Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 06:11 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,298,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
But the guidelines of the forum are to post to old threads before starting new ones on the same subject
That is true when the top is something like, "what are the best schools". It is NOT true when the topic is specific to the Original Poster, i.e. a 7 month old baby, wanting to spend $700-800k on a house and be near family in Torrance.

TWO YEARS LATER any advice on a "$700-800k house" is completely outdated because the homes mentioned would now be $850k to $960k homes.

Quote:
…so a lot of times they get merged anyway, tho ITA starting your own can be a lot more helpful. AND ppl can go back & read old threads if they want, can’t we? IMO it happens a lot. Edit: especially when it’s a super short forum or thread like this one with a totally open thread title.^^
10 years posting on City-Data I've never seen "moving to XYZ" threads merged because each thread is unique, it isn't the same subject.

Sure, go back and read old posts. Just don't bump them up when the information added will obviously do anything to help the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 08:39 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,571,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

Sure, go back and read old posts. Just don't bump them up when the information added will obviously do anything to help the OP.

I didn’t bump it up….tho sometimes ppl make mistakes or they are interested in reading a thread. I just replied to a comment about Torrance…(even tho it’s not OC)… because I used to live near it so it might be helpful to anybody else reading the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
TWO YEARS LATER any advice on a "$700-800k house" is completely outdated because the homes mentioned would now be $850k to $960k homes.

Ofc home prices go up….but cheaper areas will stay the cheaper areas. They look for other information too….like demographics, commutes, schools & stuff that doesn’t become outdated as fast…AND the thread title didn’t say anything about price. So…ofc a generic thread title like that may lure some ppl in, until they realize it’s a totally different situation, like ours. We want to buy a home in Dana Point..(open to other waterfront towns & neighborhoods in OC too), sell our home in MV & keep the penthouse in S.F. for my husband’s work.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 10-22-2021 at 09:39 AM..

Old 10-22-2021, 03:12 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,298,238 times
Quote:
I didn’t bump it up….
Of course you bumped it up by replying.

Quote:
tho sometimes ppl make mistakes or they are interested in reading a thread. I just replied to a comment about Torrance…(even tho it’s not OC)… because I used to live near it so it might be helpful to anybody else reading the thread.
The OP had ZERO INTEREST in living in Torrance. They wanted a place not too far from it to visit relatives there.

Quote:
Ofc home prices go up….but cheaper areas will stay the cheaper areas. They look for other information too….like demographics, commutes, schools & stuff that doesn’t become outdated as fast…AND the thread title didn’t say anything about price..
The thread said, very clearly:

"Requirements:~700-800K budget - Single family home with backyard, etc"

That is a vastly different question now from what it might have been in April of 2019.

Old 10-22-2021, 04:25 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,848 times
Quote:
Sorry if I upset anybody by responding to a comment about Torrance.^^ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Didn't upset me. Why would anyone care about it?

Old 10-22-2021, 04:40 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,075,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvera View Post
Hi,
We are a young family with a 7 month old baby moving to Southern California to be closer to family in Torrance, and we are interested in purchasing a home in Orange County. Commuting is not a consideration when selecting a neighborhood as we work from home. Below are the factors we are considering. We are also open to LA County so we are posting the same question in that forum. Thank you so much for your help!

Requirements:
~700-800K budget
Single family home with backyard
Safety from crime
Safety from environmental hazards such as oil refinery, airport, EPA superfund sites (e.g. El Toro base in Irvine)
Good school district but not cutthroat competitive
Quiet and residential
Proximity to grocery stores and shops

Nice-to-haves:
Decent-sized Asian population
Lot of greenery (tress and parks)
Not in liquefaction and landslide zones

Nice bonus:
Moderate weather
Politically mixed (not dominated by one extreme or the other)

South OC seems nice, but I know very little about the area other than stats. I've heard Fountain Valley mentioned as a possibility as well.
Woodbridge in Irvine would be a good pick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodbr...ne,_California

Old 10-22-2021, 04:53 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,563 times
I found the whole thread interesting and was glad to see it bumped up!

Old 10-23-2021, 09:06 AM

104 posts, read 376,015 times
Woodbridge has toxic soil, the GP plume has migrated there.

Old 10-25-2021, 02:30 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Woodbridge in Irvine would be a good pick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodbr...ne,_California
Anything decent under 800 there now?

Old 11-11-2021, 10:08 AM

104 posts, read 376,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Anything decent under 800 there now?
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/52-...7/home/5497120
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County