Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 08:29 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,831 times

Advertisements

We've tried searching previous posts but haven't found anything. We'll be flying into John Wayne airport (June 2008) and driving North on the Pacific Coast highway. We're thinking about flying out of San Jose...5-7 days later. We are looking for must see, recommendations and tid-bits on some places that the locals enjoy, or that maybe under rated. This includes food establishments, places to sleep and places to see. Thanks in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 08:39 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
You might want to approach this by looking at a map and searching the California City Data forum for keywords of the places you see on the map, for example Venice, Santa Monica, Malibu, Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Simeon, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, Big Sur, Monterey, ......

This query has been asked several times and I'm sure you'll find existing responses. I know I have posted in reply.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:01 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
We've tried searching previous posts but haven't found anything. We'll be flying into John Wayne airport (June 2008) and driving North on the Pacific Coast highway. We're thinking about flying out of San Jose...5-7 days later. We are looking for must see, recommendations and tid-bits on some places that the locals enjoy, or that maybe under rated. This includes food establishments, places to sleep and places to see. Thanks in advance for any
input!
Here's a thread about PCH that may be helpful.
//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...ns-needed.html
Also, if it works, you may want to fly out of Monterey as opposed to San Jose.
I'm in Santa Cruz which you may wanna visit but i always recommend Big Sur ... one of my favorite places on earth.
Big Sur Chamber of Commerce, Big Sur Lodging, Accommodations, Camping
The aquarium in Monterey is great.
Happy Trails.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:27 PM

16 posts, read 72,928 times
Duke's is a fun restaurant on the beaches near Malibu. Cambria is beautiful and Hearst Castle would be on the way. the 17 mile road trip in the Big Sur area

Old 04-21-2008, 06:24 AM

Thanks for the tid-bits and links! I will search under the specific cities. I felt it was odd I would be the first person to ask this question seeing as this is a popular trip.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:27 AM

198 posts, read 354,733 times
Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach..Shorecliffs Motel (great views...reasonable prices..Best Western..Rose's Italian Restaurant), Hearst Castle is a must, 17 mile drive from Carmel to Monterey, Montery and Carmel are worth a day...Santa Cruz is lovely...nice walking in the center of twon..good eats and drinks.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:36 AM

Probably a crazy question...but is there anyone who offers one-way bicycle rentals? Thought about shipping our bikes out to a bike shop there and shipping them back to our bike shop. Just thought it would be easier to rent a bicycle. Not to mention, is there a shoulder to cycle in on the PCH?

Old 04-21-2008, 07:15 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
Probably a crazy question...but is there anyone who offers one-way bicycle rentals? Thought about shipping our bikes out to a bike shop there and shipping them back to our bike shop. Just thought it would be easier to rent a bicycle. Not to mention, is there a shoulder to cycle in on the PCH?
This changes the flavor of this thread. You intend on cycling this route?

I did San Francisco to Moorpark along the Pacific Coast Bike Trail. I took the Amtrak from Oxnard to San Francisco for $59 and the bike was an extra $6 (Mr. Cheap always remembers these things....). I stayed in hostels along the route for like $7 and also Motel 6. I think it was five 80 mile segments.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/charles_ucsb/BIKE_SF2.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-21-2008, 07:59 AM

We just thinking about cycling, we had intended on driving...but I read one of your posts and it got me thinking. We trying to weigh all of our options. We're trying to travel as simple as possible via bags. Not sure yet. I really appreciate your post b/c it helps provide information on another option.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:36 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 in a million View Post
Duke's is a fun restaurant on the beaches near Malibu. Cambria is beautiful and Hearst Castle would be on the way. the 17 mile road trip in the Big Sur area
There's a Dukes in Huntington Beach too - just south of the pier. It's set back from the water a bit, so not quite the view you get at the Malibu Dukes. I've seen dolphins swim by while eating there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County