle of hell?
I don't know what reaction he is going for, but personally as someone who owns multiple investment properties, and has a circle of friends who also own numerous properties, we have found that 3 story townhomes/condos are exceedingly more difficult to rent to potential tenants even in prime areas. We're talking twice as long on market because of how undesirable they are to people.

Just be honest with yourself. Money NO question. Would you spend the same money on your 3 story townhome or a 2 story SFR? We both know the answer to that. 3 story townhomes are usually purchased as a compromise due to their pricing category (more affordable but less convenient).

I have no doubt that you have stronger calves and better cardio living in a 3 story home, but you have to realize the majority of Americans do not find the same benefit you do living in a 3 story home. They like having their laundry on the second floor next to the bedrooms, they like not having a first floor "visiting area", and just having the living/family/kitchen all on one level. In fact many of them see 3 story homes and their layouts as major burdens and tend to avoid them "if they can".

Last edited by CaliRestoration; 08-16-2017 at 09:52 AM..

Old 08-16-2017, 09:53 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post

Just be honest with yourself. Money NO question. Would you spend the same money on your 3 story townhome or a 2 story SFR? We both know the answer to that. 3 story townhomes are usually purchased as a compromise due to their pricing category (more affordable but less convenient).

I have no doubt that you have stronger calves and better cardio living in a 3 story home, but you have to realize the majority of Americans do not find the same benefit you do living in a 3 story home. In fact many of them see 3 story homes and their layouts as major burdens and tend to avoid them "if they can".
I don't roam around Irvine but these 3-story condos I think are built with millenials, young families in mind and who want to walk to shop, dine, drink and work. a friend had this condo when he was still single. now that he is married with 2 kids, they bought a house in Coto

Old 08-16-2017, 10:01 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I'm just stating things I saw in the model homes. It would have been nice to see one singe story model in that whole tract of homes but it's no skin off my back. Walk your 3 stories in a box with a view of a wall all day I couldn't care less. What blew my mind is people paying over a million to live like that.
I was looking for a single story or 2-story house with a master bedroom downstairs, very rare. But there is one model in Orchard Hills. Pretty pricey. Almost above $2.5M, and that's if you hurry. They might go up to $3M the next phase.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I was looking for a single story or 2-story house with a master bedroom downstairs, very rare. But there is one model in Orchard Hills. Pretty pricey. Almost above $2.5M, and that's if you hurry. They might go up to $3M the next phase.

unbelievable.... but I believe it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County