Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 12:17 AM

4 posts, read 2,890 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I'm an east coast guy taking a trip to SoCal for about a week in late February and early March. I love visiting the area and this will be my third trip, the other two having been in May '15 and September '16. What's the weather typically like in late winter? Also is this a good time to check out the mountains? I loved driving and walking through Angeles and Cleveland national forests. Will there be some snow up there? And how about Death Valley? I'm thinking about taking a day trip out there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 08:52 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,348,303 times
Winter is a great time of year in SoCal, particularly if you will be visiting the inland areas that are too hot in the summer. Definitely recommend the desert areas but would say Death Valley is pretty far for a day trip. Would recommend Joshua Tree National Park and nearby Palm Springs instead. Much closer to LA/OC and many people would say JTree is the better park. The big mountains north of LA may be cold and snowy but if you are looking for temperate hiking the Santa Anas in Orange County are a good choice in the winter. One note: bring a jacket as it can get chilly at times (50s in day and 40s at night). Enjoy your trip!!

Old 10-26-2017, 10:17 AM

371 posts, read 815,853 times
It's generally a nice time to visit, although is still well within window where we get chilly, rainy winter storms.

The "average" day during that period will be sunny, low 70s inland, and upper 60's at the beach. Nights are usually in the 50s.

But, it's also not uncommon to get warm spells (80s) or a chilly blast of winter weather from the north (rainy, 50s during the day).

That is about the time of year when the low elevation areas of the desert (Palm Springs, Death Valley) will start warming up -- with highs in the upper 70s and 80s many days -- with periods of warmer weather (90s). Joshua Tree is a little higher elevation, so will be cooler (upper 60s, or low 70s).

Most years there will still be snow on the ground in the mountain areas, with cool days (40s, 50s) and cold nights (20s, 30s).

I agree with the above, a day trip to Death Valley would be a challenge, as its about 4 hours each way. That being said, I'm a pretty ambitious traveler when I'm on vacation, and I've taken day trips that involve several hours of travel each way, so I won't rule it out for you. If you hit the road at 7am to beat most of the traffic, go there at around 11am, and then started your drive back at 6pm, you could make a long day out of it.

However, I also agree with the above poster, that a day trip to Palm Springs/Joshua Tree would be a good alternative (Palm Springs is about 1.5 hours away from OC). You could even mix in a trip up the tramway to hike around Mt. San Jacinto mountain near Palm Springs. If you hit the road early, you could spend the morning hiking/walking around Joshua Tree, the afternoon crashing a hotel pool in Palm Springs, and then take the tramway up for dinner and some walking around on the mountain at Mt. San Jacinto. It's a pretty ambitious schedule, but would be quite a day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County