Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 11:16 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times

Advertisements

If you really want nightlife, LA is for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 01:37 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,057 times
I personally think that Costa Mesa is a good option if you can rent in the right neighborhood.

OC has no core, but it does have a few hubs of nightlife/entertainment/restaurants etc:

Disney/the Platinum triangle (Anaheim/Garden Grove/Orange) - this area is completely tourist oriented to say the least. So unless you're a big fan of everything Disney and national chain restaurants, stay away.

The one plus in my book is that Anaheim arguably has the best brewery scene in OC with Bottle Logic being my favorite brewery in OC period; the new expansion of the Golden Road tasting room right across from Angel's Stadium; Ballast Point opening up in Downtown Disney (2019?); last, but not least Modern Times is under construction with their huge Leisuretown project in Center City.

South Coast + Newport/Mesa - technically two distinct hubs , but they are geographically close enough to each other to feed into each other's energy and growth.

The South Coast area includes the cities of Santa Ana/Costa Mesa/Newport Beach. Here you'll find probably the best shopping in OC, if that's your thing, along with a concentration of entertainment options from theatre/broadway shows, orchestras and venues like the observatory that (despite it's size) attracts a lot of both domestic and international artists. Couple this with hipster friendly restaurants, boutiques, cafes and bars that act as the antithesis to South Coast plaza itself (I'm talking about the Lab, the Camp...and to an extent the OC Mix which is home to Taco Maria and Portola Coffee), you get the closest the county will get with Orange County and cosmopolitan being uttered in the same sentence. Oh, yes...it is also home to Barley Forge, another one of my favorite OC breweries (the Patsy - coconut stout - on nitro is my go to. )

The Newport/Mesa area is the region that connects Costa Mesa and Newport Beach around the end of the 55. Here you'll find one of the largest concentrations of bars in OC, as well as somewhat walkable neighborhoods, trendy restaurants, and one of my favorite coffee shops (Kean Coffee). Right on the edge of the neighborhood you have the Upper Newport Bay nature reserve which is a local treasure, great for short hikes or a nice run.

Other hubs:
Downtown Fullerton (DTF) - nice, but more of a college vibe.

Old Town Orange - more balanced than DTF in terms of old vs. new. It has a small town vibe, and Chapman University adds cultural offerings outside the eclectic mix of bars/restaurants and cafes. (Do check out The Wall - more than 50 craft beers on tap- when you get a chance ). Both DTF and Old Town Orange have the benefit of having an Metrolink/Amtrak station, which is nice if you don't want to drive to LA or San Diego and go be a tourist sans car.

Downtown Santa Ana - basically the hipster version of DTF/Old Town Orange and ditto on the train station . Fun place to visit checkout with a couple great date spots , and the best Dia de Los Muertos evento in OC (Noche de Altares).

Main Street Huntington Beach - don't have much to say here as it isn't my vibe. Having that said there is a Philz coffee shop location at the new Pacific City which is worth checking out. Also, they have a night market on Tuesdays with live music and food vendors.

Laguna Beach - is both a tourist trap and the possibly the most enjoyable place to take a stroll, enjoy a glass of wine and checkout some local galleries in OC. Majestic views, great hiking , good restaurants ...and the highlight of South OC. Unfortunately, this all comes with a high price tag and traffic can be overwhelming when you combine the locals with the high flow of tourists. Outside of Laguna Beach , there isn't really anything else going on in the rest of South OC, unless you are a big nature person which is where this part of the county truly earns high points (and property values).

Now as for you and your partner, if you want the best of both worlds (that is, not commuting long distances to work andnot having to drive far in weekends to do things), the Newport- Mesa and South Coast areas would be my first choice.

I live in Fountain Valley, though not trendy, it is rather safe and I have never felt in danger even when I've taken late night runs at Mile Square Park. Yes, it is definitely a sleepy suburb , but having that said, my husband and I are only a 5 to 10 min drive to many of our favorite spots (Black market Bakery, Habana, Seabirds, Mitsuwa) in the South Coast area. Plenty of good food to grub on in Fountain Valley as well, but as expected not much is opened late. Lastly , I think Fountain Valley, while I wouldn't say "affordable", is a bang for the buck since it gives you proximity to places that have a lot going on without sacrificing safety.

*** I don't know much about golf, but I do know that there is a golf course right in the middle of Mile Square Park here in Fountain Valley called Mile Square Golf Course.

Last edited by RudyOD; 02-07-2018 at 01:45 PM..

Old 03-03-2018, 01:15 PM

585 posts, read 635,398 times
With that budget and work locale, you might take a look at the new apartment communities at the Tustin District / Tustin Legacy.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:18 AM

252 posts, read 423,044 times
Other than Irvine, and Turtle Rock, snoor ) , you should be able to go out socially, and have a good time all over orange county.

I have lived in Orange County from the time I was 15 years old ....and as I got older , around 19, the party light was lit no matter where we were living, and much of those years were spent in Newport Beach, Balboa Island, and Corona Del Mar.....winter only....then moved inland. Anaheim, Tustin, etc, since the summer rents at the beach could get pretty high.

Also, there were plenty of places to go out to when we lived inland, and in Orange County the cities just sort of blend into each other. We just drove to where ever. Did not think much about it.

A compromise as to getting to the beach and work, you will probably going to be effected by rush hour traffic and summer time beach goers. One main thoroughfare we tried to stay clear of was Beach Blvd....

Generally, with some experience, you can find alternate roads to keep your life easy.

Newport Beach, closer to the Irvine Border area, might be a good compromise as well. There are some apts on Jamboree and close to freeway access.

There are some good areas in Costa Mesa, rents a bit easier than closer to the beach. That might be about a 50/50 compromise .

Again, we always found places to go out to, and have had great times over many , many years.

You all sound like your are easy going and positive.

We have never had a problem meeting people, no matter where we lived.

We bring our own aloha, and respect, and positive attitudes...

Not sure where you are moving from , but if you can take some time and drive the areas that you are thinking of, and check out the apartments, could work in your favor. You can find what feels good to you.

Check out driving plans to the beach and to work. Look up on the computer for restaurants, and places that have entertainment. As well as apartments in the areas that you are thinking of. Read YELP .

Old 03-04-2018, 10:45 AM

252 posts, read 423,044 times
young rascals....

Just took a quick look for apts in the newport beach area, and what a pleasant surprise....found a couple that are a short distance from downtown costa mesa and easy drive up to the freeways.

NEWPORT CREST APTS : 949 220 2180 $ about $ 2000.00 per month. You can call it up on the computer and see the photos and get the info, and check the location on the map.

We would like this area as well. Check out YELP.....averages out to 4 plus stars.

There were others listed , but you can do you own research on them.

Just FYI......

Old 03-06-2018, 11:08 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Find a winter rental in Balboa Village.

A great starting point. You will have to move out in May or pay 6x rent, but winter rentals can be pretty affordable.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:34 PM

3 posts, read 1,497 times
Stay as close to Newport, Irvine, maybe some parts of Costa Mesa, and even check out places like laguna Niguel, Dana point, Coto De Caza, and Ladera ranch, oh and Mission Viejo if you want safety. There are cities in between these as well just too many to mention. Born and raised in Laguna Niguel, now I live in Coto De Caza. Great golf close by and low crime. Be careful of other suggestions there are pockets of crime everywhere. Laguna Niguel is close to the beach and even Aliso Viejo. You can travel to the night life! Sorry that’s just my 2 cents and I have lived here almost 40 years so I think it might be worth something. All of my friends travel to Laguna Beach almost every weekend to hit the bars etc then come home yo their quiet neighborhoods!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County