Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 01:03 PM

5 posts, read 7,089 times

Advertisements

Given the proposed tax policy coming up in Congress, what's your take on housing (prices, sales, etc.) in Orange County? There is an article in the OC Register that the California Association of Realtors taking out full page ads...

California Realtors attack GOP tax reform’s homeowner provisions – Orange County Register
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 04:35 PM

66 posts, read 70,123 times
There is a lot of finger pointing in all directions along with speculation what the tax law might become. As trash pile Gov. Brown says. "let the freeloaders pay their share"

Old 11-15-2017, 05:28 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother1 View Post
There is a lot of finger pointing in all directions along with speculation what the tax law might become. As trash pile Gov. Brown says. "let the freeloaders pay their share"
The quote was truncated it should include " ...except in CA."

Old 11-16-2017, 12:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Housing is still going to be expensive. Sure it may drop a little bit 30k on a house selling for 750k that you bought for 450k doesn’t matter much

And from what I understand it grandfathers in already purchased homes by x date. So the realtors,banks and brokers brokers are going to panic buyers. So there will be another run on housing Overall in high demand areas it’s not going to stop people from buying. It may stop marginals and fence sitters from buying

And it caps the deductions at 500,000 is my understanding. Any buyer at a million can figure out other ways to deduct other things. Regardless housing isn’t going to get much cheaper. Anyone thinking that all of the sudden houses will drop 40% in costs are delusional. It’s going to take some extra down and help from the seller but I bet there will be a way to get that loan under 500k cap

Last edited by Electrician4you; 11-16-2017 at 12:34 PM..

Old 11-16-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Housing is still going to be expensive. Sure it may drop a little bit 30k on a house selling for 750k that you bought for 450k doesn’t matter much

And from what I understand it grandfathers in already purchased homes by x date. So the realtors,banks and brokers brokers are going to panic buyers. So there will be another run on housing Overall in high demand areas it’s not going to stop people from buying. It may stop marginals and fence sitters from buying

And it caps the deductions at 500,000 is my understanding. Any buyer at a million can figure out other ways to deduct other things. Regardless housing isn’t going to get much cheaper. Anyone thinking that all of the sudden houses will drop 40% in costs are delusional. It’s going to take some extra down and help from the seller but I bet there will be a way to get that loan under 500k cap
Not likely to happen soon and if a crash occurs so will jobs and even the lower prices will be out of range of most. I expect a leveling followed by maybe a 5 to 10% drop at most. Major crash??? Then it will not matter anymore than it did in 2008 for buyers who do not have the money now.

After all why would anyone sell at a loss and right now the number of houses on the market is low. A few might have to, but nothing like 2008. It won't help those hoping for a crash.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Not likely to happen soon and if a crash occurs so will jobs and even the lower prices will be out of range of most. I expect a leveling followed by maybe a 5 to 10% drop at most. Major crash??? Then it will not matter anymore than it did in 2008 for buyers who do not have the money now.

After all why would anyone sell at a loss and right now the number of houses on the market is low. A few might have to, but nothing like 2008. It won't help those hoping for a crash.

I doubt it would be 5%. It might slow down buying but since there isn’t much to buy out there there isn’t much to slow down. And people will figure out loopholes. Then someone somewhere is gonna cry not fair wwhaaaahhhh

Old 11-16-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I doubt it would be 5%. It might slow down buying but since there isn’t much to buy out there there isn’t much to slow down. And people will figure out loopholes. Then someone somewhere is gonna cry not fair wwhaaaahhhh
I have been watching housing prices as listed and as sold and a 5% drop seems normal now. Not every area but most I have been watching in SoCal, OC and SD

Old 11-17-2017, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I have been watching housing prices as listed and as sold and a 5% drop seems normal now. Not every area but most I have been watching in SoCal, OC and SD

That could be simply homeowners overpricing themselves and biting off too much. And traditionally sales slow in the holiday months.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:34 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Repealing tax incentives that help pay for low-cost housing would almost surely exacerbate a desperate housing shortage, which is already stifling job growth:

In Orange County, fear and loathing for the GOP tax bill - LA Times

Old 11-17-2017, 07:15 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Repealing tax incentives that help pay for low-cost housing would almost surely exacerbate a desperate housing shortage, which is already stifling job growth:

In Orange County, fear and loathing for the GOP tax bill - LA Times
This guy mentioned in the above article will be in for another surprise if any of his kids ever plans to get a doctorate: House G.O.P. Tax Writers Take Aim at College Tuition Benefits
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/15/u...=top-news&_r=0

Scott Tullius, 47, who calls himself a libertarian-leaning independent, said deducting thousands of dollars in mortgage interest on his Lake Forest home boosts the tax refund he relies on each year.

“With three kids” — ages 6 to 16 — “there’s things that wouldn’t get done without it,” said Tullius, who works for Irvine’s Office of Emergency Management. “For the working-class person, we’re just making it by week to week, month to month.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County